Jump to content
Kaos

Competitive Leveticus lists

Recommended Posts

Just to avoid derailing the errata thread further, let's talk a bit of playing Levi competitively. Looks like players have different opinions and some of them looks quite strange since I don't understand the philosophy behind the list. So let's see what you think is a competitive list and why. I'll start to describe what works for me. I'm not a strong scheme player so it means I lose or Draw because I'm ignoring my objectives or picked wrong schemes.

But with this list I usually almost table my opponent on the third turn. Then I got more or less 2 turns to try out take as much points I can.

Leveticus

-untimely demise

-aether shackles or desolate soul

Rusty Alice

-from Aether

Ashes and dust

Lazarus

Abomination

Abomination

This crew is around 45 ss so it leaves you 5 ss in cache. If you don't pick desolate soul you don't need many of them.

The two abominations are your card drawing engine. Basically you hit Lazarus for 1 point of damage due to armor to draw a card. Then you heal him on his activation with self repair. Aboms since are such annoying are also wonderful sucker models. In case you need to go all out, you can kill the abomination for 2 cards or use it to reposition leveticus for a channel shoot focus shoot action. When the abomination dies, it can be resummoned with Alyce, who just need a suitable high card. But since this crew can draw, shouldn't be a big problem.

Leveticus with 8 cards in hand can do stuff and if you use the abomination to set a charge, he can hit super hard with a channel-focus-charge activation. Cheat a 11+ on damage and you're looking at putting 8 or more damage in a single activation. Untimely demise can provide a 2 more damage if he's killed and if you were able to pull out a charge by resurrecting on a waif near an enemy, you will be able to use it in the same turn, probably one shooting big pieces and even making other abominations out of them. Unfortunately Alyce doesn't have big reactivate targets, like a desolation engine. But since she can summon and put down decent damage, she is quite functional. No abomination on table meaning no draws and few cards in hand makes Leveticus a sad panda.

The crew doesn't fare so well in scheme running, but it's possible to swap Lazarus for some other construct and place the pain of abomination abuse on ashes and dust instead. He usually don't care much about dying and reforming and you can take a 6ss anchor and a scheme runner like a necropunk. Or a 6ss anchor and a hodgepodge effigy.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Desolation-bomb

Leveticus

- Iron Pariah

- Untimely Demise

Rusty

Desolation Engine

- Oathkeeper

Ashes & Dust

2x Hollow Waif

Abomination

Mobile toolkit

 

Key: You need 10+ in hand

 

Activation flow on first turn:

Waifs do his stuff

Abom ping A&D for card

Toolkit buff Desolation for :+fate to Ml or DMG

A&D move forward, but need to be in 10" from Leveticus

Leveticus (if 10+ in hand) use Channel, jump to A&D, and try to do killy stuff OR (if you have not 10+ in hand) sac A&D for 2 cards and walk forward, summon wife

Storm move to Core and make (0)

Core give Fast to Deso

Alyce reactivate Deso and move forward

In that moment your opponent must be outactivated AND FUN BEGIN:

Deso activates 1 time with fast, move 1 time, if able charge someone, healing, make (0) for :pulseDF duels, drain opponent cards, use Melee expert, if lucky - summon abomination or more healing and one more pulse at the and of activation. If you not lucky, 1 activation just move forward. 2 activation, drop Oathkeeper, and guarantee to charge some important target in enemy deployment. After charge (and healing or maybe summon aboms), make (0) for Df duels, drain opponent cards (if he still have it =) ), make 2 more attacks, healing/summon, another pulse in the end. Shocked opponent guaranteed) If you lucky and win initiative on 2 turn, you have almost full or full Deso in opponent deployment) This combo work not in all cases, but in many. After successfully Desolation-bomb opponent can't do a lot of stuff, and you easily earn your VP.

You can take another abomination for one more card instead of toolkit, but toolkit give insane buff to Desolation.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Nikodemus said:

When Ashes & Dust dies you summon an Ashen Core in base to base and Dust Storm at a table edge.

ah ok "sac A&D", I lost that and now I understand, thx a lot :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only issue in the write up is leveticus can't both sacrifice a&d and summon waif, since they're both (0) actions.

Eventually the list net 10 activations, enough to out activate most crews.

I wonder if there is a way to kill the desolation engine after reactivating it and then reform for another round of combat.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I played last week with: 

Levi (Iron, Desolate, Scout)

2 Waifs

Ashes And Dust

Miss Step

2 aboms

2 wretches.

 

This is pretty close to my normal core with Miss Step swapping out with Mech Rider, or Trapper and Terra Cotta Warrior. Wretches go around scheming and slowing scheme runners. Ashes disrupts and kills. Levi takes out weaker models to make more aboms and hopefully summon a deso, but I've found that aboms do a lot of incidental damage to make things easier to Levi to kill. 

