Neverborn Deployment and Movement

AngelRogue

Hello. I began asking questions in another thread about tactics that I could not find in other tactica threads; specifically deployment and movement. Most threads consist of which models to place and how you order their actions for the best effect. Here I ask, what placement and movement do you like for your different Masters' crews? I understand that different schemes and strategies may change it up some, and that different players like different playstyles, but I would think that there are some steadfast approaches for them as well. 

First strategy, then schemes determine the main 'zones' of the map where the game will be played. Place your models appropriately. Some general things I keep in mind:

1. Move to be in position not only this turn, but also the following turn. This is the idea that the less AP you use on Walking, the better. After turn 1, use all your AP to charge/scheme. Don't walk when avoidable.

2. Similarly, try to force your opponent to use AP on movement as much as possible. Purposely send a Gupp to a place far away from the rest of your crew to score Claim Jump for free/bluff it, so they have to dedicate something to deal with it.

3. Only move into cover if it won't hinder your movement/it'll actually help you survive. It's ok to take a few extra wounds if it means you'll actually get to the position you want. If you have to spend an extra AP just because you wanted to get some cover against potshots, you've wasted AP (think of how Gremlins will always take the wound to generate more AP... why would you not do the same?).

• Like 1

I appreciate that, but that is not quite what I mean. I have seen some talk of making a bubble around Pandora. In rezzers, grouping belles and sybelle while seamus runs around separate. But other than that, I haven't seen a lot mentioned for other Masters aside from what models players like with the Master. I am hoping for something like that for all the Neverborn Masters, as a helpful guide for us newer players. 

Also, as a side note,  being new, I have no idea how gremlins operate. 

The amount of area damage/alpha potential on the opposing crew is a really big consideration. Deploying first againat a Shenlong liat wiyh double snipers or a Collodi list with a trapper and three changelings you need to consider sight lines etc. It's hard to make a comprehensive list of all these factors.

I tend to deploy more centrally if I deploy first. If you go second you can try to counter their deployment somewhat. 

For my own crew I try to have the order I want to activate in pretty clear. Graves needs to be able to push a model without hitting other bases. Lucius wants to be able to end his first move in range to command any forward deployed snipers and in range to scare Graves to take that fence post after his walk. That also means I need to consider LoS for a few critical models after a few moves. Changelings want to be able to do their move and reach the sniper they intend to copy if you do that setup. Deployment usually centers on where esch model is supposed to end turn one.

I uually put a model on each flank for claim jump or leave your mark. I often end up clustered with most of my other models because our tables are usually cluttered with houses making the avenues of approach pretty limited. 

• Like 1

First step:ensure there are no direct Los from one deployment zone to the other without cover.

Second step: ensure 66% -75% of the board is covered with terrain with at least 1/3 of that being blocking.

Third step: look at strategy and schemes - can I afford to bunch up.

Do I focus on one to two areas of the board or do I need to swamp the board.

Am I giving away easy points, by risking weak single runners or grouping together.

Fourth step: with crew selected and announced look at your opponents potential early threats and high priority targets.

Are you going to need to use bait to draw them in?

Can you afford to weather the blasts, pulses and auras they can hit multiple targets with.

Fifth step:play enough Gears of War on insane to know how important cover is.

Crew specific: Lucius will want at least 1/2 your hires bunched round him for positive flips but will like a couple of skirting models distracting attention.

Dreamer will generally have a bubble of nightmares around him if he's summoning and ideally even if he's not as a defensive measure.

The potential for the Dreamer to now more aggressively summon Nytemare may mean less bunching up in some play styles but this would be decided in the hiring phase.

Pandora and Titania both run similar bubbles  aimed to drain hands and causr damage, one is better at killing the other at schemes.

They both run a secondary group as runners or a strike force for a second flank etc.

They can run more like a guided missile and let the crew do its own thing but I'm unsure of the potential success for such ventures.

Collodi likes a whirling ball of death whether he's going to pump out buffs or steal them off other models.

Leaving Zoraida who will keep two hitters together "if" she wants dolls summoned into dual fears given form.

Otherwise she will sit back with condition spamming support pieces.

She lacks any further inclination to bunch up unless you are running McTavish.

Leaving Lynch and Lilith who generally will have less of a reason to group together.

• Thanks 1

Thank you everyone. All the info is great. And especially thanks Vorschlag. That was exactly the info I was searching for. I know that how you approach each match will be different due to objectives and reaction to the other player, but I was thinking of it like football formations, for no better term at the moment. 

A lot of times, in my summoning pandora crews, I run her with all the wp support bubbled up towards the main goal of the game (extraction + 1doable scheme near extraction) and my beater as kind of a flanking unit. Because I love taking the hooded rider, he kinda fits this job and already likes to stay a bit more hidden and safe for the first few turns. After he killed some enemy schemerunners he has enough mobility to get back to the main group in later turns. 

Box Pandora is kind of the other way around. Pandora wanders off on her own to tarpit the enemy bubble and the crew focuses on the strat and schemes.

Zoraida I like to run with her in the center as kind of a hub enabling the rest of my crew. And the rest of my crew is mostly in smaller tagteams for specific jobs.