THE tank

Fictor

Hey guys.

Yesterday I was thinking on the most tanky combo...

I'm thinking on Snow Storm, in base that he have bullet proof 3, can spend SS, have :melee 3" to be a pain if the enemy ignore him, dmg 3/4/6, Frozen Heart hability and :+fate:+fate or heal trigger.

Ok if we add Imbued Protection up him to Df6 and can discard to prevent 2dmg.

Add too Warding Runes and a correct Oxfordian for CS, inmunity to :pulse and conditions.

And for the last, add new Steamfitter to remove RJ or severe dmg and add +1 armor.

Its a miniature with 14ss cost, and two more for 12ss, but i think you can be sure to take this guy in the middle and never die, in the other hand with :melee 3" and big base can be very irritating.

Opinions?

• Like 1

Imbued would up him to Df7 I believe.

Edit: you could add killswitch for an extra 2 damage :pulse on death, although that would probably never happen.
Edit 2: Okay, this probably won't be very effective, but you could hire a malifaux Raptor to make SnowStorm a beast and then put Myranda next to him to give :+fate to Df, and give Myranda Imbued Protection for Df8 as well.

Seems like a rather futile exercise. Maximizing the durability of a single model rarely helps you win the game, especially if it comes at a cost that high.

However, if you really feel like you want to do that, you should start with the most durable henchman available, and that definitely isn't Snow Storm. Realistic contenders for that title might include Joss and Carlos Vasquez.

Another potentially tanky strategy:

Get scrap markers with either Joss, Steamfitters, Arachnids or The Beast Within and use them to give multiple Slate Ridge Maulers Armor +1 and Reinforced Sheet Armor.

You now have Armored, Impossible to Wound, 10Wd, H2K, immune to damage from :pulse and :blast effects models that can heal themselves and block severes/RJ that come their way. Add in a Medical Automaton that can heal them up, especially from H2K, while also moving them away from damaging charges/flurries with Bedside Manner and you've got some fun times.

These strategies may not win you the game, but you get to have frustratingly unkillable models so who's the real winner? Also, it seems like the above snow storm strategy works in Henchman Hardcore, where having your leader survive is very useful. Especially when you prevent 4 damage from Sh attacks and explode for a bunch of damage if killed in melee, good luck getting assassinate unless you brought some relatively specific models (Ana Lovelace would do pretty well against it for example).

But Levi, Viks and Reva ignore all your reductions and don't use Sh to attack you. A McCabe crew can easily have models dishing out three or four minimum damage attacks that ignore armour and hard to kill using Ml. Levi and Reva also ignore ss prevention.

I don't think you can prepare for all eventualities and even if you do the question is really how many VP that is getting you. Looks like a lot of setup for a model I might be able to ignore and still score so I think the opponent may likely be the winner.

Snowstorm is not my first choice for tanking. 

If you want to build the tankiest Henchman you can, then I think you're looking at on fire Carlos with imbued protection and Warding runes turned into a beast standing next to Myranda near enough to Kaeris with purifying Flame and a Condition ignoring Mage. 

But nothing is unkillable. Somethings aren't worth the effort, but they can be killed. 

I'm really surprised I only see one person talking of Carlos. Run Carlos w/ Sandeep.

Just those two models get armor 2 and incorporeal and heal 2 for 1 discarded card on Carlos. So you would have to do 12 points of damage to just have 2 point actually stay. (12 damage, cut in half cause of incorporeal so 6 minus 2 for armor so 4 damage then he heals 2 at the end of turn so he only took 2 damage).

And that is not even counting what you can add with warding runes (regen 1 and immune to conditions and pulses) a Steamfitter(reduce damage), Amina (can't be hit), Medical Automaton (avoid flurries and H2K), Imbued protection(Def 7 reduce 2 damage) Silent one (more heals) and of course SS use.

There is a small weakness to CA and blasts actions but I think you can work around that. 

@Ludvig as a good point no matter how tanky you make a model if there is a will there is a way to kill it, but its fun to theorize these weird crews and model combos :D 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Fictor said:

Uhm, how can avoid flurries?

Bedside Manner on the medical automaton allows you to discard a card when a friendly model with :aura3 suffers damage to place them in base contact with you. So as long as the medical automaton is 2" or so (for :melee3 attacks) away from the charging or flurrying model you can potentially move the target out of range after the first attack.

It isn't a guarantee but with some clever positioning you can make it work.

What @hydranixx said warding runes gives a big F you to lures from belles especially and annoys other casting actions. The first time I ran Ironsides it was vs. McMourning and my opponent did not know about the Warding runes, unsurprisingly he was pissed once he could not put poison on Ironsides then could not debuff her and could not pulse damage onto her either. He now makes it a point to kill my Oxfordian mage ASAP. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Terry Bailey Sr said:

Tank? No problem Paralyze then Devour. No more tank.

Most of the builds that are showing up here have some condition immunity.

I'm not sure how many of them are practical to use in a game since it seems like an awful lot of resources being devoted to keeping a single model alive.