What master do you take into each faction.

WWHSD

Are there any masters that you typically take when playing into each faction? Obviously, schemes and strats will dictate some crew descisions but where do you start just based off you your opponent's declared crew?

It seems like Rasputina or Mei Feng would both be go to choices for playing into Ressers due to their  ability to minimize the impact of horror duels.

• Like 1

Personal opinions (options are Ramos, Mei, Kaeris and Ironsides based off of collection) 

Guild -> think about Mei, NO to Ironsides

Resser -> think about Mei

Nb -> think no to Mei 

Arcanists -> Maybe think Ironsides?

Outcasts -> Maybe think about Ironsides

10T -> no preference

Gremlins -> Maybe Mei or Ramos

Kaeris pre-book 5 is only picked based off of scheme pool

Ramos is mostly Strat based

(Append "for me" or "IMO" and "if strats and schemes also support" after every statement in this post) 

• Like 2

Like @7thSquirrel said it's my opinion and only this, I hope help a little if you need

Guild        ->    Sandeep, it's the most vesatil master, not bad vs any master of this faction and can summon Metal gamin thats it's an win conditions vs Hoffman.

Resser        ->    Mei, she can beat summons with his multiple atacks and has this jewel called... Kang, enought for me.

Nb            ->    Raspi, the faction abuses to horror and we have FH crew, and IMO, the hardest master is Pandora, and Raspi have a nice match vs her and no bad vs the rest.

Arcanists    ->    Kaeris, in a faction with powefull miniatures and with W5 upgrades we can have access to an hability for down his stats in all duels.

Outcasts    ->    Marcus, I think Vikis are so much powerfull and can down easy Ramos or another Arcanist for his movility and ignore armor capacity, but Marcos can down him easy and his Alpha have more range, never lost vs Vikis, all time 10-0, and vs the rest of the faction doesn't are bad, something like Raspi vs Nb.

10T         ->    Sandeep, no preferences here so I use the best tier in our faction thats it's good vs all his masters.

Gremlins     ->    Ramos or Sandeep, combat fire with fire, they have so many miniatures, so take a summoner to try win activation control.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Fictor said:

Outcasts    ->    Marcus, I think Vikis are so much powerfull and can down easy Ramos or another Arcanist for his movility and ignore armor capacity, but Marcos can down him easy and his Alpha have more range, never lost vs Vikis, all time 10-0, and vs the rest of the faction doesn't are bad, something like Raspi vs Nb.

I took Marcus into the Viks (unknowingly) a few weeks ago and it was amazing how much control I could put on them.  Granted I main Marcus but since this was only the 2nd time I'd only played against the Viks, I was still relatively new to how they played.  Marcus vs any crew can do well I think considering that you can Alpha the enemy master.  Did that to a Seamus once at a tournament and it ended in a spectacular fashion.  

I've found myself bringing Mei vs Ressers a lot lately and not really for the bonuses that Kang brings, but more for her Vent Steam action.  It counter's Lures and all of Reva's (and a lot of other masters) attacks.  Although recently, a Reva player put the summoning upgrade on her and Turn 4 summoned a Rogue Necro... which proceeded to eat Mei.  It sucked.

Other than Mei, I don't really see myself bringing certain masters vs certain factions.  It's more of how I'm feeling and what the strats and schemes are.  I also feel that with the wave 5 upgrades, I (and probably most people) are still figuring out if there are any new counters to certain factions.

3 hours ago, Flint said:

And which masters You DO NOT take into each faction?

I'd be very cautious about bringing Kaeris into Outcasts, considering her reliance on putting conditions on enemies. In a competitive setting your opponent has a pretty high chance of bringing Hamelin and A&D, who are immune to conditions.

Having your master's damage output crippled against your opponent's two most important models is difficult to get around.

58 minutes ago, Frollo the Wordbearer said:

I'd say even not to take Ramos against Arcanists.

We have lots of anti-armor but the real reason is Marcus. He's the worst match up to play against 'cause he can Alpha Ramos and make him explode (along with some other construct friend).

