Looking down the line

OldschoolgameroO

So you all heard this before but, long time wargamer but new to Malifaux.  

Maybe down the line I’ll try another faction but Neverborn has me hooked.  Love the minis, the fluff, and the tactics behind them.

After lurking a while here, decided on Lilith and her crew, Lelu and Lilita, and already have the 2p starter.  Figured this will give me a solid start.

When I get comfortable with that, what’s the best way to proceed.  Continue down her line and get the nephlim box or branch out and start feeling out other masters.  

The Master of puppets set is already calling to me but hear the play on them is finicky.

Lilith has plenty of depth to her so I'd recommend getting a really solid grip on the game with her before branching to another Master. But I know it's sooo tempting :)

You won't go wrong picking up Nekima, Doppelganger, Mr. Graves, and Primordial Magic as they're useful under multiple Masters. I'm also a fan of the Mysterious Emissary and Widow Weaver but their use can be a little more specific. 

Collodi's typical crew play is different to other Masters, but once you get the hang of it no more difficult, and very potent. Note that he probably has the least amount of crossover with the rest of the faction in terms of models in the box. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Awesome thanks for that!

Right now I’m thinking of this as my initial 50ss crew foray and that’s with just the starter and Lilith’s crew:

Leader: Lilith - Cache:(4)
   Summon The Blood  
   Wicked Mistress  
   On Wings of Darkness  
Cherub 
Barbaros  
   Obsidian Talons  
   Nephilim Gladiatus 
Scion of Black Blood  
Terror Tot  
Terror Tot  
Bloodwretch  
Bloodwretch  
Terror Tot 

On 26/11/2017 at 12:47 AM, OldschoolgameroO said:

Awesome thanks for that!

Right now I’m thinking of this as my initial 50ss crew foray and that’s with just the starter and Lilith’s crew:

Leader: Lilith - Cache:(4)
   Summon The Blood  
   Wicked Mistress  
   On Wings of Darkness  
Cherub 
Barbaros  
   Obsidian Talons  
   Nephilim Gladiatus 
Scion of Black Blood  
Terror Tot  
Terror Tot  
Bloodwretch  
Bloodwretch  
Terror Tot 

Looks like a good start. Plenty of activations too which is great. 

Make sure you try out the Beckon Malifaux upgrade at some point. The things you can do with Illusionary Forest once you have a handle on things is pretty amazing.

Many players consider Beckon Malifaux and Wings of Darkness auto-take for Lilith, but try them all and find what fits with your play style.  

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Another thing to consider as you develop your bench and broaden your experience with Lilith is what direction you think you want to go down the road. If you think you are going to be interested in another specific master later then expand your Lilith force with things that will work well for another master.

For example, if you think you might like to play Lucius later then look at Mimics as you expand Lilith. There are a number of Mimis that work well with a Lilith & Nekima list- Mr Graves & Doppleganger (maybe even Changelings)- these would give you more options in your Lilith list, let you try out some other approaches or tactics, and then give you some core models to move over into a Lucius list without starting fresh with a bunch of things you aren't familiar with. 

Accordingly if you might be interested in Dreamer next then look at adding some nightmares to your Lilith list and trying a few new things there which will make it easier to expand into Dreamer later. You can do the same thing with Fae and Titania, Woe and Pandora, Darkened with Lynch, and Swamp Fields with Zoraida. These don't all have the same degree of necessity as Nightmares with Dreamer (summon list) but all have some synergies or thematic tie in with their "aligned" Master.