If I do bring in the TC warrior I will switch out  path of Iron or Scout for his new upgrades as needed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have not tried the killy list above, but I did take Levi in all three rounds of a tournament and won, so here are my thoughts...

I use his strength of taking models from other factions...usually a necropunk or 2, flesh construct, and then either bete/bells or TC warrior.  The necropunk was very strong in GG2017 as he could do the always by himself.  Not sure that will be case in 2018.  I will include a list below, and then comments on how I changed it each round.  First one was just a general crew...got 3 oathkeepers onto Levi, and TC kept gunslinger alive.

50 SS Outcasts Crew
Leveticus + 5 Pool
 - Pariah of Iron (1)
 - Desolate Soul (2)
 - Oath Keeper (1)
Hollow Waif (0)
Hollow Waif (0)
Ashes and Dust (13)
Convict Gunslinger (7)
 - Return Fire (1)
Flesh Construct (6)
Terracotta Warrior (5)
Necropunk (5)
Necropunk (5)

 For second round that was headhunter in flank, also I knew it would be neverborn, so most masters are living (and the ones that are not I did not think would be good choices in the pool).   I also don't like A&D in flank, I find it can be hard to reform him, or he stays on edge out of fight.  I was right, Lilith came out and I went with...

50 SS Outcasts Crew
Leveticus + 4 Pool
 - Pariah of Bone (1)
 - Desolate Soul (2)
 - Oath Keeper (1)
Hollow Waif (0)
Hollow Waif (0)
Sue (8)
Bete Noire (8)
Johan (6)
Flesh Construct (6)
Rotten Belle (5)
Necropunk (5)
Necropunk (5)

Finial game, much like first, but I tried midnight stalker instead of convict gunslinger.

My 2¢.  It's worth what you paid for it.

Thanks

Steven

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kaos said:

The only issue in the write up is leveticus can't both sacrifice a&d and summon waif, since they're both (0) actions.

1

Yes, my bad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, keget said:

 

Finial game, much like first, but I tried midnight stalker instead of convict gunslinger.

My 2¢.  It's worth what you paid for it.

Thanks

Steven

 

Forgot to mention MIdnight Stalker. He's straight up amazing. Also Obsidian Statue is worth mentioning. I haven't played him yet but his ability to help Ca actions could really be fun for Levi. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Keget how do you use leveticus in your lists especially without a card drawing engine? Does he pull weight or you just use him to bring in strong pieces together?

And above all, your last list is really resser piece heavy. What makes you play it with Leveticus instead of a resser master?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Because, with a few exceptions, when someone declares that they are Outcasts in a tournament, their opponent will expect lots of big hitty things, underwhelming scheme runners and relatively few control or movement options. They're thinking about Vikkies, they're worried about Hamelin, they're trying to not be nervous about the new Von Schill or a 'generic' Levi list. They prepare their list appropriately for these things.

Only after crews are declared will they find out they're essentially against a blend of Outcast and Ressurectionist good-stuff, bringing in the best of both worlds to suit the scheme pool and counter the opponent, and having generally good Outcast upgrades to work with.

I think Leveticus can often be stronger with Undead than many Resser masters simply because your opponent won't expect you to bring those kinds of things. They won't bring all the anti-Undead or anti-Hard to Wound hate for example.

Also, Necropunks are better scheme runners than anything that Outcasts have access to and Levi can take them with either Pariah option so they're always a solid option for him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Kaos said:

Keget how do you use leveticus in your lists especially without a card drawing engine? Does he pull weight or you just use him to bring in strong pieces together?

And above all, your last list is really resser piece heavy. What makes you play it with Leveticus instead of a resser master?

I use Levi as a murderer.  He gets 1 attack with 7 CA and positives...that hits...then 2 more attacks if they have low stat, or one more focus.  He does not need cards (I will cheat damage to get a kill, but really, what is difference between 2 and 4 most attacks), sometimes he needs stone to make abombs.  He pulls his weight, and even more with TC.  If they have one high wound model (Isamu, Howard...) then I switch in the half damge one.  He is also super mobile.  That helps so much. 

Both list use necropunk, and why was covered very well.  Flesh construct is great for Levi, does not want to be in front, but bear is fine, very hard to remove from board, he is my supper anchor.  Also they often hold a card all round so he does not get reactivate. 

As for my last list took a Belle as it was head Hunter.  She was pulling guys in so head was closer.  Bette is great at 8 pts if they have living.  She adds to the list of things that do not die when killed, just annoying.  A high crow and their master can be paralyzed a turn.  With a 6 with positive flips, she does not need many cards.  Best of all, if she is buried and they kill an abomb, she pops out and get to charge right away. 