We've also got a fair amount of Relic Hammers running around with their nasty :+fate:+fate to damage against constructs and Kang that brings :+fate to attack and damage against them. 

• Like 1

I did throw in a NO to Ironsides into Guild. Why? Cause Sonnia hits harder and at longer ranges than the mage oriented Ironsdies crew I like to bring, and she has the ability to block LoS after she does.

I mostly don't take Mei into Neverborn because black blood and one of ther greatest strengths is shutting down Ca and Sh, and in my local Meta I don't see enough of that in Neverborn crews (though your mileage may vary)

I take Kaeris into everything but think she is very good vs NB.

ca7 means they can't guarantee you will miss them with a high card for those with df/wp7 low damage track and armour means pandora doesnt do much against her, burning is great for finishing off collodis minions and again her casting attacks really bother hungering darkness and dreamer.

2 hours ago, 7thSquirrel said:

I did throw in a NO to Ironsides into Guild. Why? Cause Sonnia hits harder and at longer ranges than the mage oriented Ironsdies crew I like to bring, and she has the ability to block LoS after she does.

I actually played Ironsides into Sonnia for Guard the Stash just the other day and won, partly due to Warding Runes and the Blood Mage to be immune to Burning, and partly because Sonnia really doesn't run much that has an alternative to Ml attacks when they get stuck in.  Ironsides walked & Rush 'Em'd to his Trapper and killed it before it got one shot off, then spent the rest of the game pulling in all of Sonnia's assorted Witchlings and beating them to death while the rest of the crew did schemes.  Sonnia didn't have much of a chance with no Burning on Ironsides and being steadily further down on Activations from pretty early on.

• Like 1

I take Raspy into Ressers a lot. They can be slow and a well placed Ice Wall can ruin their day. She also threatens from a long way, meaning she can get those nasty support models and of course Frozen Heart tosses a middle finger to all the horror duels.  I play her with the Joker fishing upgrade though so that I can really hit through those H2W models. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mrbedlam said:

I take Raspy into Ressers a lot. They can be slow and a well placed Ice Wall can ruin their day. She also threatens from a long way, meaning she can get those nasty support models and of course Frozen Heart tosses a middle finger to all the horror duels.  I play her with the Joker fishing upgrade though so that I can really hit through those H2W models. 

Speaking as a Ressur, I can confirm this 100%. Our meta has 2 or 3 Raspy players, and a well played Raspy is a nightmare to face as a Ressur on most boards. I especially agree with her being able to get at the support models from an absurd distance. Losing Carrion Emissary, a Necropunk and half my master's wounds turn 1 makes things really bleak, let alone easily blocking off sections of the board. Even if we bring Hanged to balance out Frozen Heart, Raspy can one or two shot them.

I know Raspy players are littered with good upgrades so a lot of players avoid December's Pawn, but it really is one of the single most scary upgrades in the game when most of your core crew has Hard to Wound.

When I play Arcanists, I feel very comfortable with Kaeris in most match ups. Having Flight and Ca7 Attacks vs either Df or Wp gives her enough flexibility to always be a nuisance, and her upgrade choices can drastically her role and give her some extremely unique functions.

Mei comes in when I want to hold ground and endure lots of ranged attacks. Her new upgrades should let her either go even more rambo on one key turn or to move and protect a key model of your choice but in my traditional usage she's there mainly to deny the opponent their best attacks.

I basically only take Ramos when I have to. He's just not a very appealing playstyle for me. If it's Reconnoiter/Interference he's in, if it's not he's out.

2 minutes ago, hydranixx said:

Even if we bring Hanged to balance out Frozen Heart, Raspy can one or two shot them.

Does the Hanged's ability do much against Frozen Heart? It seems like even if you strip the horror duel immunity from them, it doesn't do much against the immunity to paralyze.

Oh you're probably right. I can't remember the last time that interaction actually came into play - as I say, Hanged die like flies to Arcanists so I don't even bother summoning them.

A Carrion Effigy can strip immunity to Paralysis if I recall correctly, that might be worth gunning down in a hurry.

