Squatters rights advice

scottb

Any recommendations for Squatters Rights? Schemes are assassinated, protect territory, outflank, murder protege. My opponent is going Ten Thunders, which could be a variety of Masters as he has several of the dual faction Ten Thunders.

Playing about with ideas, I wondered about:

50ss with MP/PT and outflank
Mah Tucket - Cache:(5)
   Lead Lined Apron 2ss 
   Know the Terrain 1ss 
Fingers 10ss 
   Stilts 1ss 
Mancha Roja 10ss 
   Dirty Cheater 1ss 
Lucky Emissary 10ss 
   Conflux of Bushwhacking 0ss 
The Sow 8ss 
Bayou Gremlin 3ss 
Bayou Gremlin 3ss 

My idea here had been to take people who had big engagement areas, might be a little tough to take down, could push themselves or others around, plus Fingers would do his thing of negating and interacting, and the Bayous go for outflank.

Feedback? It's been a while since I played.

Hmm, two main thoughts. Firstly that Outflank is a really difficult scheme and imo you're better off not considering it in most scheme pools. You have a fairly killy crew set up there, and so I think you could aim for Assassinate against certain masters (Lynch would probably be prime killing material), or Murder Protege if your opponent takes someone expensive that you can dump a bit of effort into killing.

Secondly, you have a very small crew. 7 models is going to let you get out activated a lot, and being able to act last in a turn is really powerful. I'd drop one of your expensive models for some combination of Slop Haulers, Lightning Bugs, and Bayou Gremlins so you have a few more models to work with. Generally I would like to aim for at least 8 models because that at least means you'll be on par with most crews. Having a few more cheaper models also helps you out if you want to keep Outflank too, because currently if your opponent gets second deployment and has a Katanaka Sniper for example, they can probably kill one of your Bayou Gremlins immediately and then you would have to redirect at least 8 stones to scoring Outflank. Definitely keep Fingers though, he can shut down the middle of the board fairly easily. I'd maybe drop The Sow or Mancha Roja (possibly Mancha because imo he's the easiest to kill of your three 10 stone models, to make it harder for your opponent to get murder protege off).

• Like 1

I agree with Dogmantra. I'd also add that taking manifest destiny on mah really makes her tick and, to my mind, should be stappled to her card. 

There's obviously no right answer but I would have went for something along the following lines. 

50 SS Gremlins Crew
Zipp + 6 Pool
 - Dirty Cheater (1)
 - The Gift of Gab (1)
 - Airship Spotlight (1)
Earl Burns (3)
Fingers (10)
 - Stilts (1)
Burt Jebsen (7)
 - Dirty Cheater (1)
Swine-Cursed (7)
Swine-Cursed (7)
Bayou Gremlin (3)
Bayou Gremlin (3)
Bayou Gremlin (3)

Zipp and fingers can stop a lot of interactions to shut down the strategy and zipp is (in my opinion)  the best master we have for achieving and preventing assassinate.

Thanks @Rosskov and @Dogmantra for your feedback. Unfortunately I don't have Zipp yet - he's on the shopping list! @Rosskov - without Zipp, what you would have done?

Also, @Rosskov , what do you mean by 'manifest destiny'? Are you meaning 'conflux of bushwhacking'?

Yeah, having re-read Outflank I had already thought about changing to Murder Protege or Protect Territory, maybe the later as that gives the Bayou's something to focus on rather than split the attention of the bigger guys.

@Dogmantra - get your point about dropping one big guy to replace with two little ones. I also hear your point about Mancha being a bit vulnerable. The thing with Mancha is that he can also potentially push models away with 'Whacked with a Gremlin' and still have 1AP left over to interact. If I was to give him 'Quality Mash Liquor' would that aid his survivability - though I would have to drop 'Dirty Cheater' so that I can still get a Slop Hauler and a Bayou Gremlin. Saying all that, I am aware that the Sow's ability to heal, built in Terror, 2" melee, big base and farrowing could be a really handy mix. Thoughts?

2 hours ago, scottb said:

what do you mean by 'manifest destiny'? Are you meaning 'conflux of bushwhacking'?

Broken Promises just came out which is the fifth book, it contains two new upgrades for all masters. Mah was generally considered weaker, so she got two really good ones. Manifest Destiny is one of those (it ups her spoon range, and if she discards a card outside of a duel, you draw a card, I think it does something else). It is very very strong and if you like Mah it's worth seeing if you can get your hands on the book or the upgrade deck because both of hers are great.

2 hours ago, scottb said:

get your point about dropping one big guy to replace with two little ones. I also hear your point about Mancha being a bit vulnerable. The thing with Mancha is that he can also potentially push models away with 'Whacked with a Gremlin' and still have 1AP left over to interact. If I was to give him 'Quality Mash Liquor' would that aid his survivability - though I would have to drop 'Dirty Cheater' so that I can still get a Slop Hauler and a Bayou Gremlin. Saying all that, I am aware that the Sow's ability to heal, built in Terror, 2" melee, big base and farrowing could be a really handy mix. Thoughts?