It's not that I want to play resers, just want the best scheme runner I can get, best anchor, best lure, and yet another thing that will not die (cannot stress how much a Levi, A&D, and Bette can just tilt your opponent.)

Thanks,

Steven

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Kaos said:

The only issue in the write up is leveticus can't both sacrifice a&d and summon waif, since they're both (0) actions.

Eventually the list net 10 activations, enough to out activate most crews.

I wonder if there is a way to kill the desolation engine after reactivating it and then reform for another round of combat.

yes, that is possible but its probably not reliable, in that it needs either you to move 2 abomininations to the place where the engine is going to die (which on turn 1 should be deep into enemy lines), or you need to kill 2 enemy models to turn them into Abominations first, which is certainly very doable, but entirely dependent on what you opponent brings. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Adran said:

yes, that is possible but its probably not reliable, in that it needs either you to move 2 abomininations to the place where the engine is going to die (which on turn 1 should be deep into enemy lines), or you need to kill 2 enemy models to turn them into Abominations first, which is certainly very doable, but entirely dependent on what you opponent brings. 

Yes, but even if you can't summon another Deso, first Deso deal huge damage to enemy crew, and if you win initiative on 2 turn damage will be unacceptable

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, keget said:

I use Levi as a murderer.  He gets 1 attack with 7 CA and positives...that hits...then 2 more attacks if they have low stat, or one more focus.  He does not need cards (I will cheat damage to get a kill, but really, what is difference between 2 and 4 most attacks), sometimes he needs stone to make abombs.  He pulls his weight, and even more with TC.  If they have one high wound model (Isamu, Howard...) then I switch in the half damge one.  He is also super mobile.  That helps so much. 

Both list use necropunk, and why was covered very well.  Flesh construct is great for Levi, does not want to be in front, but bear is fine, very hard to remove from board, he is my supper anchor.  Also they often hold a card all round so he does not get reactivate. 

As for my last list took a Belle as it was head Hunter.  She was pulling guys in so head was closer.  Bette is great at 8 pts if they have living.  She adds to the list of things that do not die when killed, just annoying.  A high crow and their master can be paralyzed a turn.  With a 6 with positive flips, she does not need many cards.  Best of all, if she is buried and they kill an abomb, she pops out and get to charge right away. 

It's not that I want to play resers, just want the best scheme runner I can get, best anchor, best lure, and yet another thing that will not die (cannot stress how much a Levi, A&D, and Bette can just tilt your opponent.)

Thanks,

Steven

I echo this post as my choices are often similar for the same reasons. Gg2018 will probably change this a little but I suspect very minor to the way I play Levi 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The general consensus is GG2018 will brin back elite crews back, since there is a far mix of scheme scenarios and killy-kill scenarios. 

Since Leveticus can run well in both situations, looks like he will be in a good place scenario wise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/23/2017 at 3:52 AM, KID55 said:

Key: You need 10+ in hand

 

Activation flow on first turn:

A&D move forward, but need to be in 10" from Leveticus

Leveticus (if 10+ in hand) use Channel, jump to A&D, and try to do killy stuff OR (if you have not 10+ in hand) sac A&D for 2 cards and walk forward, summon wife

 

Levi cannot sac for cards and summon a waif on the same turn  Since both are zeros, you can only do 1 (unless you have instinctual, which Levi doesn't)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Davos said:

Levi cannot sac for cards and summon a waif on the same turn  Since both are zeros, you can only do 1 (unless you have instinctual, which Levi doesn't)

Yes, Kaos correct me earlier.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I find my levi list is pretty much static, only changing for a few spcific schemes (Show of Force and A Quick Murder)

I go:

Levi:

+Iron (switched into either oathkeeper or halving trigger upgrade whose name I've forgotten w/tereracotta)

+Desolation Soul

2 waifs

Ashes & Dust + Bigger They Are OR Scramble

Peacekeeper + Oathkeeper

Midnightstalker + Oathkeeper (sometimes)

Terracotta Warrior

Necropunk

It handles most everything well and gives you 8 activations to start, with a summon of waif for 9.

I switch A&D for Strongarm Suit when Quick Murder is in the pool

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Ray said:

I echo this post as my choices are often similar for the same reasons. Gg2018 will probably change this a little but I suspect very minor to the way I play Levi 

I on the other hand see that my Levi play, while not changing crew, will see less competitive play.  I see necropunks not being as nearly as important to getting points (just the change to the always scheme makes that so).  I see (and this will be a shocker) Hamlin and Viks (I have my own void spam version you can read on different thread) will be my goto.  I may take Tara in stake a claim, and may take Levi (for a Belle) into head Hunter.  Otherwise Hamlin or Viks for almost every combo.

Note, all this is total guess as not played a lot of finished gg2018.

Thanks,

Steven

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×