Master Breakdown Scheme Pool Edition

Mxbedlam

So given that Malifaux is intended to be a game where crews and masters change often where do you see the strengths of our Outcast masters? Which strategies and schemes do you take each Master? Is there one they dominate the others at or is there one that they simply struggle with? For me so far:

Hamelin: While there isn't a pool Hamelin can't do I feel like he's much better suited to holding point schemes and swarm the board type schemes. I look at Hamelin when I want to see more which schemes can I deny my opponent and force them into awkward or bad situations. I don't generally take Hamelin into Reckoning, Collect Bounty Pools just because others are so much more efficient at it.

Leveticus: Ever since he was nerfed, Leveticus has kind of been in an odd position. He's not the model delete button he used to be. Instead I see him more as an attrition summoner akin to McMourning. Kill a model, replace it with an abom. I really like him for Reckoning because 2 models isn't hard to swing. I will also use him in Headhunter and Squatter's Rights because of mobility. 

Tara: Just learning her but Tara is my go to for Stake a Claim. She also overlaps with Levi in Headhunter and Squatter's Rights just because handing out slow makes it so much harder for the opponent to counter interact. 

VIks: Haven't played with them yet but Viks are tailor made for the killy strategies. It is good to point out though that because they will sometimes outpace their crew, Headhunter isn't always their best bet though it is by no means a deterimental scheme. 

Jack Daw: Haven't played him at all so no comment

Parker: Ditto

Von Schill: Double Ditto

What are your experiences?

Jack plays well into head hunter with all of the pushes you can get in his crew.

Tara plays well into interference as she herself can redeploy into her deployment zone and also just has a lot of movement options. Also a timely bury can really swing a table quarter.

Von Schill does well with guard the stash because he can keep an entire friekorp crew in his bubble, doesn’t have to worry about blasts or pulses so they can bunch up and brings a lot of healing.

VS is really good with Extraction and Guard the Stash.  Bubbling up and holding a point is his bread and butter, with his ghetto hard to wound, healing, and new throw.  Since he and Strongarm Suit can charge while engaged, they can bounce around while the rest of your core lock down the objective.  

For schemes, Show of Force is an autotake, since he wants to be in the center.  I also find Dig their Graves is strong for him, along with Undercover Entourage 

In order by the number of games I have have with them:

Parker Barrows- I like taking Parker into most pools, but prefer ones where you can score without getting into the enemy deployment zone or need to clump.  I like maximizing the number of shots he can take on the enemy.  Bonus points for “X scheme markers near Y enemy models” schemes thanks to Fistful of Scrip.

Viks- already discussed in the thread, but kill-based schemes with end of game scheme marker options. 

Misaki- with her new upgrades, I see Misaki as a great choice for spread-out/table quarter games.  She can Thunder blast to clean up minions from rediculous range, or change gears and assassinate a single model.  Plus built in pushes on everything.  Also good in that since she doesn’t really buff any friendly models, she is ok being isolated from them.

Von Schill- similar to Parker, but if I expect conditions/ armor/ push shenanigans.  Admittedly I need more practice with him.

Hamelin/ Jack/ Levi - haven’t tried them, so won’t comment.

Levi is the one I struggle with the most. I don't feel like there's one strat or scheme he does so much better than everyone else. He has hit this very odd mediocre position. Which isn't bad but it also makes me struggle to want to take him over Hamelin most games. 

I think with Interference he's nice.  And most scheme he can do, either through killing which he's strong at, or his massive hiring pool for the more "schemey" stuff, or summoning off kills.  Levi is certainly kinda awkward though.  Sicne Hamlin is the crazy strong Tyrant he is , if you have both, its a hard call to choose Levi instead.

Whereas for me, I only have Levi an Von Schill, so its picking Von Schill is the hard call instead of Levi.

• Like 1

I've played Leveticus 1 year. I really like him in Turf war-like strategies. For schemes: Frame for Murder my favorite with Desolation Engine. Accusation or Mark for Death too with A&D. I struggle in Quarter strategies against Gremlins. But that because of our local gremlin-players very strong. For scheme running he has Nekropunks (one punk can make claim jump by itself). For Dig their Graves he has A&D. Leveticus pretty strong, combo-oriented master too me. And with his new Untimely Demise upgrade, he again went into close combat, and he can be terrible on it. For example: A&D activates, move into position for close combat. Leveticus activates, use Channel, use Rebirth and jump to A&D in close combat with enemy model, hit first time with free focus, take one more focus, hit a second time with focus. If after that he would kill - great, enemies get 2 additional damage. Or if not use A&D: Leveticus activates, use Channel, move if necessary (or take one more focus), charge enemy, one hit with focus (or double), another hit "test your luck", then use Sanguine Evocation and deal 2 additional damage. In total: one hit 8 dmg (or 9 on RJ), another 1 dmg (negative scenario) and 2 dmg from pulse = 11 dmg, not so bad? Yes, you may not kill some masters or hard henchmens, if it has full wounds, but other models - you are welcome.

played Levi last night vs Ironsides in the new symbols of authority. 9-9 tie on turn 7. Steamfitter really is super annoying. Metal Plate stacking puts a kink in Levi's ability to kill models, especially with his melee attack. Also, Ironside's challenge forced me to go in ranged. In the end the crew's massive mobility got me my points and it would have been 9-8 if not for having to take 2 more turns!!!

On Mon Oct 16 2017 at 3:28 AM, Azrrael said:

Basically Viks and Hamelin are the only two masters you should own if you want to be "competitive" with Tara kind of sliding into a slot that is super niche. Parker Vs jack Levi all suck comparatively. Misaki is okay just a less good Viks. 

What is niche slot for Tara in your opinion? I love her theme and playstyle, but struggle to find any reason to take her over Viks or Hamelin in any pool.

6 hours ago, Raimu said:

What is niche slot for Tara in your opinion? I love her theme and playstyle, but struggle to find any reason to take her over Viks or Hamelin in any pool.

She can do some amazing work in Stake a Claim and Interference. The Void Spam list basically slows everything on the board and then just does what it needs to without worrying about your opponent. 

Maybe? I feel like Marlena is....ok. Definitely the least useful of the Divergent Paths models. That's a pretty big tax to keep Viks alive. Especially since, with the right planning you shouldn't have much trouble with that. Misaki's upgrades definitely gave her some game but the lack of Misdirection or TC Warrior means that Viks are pretty much always better at killy strategies than Misaki in Outcast. Misaki Thunders style is a very different story.