35 minutes ago, hydranixx said:

Speaking as a Ressur, I can confirm this 100%. Our meta has 2 or 3 Raspy players, and a well played Raspy is a nightmare to face as a Ressur on most boards. I especially agree with her being able to get at the support models from an absurd distance. Losing Carrion Emissary, a Necropunk and half my master's wounds turn 1 makes things really bleak, let alone easily blocking off sections of the board. Even if we bring Hanged to balance out Frozen Heart, Raspy can one or two shot them.

I know Raspy players are littered with good upgrades so a lot of players avoid December's Pawn, but it really is one of the single most scary upgrades in the game when most of your core crew has Hard to Wound.

I love blasting into Nico with December's Pawn and I know one of hte Jokers are lurking in the last 30% of my deck. ;) Also Raspy is a fairly good play into Gremlins. Back in teh days of Stuffed Piglets she could take Bearskin armor and shut down their blasts. And she loves catching a few bayous hanging out. Also, Hoarcat Prides are a thing. 

7 hours ago, WWHSD said:

We've also got a fair amount of Relic Hammers running around with their nasty :+fate:+fate to damage against constructs and Kang that brings :+fate to attack and damage against them. 

Plus, there's that upgrade of Mei's that allows her and fellow Foundry models to ignore armor.  Also, if I was playing in to Arcanists, I'd definitely be bringing Willie.

14 minutes ago, KingCrow said:

Plus, there's that upgrade of Mei's that allows her and fellow Foundry models to ignore armor.  Also, if I was playing in to Arcanists, I'd definitely be bringing Willie.

In my mind that is Kang's upgrade. I forget that it can be equipped to other models. 

One corner case I stumbled across recently involved Ramos vs 10T.

Specifically, Ramos with Leviathan Power Core against Misaki with Risk & Reward. Add in a fortuitous first turn hand (both jokers, a 10, pair of 8s), Brass Arachnid, Howard Langston with Imbued Energies, and the 10T player going all-in on Risk and using all his cards by the end of turn 1, and I ended the turn with Ramos on Powering Up +6, full cache, and 2 points from Eliminate the Leadership. (I missed the point from reducing Misaki to below half wounds, since the decapitate trigger went off after she took only 5 wounds.)

• Like 2

From a competitive standpoint, I take either Sandeep or Marcus into 95% of my tournament games and had some decent success. They are great all comers and very flexible.

I find I make my counter selections in crew selection instead, where there are lots of options.

I admittedly haven't played Ironsides yet in Wave 5. I love Raspy but she is way too predictable vs good opponents.  I feel that Ramos and Colette are pushed out by Sandeep since he does what they do (activation control or scheming respectively) but offers better wrinkles and flexibility.  Have never played Kaeris or Mei, but have never lost a game to either and haven't been impressed whenever I've played against them.

• Like 1

I feel the same about Raspy, Colette and Mei (well.. Mei was my first Arcanist Master, so I play her time to time); not about Ramos. I value hight what he does (activation control and Reactivate a beater) and I think he received quite a good new upgrade. I'm still struggling to find the perfect fit for him now, but between Powered by flame and arcane effigy, i rate him one of our best master to counter FFM.

7 hours ago, Frollo the Wordbearer said:

I feel the same about Raspy, Colette and Mei (well.. Mei was my first Arcanist Master, so I play her time to time); not about Ramos. I value hight what he does (activation control and Reactivate a beater) and I think he received quite a good new upgrade. I'm still struggling to find the perfect fit for him now, but between Powered by flame and arcane effigy, i rate him one of our best master to counter FFM.

As its new version will show up a lot less now, I think being good for FFM is probably less important than it has been. Ramos still good, but he's just so....boring. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Mrbedlam said:

As its new version will show up a lot less now, I think being good for FFM is probably less important than it has been. Ramos still good, but he's just so....boring. 

Well.. i still play in gg17 and never read the beta version. I'll see next year what to do and who to use :D

Anyway with Wave5 I found a new interest (and fun) in ramos (see the Burning Ramos topic) using him as a highly mobile burning beater (well.. shooter, really).