Which new master to pick up?

Davos

I’ve been playing a bit of outcast Misaki lately, and I feel like her The Storm and Risk and Reward upgrades make her a major threat to your opponent.  Where the Viks want to get into the middle of a bubbler up crew and shred, Misaki can charge in on something big with low Df and chuck out blast markers to spread damage around a spread out crew.

When I build her I take Survivalist as my third upgrade.  Being Hard to Kill and healing Risk every turn can make Misaki a real pain in the neck to put down. Shang is a fine totem for his cost, and has a heal that benefits Misaki’s Survivalist.  He also has Rush of Magic, which is nice.

Misaki doesn’t do anything for her crew, so you can really experiment with that.  Hodgepodge Effigy is nice, giving you more soulstones over the course of the game.  Yamaziko is a solid model for her Cost, and if you take her you can take Smoke and Shadows and a few Last Blossom Models to teleport around the board.  

A Wokou Raider pairs nicely with her, able to let her benefit from Coordinated raid.  I find Misaki typically burns most of my hand, so the Wokou’s built in positive is handy.

If you get Misaki’s box Torakage are fast, if pricey, scheme runners.  I haven’t had great success with Ototo, but Bigger They Are boosts him to a respectable min 3 damage.  

Hope that helps!

I've had great success with the Emissary as a scheme runner with her as it gets two 4 inch moves one of which drops a marker so that 3 markers a turn, plus the trinkets so you can really combo with Raiders. Ziko is also a nice to have for her Def abilities plus card dis card.  

I've seen it once or twice and it seems very strong. Though I agree, it does create an unfun environment for your opponent, unless the accidentally countered it.  The time I played agasint it I had Levi and he murdered the entire crew.  

I currently have Levi and Von Schill, and all the usual suspects for both

I play both Misaki and Tara pretty extensively, and here is my take. I play both in a very murder heavy way, but I think Tara has more options. Misaki is a very straight forward master to play, basically sending both her and Ototo down the board and watch the other crew crumble as your torakage score schemes. I play Tara similar with a heavy emphasis on the beast bomb because I think it's really fun. In the end it really comes down to how you want to play. Misaki is a cruse missle that you send down the board and is very active, while Tara serves more as a support master, getting more out of pieces like the NB or Killjoy. Either way I do recommend picking up the convict gunslingers because the are great models that I use extensively for both masters. Both boxes also come with above average minions, the void wretches are huge ap sinks for the other team and are surprisingly fast with incorporeal, and the torakage have defenses of 6 across the board and ignore disengagement strikes. 

TL;DR Tara supports while Misaki charges, Ototo and NB are both great and hit like trucks, void wretches are cheaper and incorporeal but torakage have better defenses and are a bit faster. To play with other outcasts Tara has the edge because all of Misaki's other models are pure TT

On 09/11/2017 at 12:20 AM, Davos said:

I currently have Levi and Von Schill, and all the usual suspects for both

If you want killy, may be better off going Viks being in the one faction.  Although you'll want to buy Vanessa.  Taelor doesn't get a lot of love on here, but Ronin can be handy.  They're not 'must have' models.  Bear in mind that von Schill can be pretty killy with his new upgrades, but it's a very different method.  He's more of a beastly support master.

Tara is fun but can be a bit tricky to get the hang of, but has varied playstyles.  Void Wretches can be handy in any crew.  

21 hours ago, Zggy91 said:

I. Both boxes also come with above average minions, the void wretches are huge ap sinks for the other team

Every time I've played them they've been attacked while I've still had a big hand - still figuring out that balance and how much I want to sacrifice the capability of other models just to boost the defence of these little minions.  I've always found them to go down pretty quickly

Void Tara is all about scheming and denial (in the sense that her stuff *should* be very difficult to kill)  I've played a game or two with the void spam list, borrowed it from a friend and played against it once.  It seems cool, though it certainly is a different style of gameplay.

• Like 1