been a while since I've asked, what was your last list you played

4thstringer

I do not get to play as much as I would like, my last game this week was a Guild VS Guild with me  running Lucius against Lady Justice.

Strategy: Ours, Flank Deployment. Scheme: Guard Treasure, Dig their Graves, Set Up, Vendetta, Public Demonstration.

My 50ss list:

Master: Lucius + Deep Pockets & Surprisingly Loyal

Totem: The Scribe - Henchmen: The Jury + Numb to the World

Minions: 2 x Witchling Thrall - 2 x Guild Guard - Thalarian Queller - Witchling Stalker

I cannot remember my opponents list exactly but it had was Lady J, Pheona, The Jury, Deathmarshal Recruter, Big Jake and a couple of reporters.

The final score was Lucius 10, Lady J 3.  I got full for  Public Demo on turn 2 thanks to some well placed Suppression Markers and a Black Joker from Lady J's damage flip.  Turn 3 Pheona scored 1 for Dig allowing me to get 3 for Vendetta upon killing her with the Jury. 

I have to say I had some great hands all game and lucky that my opponent could not score Vendetta, no matter what direction his Jury went my Thrall ended up going the other way (I cannot claim skill on that, it was just fate being on my side) and Lady J just could not land enough hits on him in turn 5.

I smell a rematch in the making.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Impact UK said:

I do not get to play as much as I would like, my last game this week was a Guild VS Guild with me  running Lucius against Lady Justice.

Strategy: Ours, Flank Deployment. Scheme: Guard Treasure, Dig their Graves, Set Up, Vendetta, Public Demonstration.

My 50ss list:

Master: Lucius + Deep Pockets & Surprisingly Loyal

Totem: The Scribe - Henchmen: The Jury + Numb to the World

Minions: 2 x Witchling Thrall - 2 x Guild Guard - Thalarian Queller - Witchling Stalker

I cannot remember my opponents list exactly but it had was Lady J, Pheona, The Jury, Deathmarshal Recruter, Big Jake and a couple of reporters.

The final score was Lucius 10, Lady J 3.  I got full for  Public Demo on turn 2 thanks to some well placed Suppression Markers and a Black Joker from Lady J's damage flip.  Turn 3 Pheona scored 1 for Dig allowing me to get 3 for Vendetta upon killing her with the Jury. 

I have to say I had some great hands all game and lucky that my opponent could not score Vendetta, no matter what direction his Jury went my Thrall ended up going the other way (I cannot claim skill on that, it was just fate being on my side) and Lady J just could not land enough hits on him in turn 5.

I smell a rematch in the making.

I don't like jury for vendetta.   She's not fast enough to get where you want her, her range isn't very good, and often you will want her aura in a specific area.

• Agree 1

19 hours ago, admiralvorkraft said:

Yeah, Jury wouldn't be my first choice. Especially in Guild, half the faction has a 12" pistol to just get that first point on the board.

Good job all around though!

19 hours ago, admiralvorkraft said:

Yeah, Jury wouldn't be my first choice. Especially in Guild, half the faction has a 12" pistol to just get that first point on the board.

Good job all around though!

Fully agree and normally I would not have chosen her for the job but I expected to face Nellie so my game plan was thrown off a little at the beginning.  I do have that rematch today and I am expecting him to throw Nellie at me this time.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Impact UK said:

Fully agree and normally I would not have chosen her for the job but I expected to face Nellie so my game plan was thrown off a little at the beginning.  I do have that rematch today and I am expecting him to throw Nellie at me this time.

Can't wait to hear how it goes.  

