Any success with the beast bomb?

DarkBlack

I've read good things about the "beast bomb" with Tara. I've even used it myself to get a scary 4 activation attack on a master with the nothing beast. It took a lot of setting up though.

2 Ap from a death marshal (move up and bury), 3ss (2 for the upgrade and one for the suit), keeping Tara close to a fight  and making sure the nothing beast stays buried (so no glimpse for most of a turn).

I have had almost as good from just popping a nothing beast through a building (it's incorporeal) or using the innate bury mechanics of the Scion of The Void.

Have you made all the setup worth it in your games?

I've played a lot of tara and never felt like I needed to bringdeath marshals. 

Beast Bomb:

- Bury NB with Tara's fast 1dmg atk

- Activate her late in the turn, unburry him, chain activate. 

Outcast options:

- Use the scion to have another unburry pylon without chain activation.

Resser Options:

- Use a Kentauroi to transport tara between her activations.

- Use killjoy and bete for a double beast bomb

- Decaying aura is strong for the beast bomb.

- Beast bombing a hanged can be brutal vs elite crews. Sometimes its worth more then a NB.

The only issue with having Tara attempt to bury something with glimpse the void is making sure you have a low enough card to intentionally fail the TN.  You can always relent the death marshal’s pine box attack.

I had one game where I had Tara try to bury the Nothing Beast three times to avoid Set Up.  Top decked the TN all three times and because it was late in the turn I didn’t have a card left to cheat it down.

8 hours ago, I'm a Teapot! said:

Well a deathmarshal will just get killed by a smart opponent.

If you use a glimpse of the void ability then a smart opponent just needs to kill anything or let you kill something, plus glimpse is shut down while you have the something buried.

23 hours ago, DarkBlack said:

I've read good things about the "beast bomb" with Tara. I've even used it myself to get a scary 4 activation attack on a master with the nothing beast. It took a lot of setting up though.

2 Ap from a death marshal (move up and bury), 3ss (2 for the upgrade and one for the suit), keeping Tara close to a fight  and making sure the nothing beast stays buried (so no glimpse for most of a turn).

I have had almost as good from just popping a nothing beast through a building (it's incorporeal) or using the innate bury mechanics of the Scion of The Void.

Have you made all the setup worth it in your games?

If you are using Death Marshalls as your way of burying your model, you don't need to avoid using Glimpse. Just save the death marshall activation until later on, and do what you want to do with the rest of your crew. 

Personally I've had a lot of success with the NB bomb. Bury NB first thing with Tara, unbury him last in the turn. This results in either a turn 1 charge with a focused attack on the tail end or two focused attacks.  Admittedly it does take some setup and and planning to keep your other models alive, but most of the players in my local group don't use much in the way of alpha strikes, but being able to yank a key model off the field turn 1has always seemed worth a little hassle to me. My order of operation is active Tara first, eternal moment, glimpse the void on the NB, yield on the attack and cheat down on the wp save so NB gets buried with fast. Move twice with Tara. Rest of my crew goes, but I try to hold on to a 7 or greater, preferably of crows. Tara's second activation generally goes walk walk, unbury. Chain into NB who is ideally in threat range of a key model that he can turn into jelly. This works especially well for models with abilities like disguised, especially if you can unbury the NB within 3". Turnd a coraphy into scrap and buried baratone Lola in a single turn doing this.

Another minor point is that for the beast bomb to be effective you really do have to manage your activations and hand heavily, allocating cards and ap well in advance for it to work, but for me it has always been worth it. 2 of Tara's 6 ap, maybe a stone, a 7, and a throw away card to move NB 16" to 28" and get a focused attack. Also the NB buried is almost as large of a threat off the board as it is on. The implied threat that if you kill my model a fast monster of pain will eat your face indirectly makes scheme runners, especially wretches, more durable because of the effort/payoff of using a model that can kill them easily only for that model to die itself almost always will favor the Tara player