Killjoy in Seamus crew

Griautis

I believe the wording for his unbury says 'may' so I would say that you should keep that in mind. You don't have to pop him out at the very first thing you kill. You can wait for a more advantageous kill. 

Use your Belles to position the enemy where you want KillJoy to pop out. Use Doxy's, if you have them, to help position KillJoy once he is out on the table and keep him close to enemy models. In theory Seamus should be able to kill things from range with a certain amount of reliability. 

Maybe determining a good target for Killjoy at the top of the game and then a good model nearby that you can kill easily to get him out. He is a lot of points and sometimes bringing him out too early can lead to him getting killed too soon. I see a lot of people try really hard to unbury him turn 1. If he doesn't kill a lot of stuff before he is killed, you'll be sorely outmatched. However, opponents do tend to put a lot of effort into targeting him, so he can also be used to distract your opponent from your other models as they go about scheming. 

I don't use him myself though, so all theory really. 

• Like 1

If I had to it wouldn't matter what I put in my crew. Killjoy isn't a very good model to use with Seamus so just putting in what you want is as effective as putting in any other particular model. There isn't some grand synergy that will make killjoy work any better with a master he isn't very synergistic with. 

If you have to take him then I'd take whatever models you happen to like the look of. They'll be as effective as an suggestion anyone here will give you. ;)

• Like 3

You would use Killjoy in very different ways depending on what sort of game you were playing. 

In some games he would be the threat in the wings, waiting buried, daring your opponent to kill one of your models, but otehr times you want him on the table killing as much as he can before he dies. I faced him in a interference game, and I had to try and work out which of his models I could kill safely each turn to not let him loose into my weaker models (Trying to kill models that were a bad spot for Killjoy to be unburied from). but teh down siode to my opponent was that they had nearly 1/3rd of their points not on the table to help them score. 

Pick your crew to compete at the game in front of you is my advice, not build 1 crew, and then just use it regardless. That doesn't work very well for Malifaux most of the time.

Why do you have to use Killjoy with Seamus?

And what sort of game are you playing?

My crew selection would also vary depending on the table I'm going to play on. 

Well, the basic matter is that I'm just starting :) And however much I'd want, I can't just go out and buy all the resser and merc models out there at once to have everything to choose from :) Picked up Killjoy because he's a great looking model and now trying to see how can I go around with him. At least until I get ahold of more models 

7 minutes ago, Griautis said:

Picked up Killjoy because he's a great looking model and now trying to see how can I go around with him. At least until I get ahold of more models

Assuming that everything you have by now is Seamus box and Killjoy I would say that Copycat Killer can be your prime bait to unbury Killjoy (if you start with him buried). Copycat's respectable damage track can pose serious threat on your opponents low df models (which are usually scary enforces).

As others said, Seamus has no synergy with Killjoy and there is no reason to run them both in one crew. If you are looking for Ressurectionist masters who can make some good of his starting the game buried ability, these are Molly, Reva and Tara. But even they have much better options to run than Killjoy.

If you're looking for some good models to expand your Seamus crew in particular, then I would say that Dead Doxies, Nurse, Chiaki, Yin the Penangalan and Rogue Necromancy (that last one is probably debatable, but I find it really good with Seamus new "Do you know who I am?" upgrade) are your next purchases.

And don't bother with too many mercenary models. As a Ressurectionist you don't need any.

Carrion Emissary or Asura Roten would be my top picks for adds. Assuming competitiveness, with Seamus, and not theme is your primary goal.

Just to be clear I also own Killjoy and he was an ok model for his time. The issue is he was an early 2nd edition design and Wyrd has gone past what was considered balanced and fair for the cost at that time with more recent releases. There has been power creep that has left him far behind. There are 7 and 8 stone models that kill as well as he does and have as more or more sirvivability and mobility. No one faults you for liking his model or wanting to use him, or buying him. As I said I own him myself. But there isn't a crew build that will maximize his effectiveness to the point where he's even a pick for parity of effectiveness against other cheaper options.

If you like his model, which I also do, use him as a proxy for the Emissary or Archie. That would be my advice.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, thatlatinspeakingguy said:

Assuming that everything you have by now is Seamus box and Killjoy I would say that Copycat Killer can be your prime bait to unbury Killjoy (if you start with him buried). Copycat's respectable damage track can pose serious threat on your opponents low df models (which are usually scary enforces).

As others said, Seamus has no synergy with Killjoy and there is no reason to run them both in one crew. If you are looking for Ressurectionist masters who can make some good of his starting the game buried ability, these are Molly, Reva and Tara. But even they have much better options to run than Killjoy.

If you're looking for some good models to expand your Seamus crew in particular, then I would say that Dead Doxies, Nurse, Chiaki, Yin the Penangalan and Rogue Necromancy (that last one is probably debatable, but I find it really good with Seamus new "Do you know who I am?" upgrade) are your next purchases.

And don't bother with too many mercenary models. As a Ressurectionist you don't need any.

Thanks ;)

1 minute ago, Fetid Strumpet said:

Carrion Emissary or Asura Roten would be my top picks for adds. Assuming competitiveness, with Seamus, and not theme is your primary goal. 

Those models seem fine. I'd like to avoid too spirit like Models, as I don't really like the aesthetic, or too Three Kingdoms inspired models (again not a fan of eastern aesthetics). However, having said that Yin looks amazing, even tho it hits both checkboxes of what I'd like to avoid, so... :) 

I'm looking to build a competitive force on the ressers over time, and started with him for now :) 

10 minutes ago, Fetid Strumpet said:

As an aside, Seamus is my favorite master, but if you are looking for a competitive option he's one of the weaker masters in the game and by far the weakest master in Ressers. Just be aware of that fact if competitiveness is a goal.

Once I'm done painting Seamus crew + a few models to support him, I'm planning to get McMourning, later Nicodem. Probably will take Molly some time later too. Anyways, my current issues are mostly 
a ) I don't know how to play properly yet
b ) I don't have a large selection of models yet

Both will get better over time, but for now, I need to handle things with what I have :)

1 hour ago, Fetid Strumpet said:

Carrion Emissary or Asura Roten would be my top picks for adds.

Good thing I checked into Asura Roten before I made a mistake of buying her. Please next time caveat your suggestions of getting Asura Roten with the fact that a Mindless Zombies box is also required with her, as she summons them, and yet her box doesn't have any :) 

2 hours ago, Griautis said:

Good thing I checked into Asura Roten before I made a mistake of buying her. Please next time caveat your suggestions of getting Asura Roten with the fact that a Mindless Zombies box is also required with her, as she summons them, and yet her box doesn't have any :)

A caveat for you: Carrion Emissary also summons them. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I've had some success playing Killjoy with Seamus although I've also ran datasu ba in the same crew as my killjoy delivery system. Datsu ba walks 10 up the board summons a seishin 6 inches away. seishin activates and sacrifices itself and killjoy pops out. 

The rest of the crew is usually also fairly elite and almost always terrifying.