• Like 1

I played this sunday against ten thunders :

Flank
PLY    2-2
SURROND 1-2
DIG    3-0
INESCAPABLE TRAP    0-0
SEARCH THE RUINS    0-0
PUBLIC DEMONSTRATION    0-0

NELLIE - DELEGATION - ALTERNATE FACTS - MISLEADING HEADLINES
pRINTING PRESS
PHIONA - WRATH OF THE GUILD - TRANSPARENCY
EXECUTIONNER - READY TO WORK
GUILD HOUND X 3
FIELD REPORTER X 2
RIOTBREAKER

MISAKI - ON WINGS OF WIND - RECALLED TRAINING - THE STORM
SENSEI YU - WANDERING RIVER STYLE - THE PEACEFUL WATERS
KATANAKA CRIME BOSS - EQUALITY
LOTUS EATER
MONK OF LOW RIVER
TEN THUNDER BROTHER X 2
PERFORMER

turn 1
Misleading headlines forces ten thunders to move first. They move forward, splitting models beetwen corners and center of the map. Misaki gains fast to prepare a massive attack on turn 2.
Executionner charges and kills crime boss.
Guild move forward, mostly toward center

Nothing really game changing here. The executionner killed the second beater of ten thunders but will die next turn.

Turn 2
Executionner gets Misaki to half life. Misaki use recall training, kills executionners, charge nearly in my deployment the riotbreaker, bringing him to 1 wound and killing both reporter. 2 dogs engage on one side performer + 1 brother. Phiona + one dog kills Misaki for dig their graves. No major threat remains in opponent team, Nellie moves forward to tarpit opponent Monk+sensei around middle

At this moment, the ten thunder lost theirs beaters, but killed my models able to deny opponent scheme markers.

Turn 3
The press move to one corner against one brother to prevent him from scheming. 3 dogs vs performer + brother result in a stalemate. The dogs have the advantage on ply thanks to companion. On middle, Sensei Yu + monk + lotus eater takes a beatnig from Nellie + Phiona + riot breaker. No one is killed, but the advantage is to the guild

Next turns :
Dogs take advantage on one corner, killing the brother and plying the performer
The second brother leaves the corner to get back to center.
Sensei Yu dies in middle

result 6-4
The TT had only 2 schemes on middle, scoring 0 on search the ruins. I misjudged a distance scoring only 1 on surround.

Phiona was decsive in this game, scoring 3 points on dig their graves while dealing a lot of damage.
This was the second test of the executionner. It is a scary model, with a huge threath range.
Riotbreaker soaked damage from the boss but was not decisive here. His low defense allowed Misaki to blast on other models. Otherwise, he was mostly useless during the game. I am really not impressed by this model.

• Like 2

I put Lucius on the table, expecting a possible Lucius player to show up, and gave him the death marshal recruiter and a death marshal to see what might transpire. The recruiter died messily turn one, and the death marshal missed every one of the six attacks it got to take against stat 5 before dying as well. Useless.

Then set up a witch hunter henchman hardcore and was tabled by the middle of turn two, having rapid fired with Samael for a grand total of no damage and failing to ricochet so much as an ice gamin to death.

It was not a good night.

yes.....after being away from vacation and then traveling for work I finally got my first game in a couple of weeks while out in the DC area for work. We played the pool for the upcoming NOVA GG2018 event Round 5: Public Execution (Corner); w/Guarded Treasure, Show of Force, Search the Ruins, Vendetta, and Covert Breakthrough.

I played: Perdita w/Trick Shooting & Fastest Draw in Malifaux; Frank w/Wade In & Lead Lined Coat; Phiona w/Lead Lined Coat & Debt to the Guild; Captain Dashel w/Arrest Him, Executioner w/Ready to Work; Guild Investigator, and Brutal Effigy 

He played: Von Schill w/Nythera Aftermath, The Shirt Comes Off, and Oath of the Freikorps; Steam Trunk; Hannah w/I Pay Better and The Bigger They Are; Lazarus w/Scramble; Greed, Freikorps Engineer; and an Obedient Wretch

Was a really good game....this was my first game with Perdita (I know....I know....I usually just stick to Lucius, Lady J, Sonnia, or Nellie...and don't worry about the other masters) but there were a lot of carry overs between how I would play this with Sonnia and Perdita so I wasn't going in completely cold. I really missed not having the Queller in my list which would have allowed Frank and Phiona to open up the Friekorps stuff like tin cans but persevered through it anyway.

