My bandit adventures with Parker

MudgeBlack

I am still in the process of getting Parker's crew painted up (Parker, Mad Dog, & Doc complete) and have begun the road to becoming a Parker player.  My first game (last Thurs) was vs Kaeris.

Parker (Black market, stick up, hail of bullets), Doc, Mad Dog (lucky poncho, oath keeper), Hodgepodge Emissary (stolen goods), Sue (return fire), dead outlaw x2.

IIRC

Kaeris (seize the day, heat wave, set everyone on fire from above?), Fire starter, Emissary, fire gamin, wind gamin, Johanna, plus one or two more.

Strat was extraction

I took show of force and FfM (Sue).  Nick took claim jump and dig their graves.

The board has heavy terrain and cover which caused some difficulty for me.

Nick ended up winning 5 to 9.

Turns out Parker really helps an opponent with dig their graves.

I managed 3 points for extract, 2 with show of force (I forgot 0 cost upgrades don't count), and nothing with FfM (Sue burned to death right after I killed Firestarter).

Parker is a handful first game with all the upgrade juggling and SS generation.  It's going to take a few game to get that down and learn when to use each upgrade.  Many of my choices were less tactical and more "let's see what this will do".  Parker was great fun though.  The number of SS his crew can go through is crazy.  I wish I had kept track but I think I went through 12-15 Stones (most of the trying to keep Mad Dog alive.

Doc got in some heals but wasn't really pivotal.

Mad Dog didn't do huge amounts of damage.  Between lots of cover, opponent flips, & not getting Blow it to Hell off once he didn't do a lot offensively but he was a huge AP sink for my opponent (at one point tanking 7 attacks (3 from Johanna) while on one wound.  Lucky Poncho was a life saver (literally).

Emissary was interesting.  Good card engine with handing trinkets then taking one back.  Somet trinkets were handy (Regen & Companion) the others mainly just for take backs.  Good scheme runner if I had taken claim jump.  Got in a couple decent attacks.

Sue did Sue things.  Bad flips on my part and suspicion of FfM kept him out of much of the action.

Dead Outlaws were great.  Very durable with their heals (kept them close together to maximize) and their curse was great for keeping the Arcane Emissary in check.

Thinking of swapping Sue for Johan and a Bandito for tonight's game to test Bandito and some Johan condition clearing.

• Like 2

I actually played my Parker vs a Kaeris today! It was the first time the Kaeris player faced off against Parker, so I had that going for me.

My list was:
Parker: Cache 4
-Stick Up
-Hail of Bullets
-Black Market
Doc Mitchell
Mad Dog Brackett
-Lucky Poncho
-Oath Keeper
Freikorps Librarian
-Oath Keeper
5x Bandido

Wasn't really sure on the Kareis player's list other than he was trying Kaeris with Grab and Drop, her new upgrade (not heat wave), and I can't remember the other one, he had a few fire gamin, Kaeris' totem, Firestarter, and Envy. I remember he had 10 models at the start with a cache of 5.

The pool was Headhunter with Claim Jump, Frame for Murder, Dig their Graves, Covert Breakthrough, and Set Up.
I picked Frame for Murder on Doc Mitchell and Set up on Firestarter and my opponent picked Dig their Graves and Covert Breakthrough.

I scored three headhunter points, Set Up two points on the Firestarter on turn 2, and got Frame for Muder off of the Firestarter's ability which counts as him killing through burning on turn 3.
The score ended up 8-2 in my favor at the end of turn three before my opponent conceded. 

Welcome to the club! I'm looking forward to seeing how you did against Kaeris.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Diceman87 said:

@VirtusOut of curiosity, what has been your experience bringing that many Bandidos?  What do you find they bring to the crew that another beater/ other bandits don't?

I think the Bandidos are really great for their cost for all the stuff they have going for them. I like playing Parker with 9 models, but that may be in part due to me playing against Gremlins a lot. What I've noticed is that Parker likes to go relatively early to Hands in the Air one or two things in the beginning of the turn, so having activations between someone like Parker and Mad Dog can be good. Bandidos are also good if you're going for or baiting Claim Jump. I do so by replacing Hail of Bullets at the start with Coordinated Heist (removing Oath Keeper from Librarian to free up that extra required stone), which with the help of the Black Market interact can drop a scheme marker for Claim Jump turn one in Standard Deployment. Having multiple vectors for your Bandidos helps if you have to deploy first.