Dirty Cheater will do more for Mancha than Quality Mash Liquor imo. His AP is very valuable and while QML heals more, it's only an average of about 1.8 per AP, whereas you could spend that AP killing stuff and healing up a little with Dirty Cheater. If you wanna keep Mancha, I'd keep Dirty Cheater. I'd also maybe suggest giving him On Yer Tiptoes, it's a bit like stilts, you can discard it when you don't like the outcome of an opposed duel to just reset it and start over. It helps with survivability to avoid things like random black jokers.

I think The Sow will probably serve you better than Mancha for the reasons you mentioned, she's big, terrifying will help to drain cards (and you have a pretty card intensive crew there in the first place, so it will hopefully even you up a bit), and also when she dies which to be honest she probably will, she's also not super tough, it doesn't decrease the number of activations you have, which is really helpful.

Depends how tryhard I was going, but even at a not super tryhard level I would probably do a pretty different crew. Fingers is definitely in there, and from there I would grab Burt Jebsen or maybe Francois for Murder/Assassinate, then probably just load up on cheap stuff: Lightning Bugs, Slop Haulers, and Bayou Gremlins, then slot in whichever master I felt like playing. I really enjoy Zoraida in Squatters Rights, so I would maybe bring her and then add in a Nurse and a Will o' the wisp, but if I was playing really hard for the win I would take Som'er or maybe Wong if I was more comfortable with him. I'd probably aim for at least 10 models, which will be a struggle for a Ten Thunders player to match. Then the aim of the game is for Fingers to sit there and deny the middle, with out-activation letting me grab Squat markers at the end of the turn. Main priority is keep Fingers alive (which shouldn't be too hard because he's Fingers).

If I had to pick a full crew right now for this setup I'd go:
Som'er
+Family Tree
+Dirty Cheater
+Do Over

Old Cranky (could easily be 2 Skeeters)

Burt Jebsen
+Dirty Cheater

Fingers

2 Lightning Bugs

1 Slop Hauler

3 Bayou Gremlins

Thanks for taking the time to reply. A few queries: Fingers will shut down two markers for Squater’s Rights, what would be the plan for the other 2-3? Tie up with Lightning Bugs (since 2” melee and can heal)? Also, how would you plan to score from the strategy if the markers have enemy crew nearby and thus preventing interact actions? Finally, is Burt really good enough to deal with Murder on his or would he have to team up with someone?

Plan for shutting down the other markers depends on terrain. Fingers can shut down all 3 if the terrain is right for him.  He also has Don't Mind Me so he can grab markers regardless of engagement. Then you only really need to deny one more, since you can let your opponent take one without scoring. But a lot of it is dependent on terrain and what your opponent does - that's why you bring so many models and spend turn 1 summoning more, so you can have a few activations to respond to your opponent uninterrupted before next turn.

There's also a lot more killing than you'd think. Burt is min damage 3 with potentially 3 attacks a turn, he goes up to min 4 when Som'er hands out a ram. Som'er is min damage 4 when he hands out a ram, and Bugs and Slop Haulers both have great output too. I'd be super confident I had the power to kill most things.

To answer your question,  my own preference would be as follows (if I had to use mah in this list) :

50 SS Gremlins Crew
Mah Tucket + 7 Pool
 - Manifest Destiny (1)
 - Know The Terrain (1)
 - Dirty Cheater (1)
The Little Lass (4)
 - Lead Lined Apron (0)
Fingers (10)
 - Stilts (1)
Francois LaCroix (7)
Burt Jebsen (7)
 - Dirty Cheater (1)
The Sow (8)
Bayou Gremlin (3)
Bayou Gremlin (3)

from memory manifest destiny let's you use get off my land every turn (and cycle a card as you do) with less restrictions after turn one.  It is definitely worth picking up. 

Thanks to @Dogmantra and @Rosskov. I am now toying with the idea of 

Mah Tucket + 6 Pool
 - Manifest Destiny (1)
 - Know The Terrain (1)
 - Dirty Cheater (1)
The Little Lass (4)  - Lead Lined Apron (0)
Fingers (10) - Stilts (1)
Francois LaCroix (7) - Do Over (1)
Burt Jebsen (7)  - Dirty Cheater (1)
Slop Hauler (5)

Bayou Gremlin (3)
Bayou Gremlin (3)
Bayou Gremlin (3)

I could drop one of the upgrades and get another Bayou to take me up to 10 models. Thoughts?

I'd probably team Mah, Lass and Fingers to cover 2-3 markers, and Francios and Burt to try for Murder Protege. Would the Slop be best to back up Fingers/Mah or the other pair (assuming they are too far apart to both benefit)?

I'd swap Stilts onto Francois but it looks good to me (he's got lower defense so it lets him ignore one big hit before he gets to do his thing, OR you can also use it to reduce the damage he deals to himself with Dumb Luck - it's damage from a Ml action, so you can dump the RJ in, deal 14 damage and then drop stilts to avoid taking the 7 in response). 9 models is still above average and you have a lot of killing, so you should be able to make your advantage bigger.

I'd probably have your Sloppy near Fingers/Mah. Burt should be self-sufficient enough with Dirty Cheater, and Francois's best defense is to just obliterate anything in the way. Slop Hauler near Fingers lets you free up some of his AP for shenanigans rather than just healing himself to stay alive.