I took Show of Force and Search the Ruins; he took Vendetta (Greed vs. Frank) and Show.

Final score was: 6-2, win for me. I scored 3 points for Search, 2 points for Show, and 1 pt for Public. He scored 2 points for Show.

We went into turn 5 with me up 3-2 and then called it after the second activation- he activated Von Schill (who was under Just Act Casual) and I was able to shut him down, then I activated the Effigy to buff Perdita and drop the last scheme marker I needed for 3 pts for Search and we called it as there was no way for him to win at that point. At this point I had Perdita, the Effigy, Dashel, Frank, the Investigator, and a Guild Guard (thanks Dashel) left with everyone except the Effigy still to activate. He had Von Schill (already activated), the Obedient Wretch, Steam Trunk, and 3 x Malifaux Rats. In a tournament we would have played it out and I should have been able to get to and kill the Wretch for another point of Public Executions and got Frank back into the middle for the last point of Show; however, in this case it didn't matter so we didn't bother. 

Overall I took a fairly reserved approach and the first turn was very positional with the Guild Investigator pushing some things around, Phiona dropping the Stone to block some LOS, Frank and the Effigy buffing Perdita, and me positioning to on the last activation push to Frank where I could go after 1 x key target- either Hannah, Greed, or Lazarus....Laz was at Armor +3 and in the Woods so even if I used the (0) to ignore armor I was going to be at (-) to hit, same with Hannah (armor and cover), so I chose to blast away at Greed using the (0) to ignore cover. Killing Greed 1st turn turned out to be huge for me in the long run since he had taken Vendetta with Greed vs. Frank. 

The whole game was really tactical and on turn 2 and 3 we ended up tied on the number of models killed so neither of us scored Public on those turns. Turn 2 I took some risk by slamming the Executioner into the middle of Lazarus, Hannah, and the Engineer......I had the cards where I thought I could take Hannah down- there was also one of his scheme markers nearby so I was counting on the extra attack from the (0)- but he flipped such that I couldn't cheat in for damage and with Von Schill giving her hard to Kill I couldn't get it done so didn't cheat the one time I could have. It was a calculated risk as I knew if I pulled it off it was going to significantly disadvantage him (this was early turn 2) plus have him down both Greed and Hannah at that point and pin most of his other stuff back where I could start easily scoring Show but even if I didn't kill her I was potentially holding him up and and forcing him to dedicate multiple models to deal with the Executioner. Turn 3 Phiona put damage on Lazarus and Wide Swung into the Engineer almost killing her. Von Schill killed Phiona and Perdita finished off Hannah; . Turn 4 Frank flurried on Lazarus and finished him off, Perdita killed the Engineer. Turn 5 I briefly summarized above.

Generally I still think I would prefer Lucius, Nellie, or Sonnia for this type of pool and although I got a lot out of the Investigator I really missed the Queller going up against all that armor....and the Hard to Kill on almost everything was pretty tough too. It was a really good game and a lot of fun though- there were definitely moments where things could have gone either direction but losing Greed and being capped on turn 1 with the loss of a scheme definitely put him on the back foot. However, the played through it well and it was a really awesome game. Games with Owen are always great and it is always a good time whenever I am in town and he or one of the other guys are available to play. 

14 hours ago, thewrathchilde said:

We went into turn 5 with me up 3-2 and then called it after the second activation- he activated Von Schill (who was under Just Act Casual) and I was able to shut him down, then I activated the Effigy to buff Perdita and drop the last scheme marker I needed for 3 pts for Search and we called it as there was no way for him to win at that point. At this point I had Perdita, the Effigy, Dashel, Frank, the Investigator, and a Guild Guard (thanks Dashel) left with everyone except the Effigy still to activate. He had Von Schill (already activated), the Obedient Wretch, Steam Trunk, and 3 x Malifaux Rats. In a tournament we would have played it out and I should have been able to get to and kill the Wretch for another point of Public Executions and got Frank back into the middle for the last point of Show; however, in this case it didn't matter so we didn't bother. 

