Is anyone doing well with Talos?

Pyrflamme

On 10/25/2017 at 1:15 AM, beergod said:

Use Hannah's upgrade to bury the Master early, then attack with Talos and Void Wretches on the buried target.  As there is 5-6 Wretches that is in the list that is 12-14 attacks that do not need LOS 

I'm a bit confused... how do the wretches get so many attacks?  Their attack that works on buried things is a 2 AP attack... is there an upgrade/wording I'm missing? 

11 hours ago, Shock & Awe said:

I'm a bit confused... how do the wretches get so many attacks?  Their attack that works on buried things is a 2 AP attack... is there an upgrade/wording I'm missing? 

One of Tara's new upgrades (as Keget said), changes all the Void Maw attacks of Wretches (the action that lets you attack buried models (Ml 4 2/3/4 i think, don't hold me on that damage track though) into a 1AP action.  So with 6 void wretches, which is the standard Tara Void Spam I believe (or at least the version I've seen/played the most) you can have up to 12 Void Maw attacks (assuming you haven't lost any wretches).  I haven't run/seen it with Talos yet but on paper it seems strong.  Talos's bury is really strong (he perm-buried my Strongarm Suit - since you contest the bury on Talos's activation, if you pop out, he can just do it again, @ CA 7, if I remember correctly) so you bury something then have a jolly time biting the crap out of it with wretches.  You might not kill it, cause Ml 4, but you'll eat a ton of cards from your opponent. 

• Like 1

Talos is sadly Wp 6 (which he uses directly for his bury), which actually does complicate getting in those crucial buries, particularly against the bevy of Wp 7 Masters that are out there.

While I acknowledge 12-18 attacks is better than 6-9, I'm going to try a permutation with three Wretches. I know a lot of people out there dislike Karina, but high-Crow turns have usually worked out well for me. Plus I got Hannah around with that extra card...

Tara (5SS pool)

-Dead of Winter

-Emptiness

-Obliteration Symbiote

-Knowledge of Eternity

-Survivalist

-Out of Time

Karina

-The Faces of Oblivion

Hannah

-Ancient Runes

Talos

-The Bigger They Are

Void Wretch

Void Wretch

Void Wretch

Hodgepodge Effigy

I know Hodgepodge is a bit rare these days, but with the extreme damage Tara is capable of in later turns with The Clock Is Ticking, I think it's worth a look. Also the cheap activation is nice.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Pyrflamme said:

Talos is sadly Wp 6 (which he uses directly for his bury), which actually does complicate getting in those crucial buries, particularly against the bevy of Wp 7 Masters that are out there.

While I acknowledge 12-18 attacks is better than 6-9, I'm going to try a permutation with three Wretches. I know a lot of people out there dislike Karina, but high-Crow turns have usually worked out well for me. Plus I got Hannah around with that extra card...

Tara (5SS pool)

-Dead of Winter

-Emptiness

-Obliteration Symbiote

-Knowledge of Eternity

-Survivalist

-Out of Time

Karina

-The Faces of Oblivion

Hannah

-Ancient Runes

Talos

-The Bigger They Are

Void Wretch

Void Wretch

Void Wretch

Hodgepodge Effigy

I know Hodgepodge is a bit rare these days, but with the extreme damage Tara is capable of in later turns with The Clock Is Ticking, I think it's worth a look. Also the cheap activation is nice.

I look forward to hearing how this does.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/23/2017 at 4:48 AM, apes-ma said:

Don't you find the requirement for a :mask for Hannah's bury to be a bit too restrictive to make use of it reliably? I can imagine that she just eats stones to get the bury off every turn, and then it also puts pressure on activation order as well since the model comes back at the end of the turn. On the other hand, stomping a big base over the void record marker is always pretty fun...

If you have a Freicorpsman, or someone else with Reference the Field Guide, Hannah can use her 0 action to borrow Reference the Field Guide. That way she can discard a low mask to get the suit for the duel.  It's not worth taking a Freicorpsman just for that, but it does make her bury reliable without using stones.

On 10/29/2017 at 3:54 PM, Pyrflamme said:

Tara (5SS pool)

-Dead of Winter

-Emptiness

-Obliteration Symbiote

-Knowledge of Eternity

-Survivalist

-Out of Time

Karina

-The Faces of Oblivion

Hannah

-Ancient Runes

Talos

-The Bigger They Are

Void Wretch

Void Wretch

Void Wretch

Hodgepodge Effigy

Ran this today in a basic scheme/strat pool (Reckoning with both of us taking Deliver a Message, then I had Protect and he had Distract). Went very well for me, playing against Gremlins. Never got a bury in with Hannah herself and I'd probably drop Ancient Runes for something a bit more potent, but otherwise Wretches and Effigy ran schemes except for one turn where Talos buried a full health War Pig (healing 8 wounds!) and then the Wretches bit it a bunch. Got two soulstones with Hodgepodge t4/t5 with Tara's 4 and 5 damage pokes (only one poke each turn of course, since I went first with Tara to secure the reactivate).

Not quite as killy as NB/Bishop (...even though I did get a Red Joker on Hannah's first damage flip when bombing her...) but definitely a lot of fun.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Outside of Tara I am quite keen to try Talos with Jack Daw. First I thought he might just work like a nice min 3 beater that ISN'T 10SS to put into a tormented list (making the Guilty tax a bit less awful), but then I started to think that there might be a fun/janky list in there. I am thinking something like...

Jack Daw
- Twist and Turn
- Writing Torment
- 3x curses

Talos
- Oathkeeper?

Montresor
- Brick by Brick

Jaakuna Ubume
- The Creeping Terror

The Guilty

Nurse

Some other stuff...

This is probably a nonsense list - but none the less... The plan, roughly, is to torment Talos, and then at some point copy Into The Furnace with Jack, who is Wp 7, which ought to (or hopefully...) means that whatever he puts away is staying away for quite a while. To support this, Jaakuna is there to lure things into Montressors zone of -1Wp to make the initial bury a bit easier, which also helps with getting Talos to fire off his bury. Hopefully these two buried models stay buried for a while, and the Nurse keeps Monty in good health (if needs be), and Jack and Talos do their thing and terrorise the board... The remainder of the stones can be spent as needed dependant on strats and schemes - get some scheme runners, or another tough model or something.

Like I said, probably not good! But I am looking forward to trying it out!

13 hours ago, Freman said:

Dry fitting, trial and error.

As is normal with Wyrd.

He's actually one of the easiest models to put together once I started....although the arms are weirdly molded, attaching to the sprue along the inside so that it looks like an intended 'lump' is actually part sprue.  

• Like 1

He's really pretty easy - the only bit that confused me were his sabatons.

I've only had one game so far, but Talos was great. His low Defense is a real pain at range but against bigger targets he closes with he can really do work - he ate Lilitu, Coppelius, and Lelu in that game, and then the Wretches chewed them up while they were held.

It was beautiful. :lol: