Yan Lo Tips please

So. I'm typically a Neverborn player but I dip into TT from time to time. I really enjoy Yan Lo aesthetically and thematically. I've almost always played him TT. I think TT are just a really strong, tight knit faction. I've been picking up a few extra non-TT models (goryo, hanged, belles, datsue ba) to boost my crew and widen the scope of my play. Running Datsue Ba to drop those early Seishin for the early Yan Lo chi is pretty obvious but I've seen some folks talk about dropping mindless zombies in a similar way. Obviously this would be great because I could boost chi and turn their corpses into Ashigaru. That's pretty strong. But the zombies are un-hirable. Must be summoned. So. Other then My Little Helper how do I get mindless zombies on the board? 

Mindless Zombies are not so great for generating Chi, though. Wd 3 means you can't kill them in one drop like the Seishin, but it also means that if you use a Severe, you've basically 'wasted' a kill (if you drop a Severe on other models, you can then kill them afterwards with a normal hit and thus get 2 Chi).

I haven't played lots of Yan lo, and certainly not since the new upgrades are out, so circumstances may change, but I didn't find that I needed to kill my own models to generate enough Chi to attach an upgrade every turn.

But back to your question. From my head...

Turn 1 you have Autopsies, Muhuhua upgrade, Asura, My little helper (at the cost of losing that model), Anna.

Carrion emissary doesn't get you the zombies until end of turn.  

• 3 weeks later...

Transcendence is difficult to get off timing wise. I find I want my Chi for other things too often. Later in the game I may use it, but even then I may not have enough spare Chi or it may not make a significant difference. They would be annoying, but as Chi is a valuabel resource, you'd be better to use that extra armour on your better models first.