Overall I took a fairly reserved approach and the first turn was very positional with the Guild Investigator pushing some things around, Phiona dropping the Stone to block some LOS, Frank and the Effigy buffing Perdita, and me positioning to on the last activation push to Frank where I could go after 1 x key target- either Hannah, Greed, or Lazarus....Laz was at Armor +3 and in the Woods so even if I used the (0) to ignore armor I was going to be at (-) to hit, same with Hannah (armor and cover), so I chose to blast away at Greed using the (0) to ignore cover. Killing Greed 1st turn turned out to be huge for me in the long run since he had taken Vendetta with Greed vs. Frank. 

The whole game was really tactical and on turn 2 and 3 we ended up tied on the number of models killed so neither of us scored Public on those turns. Turn 2 I took some risk by slamming the Executioner into the middle of Lazarus, Hannah, and the Engineer......I had the cards where I thought I could take Hannah down- there was also one of his scheme markers nearby so I was counting on the extra attack from the (0)- but he flipped such that I couldn't cheat in for damage and with Von Schill giving her hard to Kill I couldn't get it done so didn't cheat the one time I could have. It was a calculated risk as I knew if I pulled it off it was going to significantly disadvantage him (this was early turn 2) plus have him down both Greed and Hannah at that point and pin most of his other stuff back where I could start easily scoring Show but even if I didn't kill her I was potentially holding him up and and forcing him to dedicate multiple models to deal with the Executioner. Turn 3 Phiona put damage on Lazarus and Wide Swung into the Engineer almost killing her. Von Schill killed Phiona and Perdita finished off Hannah; . Turn 4 Frank flurried on Lazarus and finished him off, Perdita killed the Engineer. Turn 5 I briefly summarized above.

Generally I still think I would prefer Lucius, Nellie, or Sonnia for this type of pool and although I got a lot out of the Investigator I really missed the Queller going up against all that armor....and the Hard to Kill on almost everything was pretty tough too. It was a really good game and a lot of fun though- there were definitely moments where things could have gone either direction but losing Greed and being capped on turn 1 with the loss of a scheme definitely put him on the back foot. However, the played through it well and it was a really awesome game. Games with Owen are always great and it is always a good time whenever I am in town and he or one of the other guys are available to play. 

Just a heads up, the investigator can't put "Just act natural" on a master. 

31 minutes ago, 4thstringer said:

Just a heads up, the investigator can't put "Just act natural" on a master. 

Hmmm.... I played that wrong and neither one of us caught it.

Don’t think it would have changed the outcome- I used it once on the bottom of turn 4 and didn’t even read it- one of those occasions where you think you know how something works.... without it he could have duplicated his attacks instead of doing different ones but I had cheated high enough to stop him with Perdita anyway..... had he charged something else or got the kill on her or someone else it would have made it closer if I was unable to get Shed Blood as well but it still would have been a 6-3 in my favor. 

That was first time out for me with the Investigator- just got the model right before vacation when it released. As I get more play with him I won’t be making mistakes that way. 

15 minutes ago, thewrathchilde said:

Hmmm.... I played that wrong and neither one of us caught it.

Don’t think it would have changed the outcome- I used it once on the bottom of turn 4 and didn’t even read it- one of those occasions where you think you know how something works.... without it he could have duplicated his attacks instead of doing different ones but I had cheated high enough to stop him with Perdita anyway..... had he charged something else or got the kill on her or someone else it would have made it closer if I was unable to get Shed Blood as well but it still would have been a 6-3 in my favor. 

That was first time out for me with the Investigator- just got the model right before vacation when it released. As I get more play with him I won’t be making mistakes that way. 

