Ototo's & Samurais' ridiculously low Wp... Why?

Da Git

So as the title says, is there any reason why Ototo and Samurai have such pathetic Wp?

In all of Ototo's stories, he's been a total badass, fearlessly striding into battle to lay the beatdown.  Even in his entry in Storm of Shadows, he smashed Huggy without missing a beat, noting those who ran with contempt... His Laugh off ability back then also allowed him to swap his Wp for his Cb (6) for a (0) action.  Now in M2E, his been completely left by the wayside, partly, I believe, because of his Wp. 

But really, why does Misaki's chief henchman have such pathetic Wp?  It just doesn't make any sense to me.

As for the Samurai, in the real world, Samurai were some of the most disciplined warriors to have ever existed.  Them having Wp 4 also doesn't make much sense.

I await your illumination!  Cheers!

• Like 2

I suppose it's merely because, in early design, they both [Ototo and Samurai] seemed too resilient, and probably designers wanted some kind of weak point. ALso, I guess Enrage suits better a model with low Wp.

I love Ototo since the very beginning, and even more when I saw the amazing concept in the last book. It's really a pity that such a badass character get's so little use in the table (and I'm the first to put him aside). Not implying that a +1/+2 Wp would fix that, but at least it would be... less humiliating? 

I think Gennosuke is right that all of them suffer from the so called "first book syndrome". Fluff-wise, I think that Ototo's low Wp reflects his inability to control his anger and possibly other feelings. What makes him brave also renders him less virtuos than you would expect from a samurai. As for Samurai, beside they might have seemed strong then, maybe designers wanted to give Zoraida some opportunity to use her Thrall ability and hire something which would compensate for in-faction weaknesses (lack of long-range shooting).

• 4 weeks later...