I personally don't like the idea of another beater with Parker apart from Mad Dog. The other master I like using is Hamelin, so if I think killing one specific model is priority number one, then I'll look into Killjoy bomb and not even pick Parker for the Encounter.

I like picking Librarian over Sue for three reasons: 1) Turn one her Ca attacks get around Mad Dog's Bulletproof, which means a hard-hitting Mad Dog sooner. 2) Furious Casting. 3) One healer can be for Parker, and another healer can be for Mad Dog.

I still think Dead Outlaws are good models, and wouldn't dissuade people from using them. 

Thoughts?

• Like 1

All valid points.  I agree that Bandidos have a lot going for them for their cost.  I like the fact that they have a great defensive trigger and can push out of engagements if they want, and Life of Crime is just gravy if you have Search the Ruins or Covert Breakthrough in the pool as a denial tool. I find the idea of bandit-spam intriguing.  I see your point about not taking a second beater with Parker - my go to master for killing heavy pools is Misaki.

A quick aside - I think it's really neat how different metas can influence lists and master picks.  

Thanks for sharing!  

Sounds like a tough game!  Frame is always tricky against Kaeris, because burning can shut it down hard.  Sue's a great target for Frame, though.

I've noticed Parker's helping with Dig Their Graves too.  Don't forget you can stockpile low cards and ditch them for Fistful of Scrip if you're worried about it, converting those markers to yours.  

Can't wait to hear how your second game went!

3 hours ago, Diceman87 said:

Sounds like a tough game!  Frame is always tricky against Kaeris, because burning can shut it down hard.  Sue's a great target for Frame, though.

Yes and no. I've been on both sides of the table when people have been bit by their FFM guy having hard to kill. It's so easy to punch them with one big hit getting them down to HtK, with poison/burn trigger doing that final point of damage to avoid giving any VP for it.

Of course if opponent's crew doesn't have that capability then yeah, Sue's not too far from the frontline and tends to get a lot of work done if not removed.

1 hour ago, Virtus said:

I've learned that if FFM is in the pool and your opponent is fielding Firestarter, then you pick FFM and keep Firestarter alive because he's a Henchman that gives up FFM through burning.

That's exactly what I should have done but I had my head jammed up my butt...AGAIN!:lol:

Had another go around with Parker.

Parker (Black market, stick up, hail of bullets), Doc, Mad Dog (lucky poncho), Hodgepodge Emissary (stolen goods), Johan (oath keeper), Bandito, dead outlaw x2.

Vs

Ironsides(Seize the day +2), Rail Golem, Johanna (Imbued Energies), Miss Fire, Arcane Effigy, Wind Gamin, Gunsmith, +1

Guard the Stash

I took Claim Jump and FfM (Mad Dog)

Nick took the same with Rail Golem for FfM

I got simply destroyed.  We called the game at the top of 4 because I only had one Dead Outlaw left, everyone else was dead.

Final was 2(FfM) to 7 (4 GtS, 3 CJ)

Top of second turn Ironsides pulled Mad Dog out of cover, through my Hail of Bullets markers then punched him up for about 5 damage.  Parker pulled MD back out of melee so he could lay into Ironsides but before MD could go, Johanna charged in (burning Imbued Energies) and tried to put Mad Dog down.  He weathered the storm with one wound remaining.  Johan burned Oath Keeper and  charged Johanna (IMPOSTURE!) and put her in the ground to free up Mad Dog (again!) but before he could activate the Gunsmith activated and put down the Mad Dog.From there out things just went downhill. 

I started with 4 SS, by the end of the game I had burnt through 8 and still had 2 on hand.  So he knows how to make stones.

I am really struggling with Parker, I either need to play a LOT more games with him or shelf him.  Don't get me wrong, he is great fun.  I am just having a rough time with juggling upgrades.  Knowing which to ditch, which to pick up and which are the most effective at the right time.  One thing I noticed was that I was card starved most of the time, maybe going with his other limited would help (more cards vs less SS generation).

Any help or comments appreciated.  Also links to good battle reports that I can learn from.

I never played against Ironsides, but sounds rough, since it was Guard the Stash.

I feel your pain on Mad Dog dying. I also feel like I go on my back foot if he dies without getting his value in.

Putting FFM on Mad Dog is ok because he is a threat. It's even better on Mad Dog if you trigger Foaming at the Mouth before you send him in because then he is halfway dead and gets scary with Blow it to Hell coupled with plus to attack and damage. Reading your notes it sounds like had you done that, you would have scored a full three points. Remember when I talked about the Librarian helping out with Foaming at the Mouth? You can also cycle low tomes for the Surge trigger. 