It's  a great model, the more I play it the more I like it. 

39 minutes ago, 4thstringer said:

It's  a great model, the more I play it the more I like it. 

This was my first game with him. The couple of people I normally play with don’t play/use proxies  so I had never tried him out till now. I had pre-ordered them back in January but......

i can definitely see the benefit. In that game a Queller would have served me better though. 

I just do not click with Misleading Headlines. Ok, it was useful to have something to do with all those aces in hand turn one, but I failed incite every time. Even when trying to waste activation by inciting a mindless zombie!

Nellie with Misleading Headlines, Embedded (for other qualities than mercs), Alternate Facts

Phiona, Transparency, Debt to the Guild

Master Queeg, Promises, Lead Lined Coat

Hunter

Investigator

two Field Reporters

the Printing Press

into Seamus with doxy spam. Corner deployment let Queeg and the investigator do their thing, Nellie flicked Phiona upfield, and she put Debt hurt on some doxies. But then Bete Noire got paralyze on Phiona. From there it was a close match—Nellie was all but soloing Dig Their Graves plus Punish the Weak, reporters did nothing as usual, the investigator and hunter had to run after the far-away symbols to have a chance at collecting enough in time. I missed killing the last doxy on turn five (for two VP) by one wound and lost 9-7. Rough, but lack of masks on the other side made it far less of a meatgrinder than last doxy spam fight (in which my armor 2 stompybots got mauled).

10 hours ago, Gnomezilla said:

I just do not click with Misleading Headlines. Ok, it was useful to have something to do with all those aces in hand turn one, but I failed incite every time. Even when trying to waste activation by inciting a mindless zombie!

Nellie with Misleading Headlines, Embedded (for other qualities than mercs), Alternate Facts

Phiona, Transparency, Debt to the Guild

Master Queeg, Promises, Lead Lined Coat

Hunter

Investigator

two Field Reporters

the Printing Press

into Seamus with doxy spam. Corner deployment let Queeg and the investigator do their thing, Nellie flicked Phiona upfield, and she put Debt hurt on some doxies. But then Bete Noire got paralyze on Phiona. From there it was a close match—Nellie was all but soloing Dig Their Graves plus Punish the Weak, reporters did nothing as usual, the investigator and hunter had to run after the far-away symbols to have a chance at collecting enough in time. I missed killing the last doxy on turn five (for two VP) by one wound and lost 9-7. Rough, but lack of masks on the other side made it far less of a meatgrinder than last doxy spam fight (in which my armor 2 stompybots got mauled).

How did the Doxies deal with your stompybots so well?  I would have thought they would have been ground to mush, but I haven't faced them all that much.   

In that list I feel like Delegation or Guild funds would have gotten you a lot farther than embedded.  Did you bring embedded for the triggers on hot off the presses?

6 minutes ago, 4thstringer said:

How did the Doxies deal with your stompybots so well?  I would have thought they would have been ground to mush, but I haven't faced them all that much.   

In that list I feel like Delegation or Guild funds would have gotten you a lot farther than embedded.  Did you bring embedded for the triggers on hot off the presses?

Doxies have a mask trigger to put the opponent on negative flips to everything. Once that lands, anything which gets pushed even once near the pounce nest is lost, dragged down by weight of min2 attacks which all too often land.

It was the triggers, yes. I knew I’d have scheme markers to spare and an 8” place is as good as fast. I did forget to take the ‘Nellie claims conditions’ upgrade to capitalize on it, although the reporters never landed a darn thing, never mind adding additional damaging conditions.

1 minute ago, Gnomezilla said:

Doxies have a mask trigger to put the opponent on negative flips to everything. Once that lands, anything which gets pushed even once near the pounce nest is lost, dragged down by weight of min2 attacks which all too often land.

It was the triggers, yes. I knew I’d have scheme markers to spare and an 8” place is as good as fast. I did forget to take the ‘Nellie claims conditionsupgrade to capitalize on it, although the reporters never landed a darn thing, never mind adding additional damaging conditions.

