Niu_7

Salut! Some time ago I've planned to start Malifaux with Neverborn fraction but was interrupted. Now I think to start Malifaux but I am looking at the Arcanists fraction also. 

I like Ironsides, Raspy, Kaeris, Sandeep, and Ramos. Which of those masters competitive enough? How good those masters in Neverborn/Outcast/Gremlin meta?

Which of those masters are comfortable and competitive enough for start? 

You can't go wrong with picking up the Ironsides and Ramos box. You will very often find a place for Joss, Howard, or 3 oxfordian mages. Ironsides just got a solid buff, Raspy has always be a solid B, Kaeris is sadly just not great, Sandeep is our power house atm, and Ramos will win you games in certain pools but only those pools. Raspy is amazing against Neverborn because they like to do paralyze and horror duels, and frozen heart says no. She also has snow storm who has tons of Bullet Proof, which outcast and gremlins have a solid amount of shooting. Her box however is not great. The Golem is never seen, and only maybe soon because she can now summon it. 
So honestly, I'd say everyone but Kaeris is a solid pickup. I love Kaeris, I do. She just really....isn't worth the Master AP.

Salut!

The Ramos box indeed has the advantage of bringing Joss and Howard which are seen in many arcanist crews. The arachnids are also goid scheme runners. If you want to play Ramos, you would have to buy some more arachnids and either mobile toolkit, or electric creation or union steamfitter. With this you can perfectly play Ramos.

A showgirl like Angelica or Carlos Vasquez to hold the practiced production upgrade is a great addition to any arcanist crew. Angelica is cheaper than Carlos and brings useful pushes. Carlos is a great tank but his role may overlap with Joss a bit.

Arcane effify y Johan would another addition. They both brings cindition remocal. Effigy is a great schemer. Johan has sinergies in Ramos' or Ironsides' lists.

Ironsides would indeed sinergies well with Ramos. Her box also gives you the oxfordian mages who are great fir their cost. Kaeris, Sandeep and Rasputina boxes would bring less minis to the faction or would require more purchases to be effective.

Which one of these 5 masters appeal you the most?

Just now, Franchute said:

Salut!

The Ramos box indeed has the advantage of bringing Joss and Howard which are seen in many arcanist crews. The arachnids are also goid scheme runners. If you want to play Ramos, you would have to buy some more arachnids and either mobile toolkit, or electric creation or union steamfitter. With this you can perfectly play Ramos.

A showgirl like Angelica or Carlos Vasquez to hold the practiced production upgrade is a great addition to any arcanist crew. Angelica is cheaper than Carlos and brings useful pushes. Carlos is a great tank but his role may overlap with Joss a bit.

Arcane effify y Johan would another addition. They both brings cindition remocal. Effigy is a great schemer. Johan has sinergies in Ramos' or Ironsides' lists.

Ironsides would indeed sinergies well with Ramos. Her box also gives you the oxfordian mages who are great fir their cost. Kaeris, Sandeep and Rasputina boxes would bring less minis to the faction or would require more purchases to be effective.

Which one of these 5 masters appeal you the most?

I like them all but I think that will start with Ironsides and then get Raspy alt box and Sandeep. The last will be Ramos I think. Also I am wonder about Colette. How huge nerf she got? Can she still be competitive master? Aloso I like Mei but from I read it seems that she isn't good at Arcanists. Or I am wrong?

Just now, WWHSD said:

How competitively are you planning on playing Malifaux?

Well if I will start next month I am planning to go to the some major tournaments  in the Moscow (I am from Voronezh) next summer. If I will do it OK then I want to visit somthig bigger then Moscow tournaments. But only next winter.

Ramos and Rasputina are very strong masters at what they do but with very simple playstyles, so your opponents are unlikely to be surprised by them after a few games. Ramos' crew box is one of the best though, and the models in it are usable by basically all other masters.

Kaeris and Colette are the weird masters, both of them are strongly support based and focus on strengthening your crew. They're the weaker end of our masters right now, but gg18 might change that. Colette's box has Cassandra and Performers, both of which everyone else likes to have too.

Ironsides is support done right, with the best buffing aura in the game with Hand Picked Men, potentially a ton of survivability, and can get a lot of attacks off. The Oxfordians are also pretty good with their Temporary Shielding upgrade (it's not in the box). She's one of my favourite masters so I'm biased but I think her playstyle is great!

Sandeep is the king currently, not because he's amazing himself (he's just okay alone), but the upgrades he gives his Gamin and the fact that friendly models can borrow his actions changes the game so much it's nuts. You can summon in models with Don't Mind Me, ones that can interact the turn they're summoned, or give a + to all actions taken by models around it. It's nuts just the flexibility he gives you. Basically nothing in his box will be used by anyone else though, and he really wants more Gamin for summons

As usual good advice from all.