I already talked about liking Bandidos for Claim Jump, so I won't do that again :). But I will also mention how they also have Finish the Job with Quick Getaway!

Keep grinding! Winning with Parker is super satisfying :).

• Like 1

Two more things:

1) How were you generating Soulstones? Was it just through you Limited and ditching upgrades, or did you also steal some through Stick Up's attack?

2) If you see a big beater like the Rail Golem coming towards you, use Dead Man Walking and it's slow trigger. It's pure gold. Even better when FFM is in the pool because you can use a minion or enforcer to kill it off.

Edit: Oh, and it also seems like your opponent took Seize the Day just so Parker can't activate first and do Hands in the Air or other Parker shenanigans. Did your friend know you would be playing Parker? What was his reasoning for picking Seize the Day over the upgrade that gives them an extra card every turn?

3 hours ago, Virtus said:

Edit: Oh, and it also seems like your opponent took Seize the Day just so Parker can't activate first and do Hands in the Air or other Parker shenanigans. Did your friend know you would be playing Parker? What was his reasoning for picking Seize the Day over the upgrade that gives them an extra card every turn?

Ironsides really likes to go first, at least if she took her new upgrade that gives her challenge aura. Then there's those players that just like to win initiative and that upgrade is how you do it in Arcanists. Both are valid non-Parker reasons to go with Seize the Day.

• Thanks 1

Got in another game with Parkie, same crew as last time vs Lynch (TT)

Lynch, Huggy, Illuminated x2, Thunder Bro x2, Sticthed, Depleted, & Thunder Archer.

Guard the Stash

I took FfM(Mad Dog) and hunting party (mistake on my part as I only had Johan & Mad Dog while he had a lot of very durable models).

Josh went with Claim jump and Eliminate the leadership.

We ended up calling it at the end of turn the due to time constraints.  Final score was 2(GtS) to 4(2 GtS & 2 CJ).

He threw Huggy in early and tied up both of my beaters which kept me from scoring hunting party and Mad Dog survived for a change to deny me FfM.  Josh out activated me and consistently won initiative so I got hurt on activations.  For being Rusty at the game, Josh played well.  The good for me was I think I'm finally starting to get his juggling down and I did much better with it and picked up my pace a little.  Had a good time putting back some cider and losing to a friend.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Got in another game with the Bandit King.

Parker (Black market, stick up, hail of bullets), Doc, Mad Dog (lucky poncho, Oathkeeper), Hodgepodge Emissary (stolen goods), Midnight Stalker (oath keeper), Bandito, dead outlaw.

vs

Kaeris, Firestarter, Eternal Flame, Carlos V, Flame Gamin, Wind Gamin, Arcane Effigy, Steamfitter, Miss Fire

Guard the Stache

I took Claim Jump and FfM(Mad Dog)

Nick took Claim Jump and Accusation.

Final score 5(3 CJ, 2 GtS) vs 6(3CJ, 3GtS) to Nick

First thing, I had my head up my butt putting Oathkeeper on Midnight Stalker, he spent most of the game on my opponents half of the board so was already fast.  Could have given him a better upgrade.  Mad Dog finally came through for me, Turn one he had Carlos down to 3 wounds and killed the Eternal Flame with blast markers off of Carlos.  He finally died to burning at the end of turn three which would have netted me 2 points and the game had the Firestarter not burned to death at the same time.  Midnight locked down one side of the board and scheme running.  He wasn't as killy as I expected but did get in one kill and hold that side of the board.  He wasn't the best fit in a Parker crew but I wanted to give him a spin to see what he could do.  Between starting Cache (5) and stones generated, Parker tore through 13 stones in the course of the game.  I need to try out his other limited for the cards and attack obey as I was often 'card starved'.  I continue to like the Emissary with Parker, I really can't see not taking it (plus I'm using the old Viks Avatar for the Emissary).  The Bandito did a good job before she was killed, I will continue to use at least one.  Nick has gained an appreciation for Dead Outlaws and kills them ASAP but they do well for me.  All in all I had a great game and feel that I am finally STARTING to get a handle on Parker.  He continues to be great fun.

Added note, the Steamfitter continues to be a thorn in my side, between her Reinforced Plating saving models from Severe Damage (including a couple Red Jokers) and her picking up good cards from the discard.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1