I don't think I have ever killed anything with the Reporters.  I much more often use them to push models out of zones, out of engagement, or something like that, and to steal their scheme markers.

The doxy thing sounds nasty.  - to everything is a master level ability.  I might have to try a doxy in guild.

Just now, 4thstringer said:

I don't think I have ever killed anything with the Reporters.  I much more often use them to push models out of zones, out of engagement, or something like that, and to steal their scheme markers.

The doxy thing sounds nasty.  - to everything is a master level ability.  I might have to try a doxy in guild.

Jury can guarantee that mask, if she happens to be in the list anyway. If not, you have a source of friendly pushes.

The debuff is a condition so Numb to the World would have helped protect against it...but the last doxy spam list, I didn’t face as Guild. Wasn’t fun sitting back there and watching my peacekeeper get bopped to and fro.

Just now, Gnomezilla said:

Jury can guarantee that mask, if she happens to be in the list anyway. If not, you have a source of friendly pushes.

The debuff is a condition so Numb to the World would have helped protect against it...but the last doxy spam list, I didn’t face as Guild. Wasn’t fun sitting back there and watching my peacekeeper get bopped to and fro.

Another reason to have condition removal in the crew it sounds like to me.  Or at least LLC+stones to avoid after damaging triggers

Another reason to have condition removal in the crew it sounds like to me.  Or at least LLC+stones to avoid after damaging triggers.

You can’t spam condition removal though. It’s one-and-done, versus a list which can spam until it lands again (this ties into why I like to hire multiple nurses). Unless you’re thematic Perdita, I suppose.

• Like 1

Just now, Gnomezilla said:

You can’t spam condition removal though. It’s one-and-done, versus a list which can spam until it lands again (this ties into why I like to hire multiple nurses). Unless you’re thematic Perdita, I suppose.

Even Thematic Sonnia with a bunch of stalkers is going to have trouble having enough tomes to get it done I suspect.  With Peacekeeper, its not like it is hard to hit anyways, if they have pounce going on it is going to have a bad time.

56 minutes ago, Gnomezilla said:

I've mentally decided the answer to Doxy spam.  GG spam.  If that person is still playing that list, please give it a try and let me know how it goes.

I've mentally decided the answer to Doxy spam.  GG spam.  If that person is still playing that list, please give it a try and let me know how it goes.

...y’know, I wondered why I had a guild guard & emissary turret spam list saved under ‘Guild’. (It’s been a few weeks with erratic gameplay and sometimes none at all.) Maybe that was its purpose?

• Like 1

My last list was a Lucius thematic crew, which I'm quite fond of.  I was running up against Collodi (in Headhunter IIRC) and it was a pretty casual game.

• LUCIUS
    • Deep Pockets
    • Legalese
    • Watch My Back
  • CAPTAIN DASHEL
    • Arrest Him
    • A Debt to the Guild
  • MASTER QUEEG
  • GUARD SERGEANT
    • A Debt to the Guild
  • GUILD AUSTRINGER
  • GUILD RIFLEMAN
  • GUILD RIFLEMAN
  • GUILD GUARD
  • GUILD GUARD

3 minutes ago, TwoDee said:

My last list was a Lucius thematic crew, which I'm quite fond of.  I was running up against Collodi (in Headhunter IIRC) and it was a pretty casual game.

• LUCIUS
    • Deep Pockets
    • Legalese
    • Watch My Back
  • CAPTAIN DASHEL
    • Arrest Him
    • A Debt to the Guild
  • MASTER QUEEG
  • GUARD SERGEANT
    • A Debt to the Guild
  • GUILD AUSTRINGER
  • GUILD RIFLEMAN
  • GUILD RIFLEMAN
  • GUILD GUARD
  • GUILD GUARD

How did it do? I'd be afraid of all that ranged stuff in headhunter.