So to add my 10c

• Ironsides is an outstanding initial choice, with recent buffs she plays strong and her style also quite suits beginners, she is durable and her buff mechanics and crew boosts are fairly simple and Malifaux is a game that quickly gets complicated so take the simplicity where you find it.  Competitive, fun to play and play against I think and also she can run with a lot of Arcanist models well.  In her box the OxMages are great as a triplet, the Captain is OK but you'll find he's over costed as you learn the game and Mouse is the totem not worth taking.
  • Raspy is another very good master, the Arcanist blaster and her crew (barring the poor Ice Golem) of Frozen Heart models are good to outstanding, with recent upgrades in Book 5 she has some interesting and valid new options.  She plays well for beginners in particular by preventing one of the most frustrating 'denial play' experiences Horror Duels and Paralyze which FH is immune to, its not that these powers are OP but they are a real frustration for beginners to learn to manage and NB crews (rezzers as well) really can build hellish horror lists, Raspy is the hard counter.  Even with the increased price tag her LE box is good value as you get Snow Storm, which you'll use a fair bit, over the Golem, which you won't use as much; be warned though the Golem can now be summoned with an upgrade and the ONLY way to currently get one is in base Raspy crew box or secondary market (or of course using a proxy). 
  • Sandeep is an outstanding and powerful master, really has many excellent options and plays well into almost any game, best master in Arcanist for general play, probably the best toolbox master currently available in any faction.  His box however is not great for him and terrible for supporting other masters and crews.
  • Kaeris is a fun master but low tier competitive, she is a little bit fast, scheme-y, durable and can kinda tricksy hit but is not great at anything and below many other masters in the faction at most of these key things, her crew box is poor to average with the Firestrater being a solid henchman but the rest really situationally limited.  This is a purchase for style and desire to play and not for competitive play.
  • Ramos is frankly an auto-choice because of two things (1) he is a solid master and one of the most efficient summoners in the game, with the summoning engine relatively easy to start, so he can dominate certain games and is usually always competitive. (2) and more important in many ways his box is simply must buy long-term for Arcanist players it has great little fill in scheme runners in the fast and durable steam arachnids and the deadliest enforcer in Arcanists in Howard and one of the best and more flexible henchmen in the durable Joss, simply superb value as a playable master and with cross-play from his box to the rest of the faction.
  • Colette is a tragic figure of the stage, she was one of the most dominant masters in the game (with a sadly limited play of multi-prompting a big beater, but it was effective) until recent nerfs prevented this.  She and her crew were also good tricksy schemers and generally she was regarded as first tier.  However her nerf coupled with new upgrades and models in Books 4 & 5 have really hurt her badly and she has fallen from grace to hide in the wings, her play style is limited and while you can build an effective crew for many pools (maybe more in GG 2018) she is also extremely unforgiving and fragile, if you make a mistake with her you are done, it was always this way but it used to be balanced by the overall power and flexibility of her crew alongside a tricky to bypass misdirection durability.  Now her power, efficiency and durability have all dropped and she remains one of the harder Arcanist masters to learn but also one of the weaker ones to play, so take her because you love the showgirl vibe but not a good competitive master and also poor for beginners.

Those are my takes on the masters you mentioned.  Also worth saying,

Marcus is the Arcanist master and lord of beast, great competitive and powerful master and crew with a truly huge selection of any Beast in the game makes him incredibly flexible and varied but horribly expensive if you go nuts on out of faction beast purchases which then have zero utility in other Arcanist crews.  

Mei is cross-faction TT and honestly is regarded as being vastly better as a TT master than Arcanist.  Similar tier to Kaeris and Colette, so generally considered weak competitively.  She is a fast, surprise angles of attack master who has some synergy with constructs and is best against shooting crews and rezzer faction but really not so much so that other Arcanist masters don't out perform her in these situations anyway.

I'd get Ironsides and tehn either Raspy or Ramos followed by the other of these two.  Also want to get Arcane Effigy, December Acolyte, Johan (merc) as priority purchases as each of these models has excellent general use in Arcanists and in particular Johan (also can be seen as female alt Johanna) has amazing synergy with Ironsides.

Luck

2 hours ago, Niu_7 said:

Oh, thank you all!
From what I understand for me it's great to start with Ironsides and Sandeep. If I will get those two boxes what else I should get? As a beginner? Also, I am really like Amina Naidu model - will she work with those masters?

If I was to grab two boxes per Master, I'd get Amina Naidu and Large Arachnids for Ironsides, and Kandara and Wind Gamin for Sandeep.  Both of them have pretty open pools of what you can buy, Ironsides loves all M&SU and Sandeep really wants you to buy Kaeris and Raspy's box sets for more Gamin to summon :)