Guild or Ressers?

MrBabash

Hello guys! 
Yeah, it's one of those "I can't choose between .." , I'm sorry for that!
By the way, let's go to the point.

Guild : I already got Perdita, and I like her shooting power a lot, plus I really like the Western theme.
I love Lady Justice and the fact she is a train in melee. I also really enjoy the Death Marshals concept.
Sonnia seems attractive, I could like her fire and explosion spam.
McMourning seems good as well. McCabe could be fun to play for a good player.
Collie and Hoffman are a NO. Expecially Hoffman, I really dislike his constructs esthetically.

I like the fact that the Guild is an aggro faction, and it plays few but strong models. BUT I don't find many models I like except for the Crew Box I already said plus few others.

Resurrectionists : I simply love how Reva looks, and don't ask me why. I know she hits so damn strong from the distance and got some nasty tricks.
Seamus is a mad criminal, he pops out from nowhere and just explode your face with his .50, approved.
Nicodem is the classic necromancer, summoning zombies and invading the table. I could like him.
McMourning as for the Guild.
I like, in this order, Molly, Kirai, Tara  and Yan Lo. I'm a beginner and I guess they are not that easy to play, so it scares me a bit.

I DO love the Ressers aesthetics. But what slows me down is the fact they seem tricky to play and being a beginner doesn't help, plus I don't like the fact I need to buy a lot of models for the summonings. 

I usually am an aggro player in the others game, but in Malifaux I could like slowing down and working with my mind controlling the table to see what is the best to do, so Ressers could be a nice compromise. But I don't know. It's time for you to write!

Whatever you start with in Malifaux is going to be tricky at first. Each model has a bunch of rules on its card, and they'll take time to learn when to use them.

Don't worry about how tricky a faction is to play. Play the one that you feel like playing.

• Like 2

Seamus can be really relaxingly simple to start with. I'd stay away from tara and kirai in the beginning. Molly is medium hard to learn but super flexible. And her playstyle is rather agressive for a summoner.

Also from a budget perspective, there is a resser buying guide somewhere in the resser forum, its really good. The Seamus and Mcmourning boxes are really good starting boxes cause they both provide essential minions to Ressers (Rotten Belles and Nurses). And Mcmourning isnt the hardest master aswell. 

• Like 1

Starting a new faction you should probably concentrate on a mixmum of two masters in the beginning. Even if you get other master boxes for specific henchmen or to not end up with multiple's of the minions in their box I would advice sticking to playing one or two masters for a while. The biggest hurdle is learning to score points and figuring out what your own models actually do so you don't forget half their abilities and can develop tactics for them. You will probably do better with a slightly suboptiomal model that you know well than with the perfect netlist that you haven't played a lot.

While certain masters are tricky I wouldn't say the ressers are trickier than guild in a general capacity. You can get lots of work done with a limited summoning pool even for Nikodem. Ressers have models with very well defined roles that will work the same way in each crew so if you follow the advice of the budget articles you will probably get a very good core. Just having a couple of necropunks in every list will teach you how those work and they are always capable scheme runners even if some other model may have a tiny amount of extra synergy for other masters. Nico can get by well mostly summoning punk zombies for beaters even if there are technically better summons for that job. The belle subcategory (Sybelle, belles and doxies) will work well for probably any master. I think Niko and Mollie share a lot of models they both like since horrors are often undead. McMourning doesn't need his entire list to be about poison either, him and a couple of nurses will dish out plenty of poison to learn his basics.

For guild, Perdita has a few very solid models in her box so you could go either Sonnia or Justice from there and hold off on most other stuff. You will want the brutal effigy for all the killy masters and probably some cheap activations like guild hounds or reporters to run schemes. Guild McMourning is a bit trickier to start with since his models aren't available to anyone else so you are spending a lot of brainpower learning models no other guild list will include which slows down learning how to use faction staples. I would also say he is somewhat tricky to get working compared especially to his resser persona which is just so much smoother to learn. I started the game with McCabe myself and I found him very straightforward, I'm not sure why he has gotten such a reputation for being difficult to learn. He can use practically any model since he has a fix for every weakness you can imagine. His crew box doesn't offer that much for other masters unfortunately but he and Perdita could probably work with each others models, the brutal effigy and a few guild hounds. In general I find that guild don't have no-brainer scheme runners like ressers and the masters need to work very differently to do the same schemes. They also lack control models to rival nurses and belles in effectiveness. 

I think concentrating on a couple of masters and some support will leave you content for a long time while learning. If you resist the urge to get every last model in a faction the hurdle is smaller to swap factions and try something new after you've learned a bit more about your preferred style. I came into this game thinking I wanted a guild gunline and big killers but I later realised that the control elements where what made the game fun for me and that guild may not have been the best fit for me.

• Like 2

First of all, thank you so much for your answers guys!
Then, you kinda encouraged me to do the step and try something that seems harder to learn to me, so I'll probably go with the Ressers.
I think I won't sell Perdita, and maybe in the future I'll buy for her some hounds and stuff to get her to the 50SS.
Even because we are a small group of friends, so we will try every crew/faction we got. 
Now, I'm going to search the Resser Buying Guide and look for the two masters I'll stick with. Probably Reva and Seamus, or Reva and McMourning, or even Reva and Reva! LOL

2 hours ago, Drunken Kung Fu Kid said:

=)

Yup, I am "studyin" this! The best choice would be Seamus + McMourning because of Belles + Nurses (as you said as well), but I prefer Reva to McMourning so I'll probably go first with Seamus and then Reva! And maybe proxing Shield bearers as Nurses for now