Nef

Iron Painter 2017 - Round Two

2 hours ago, Joe Cool said:

Started my project ...

The plan is to use 2K water and submerge the tentacles and lower part of the raft.

I've only done 2K Water once in a workshop, so lets see how I do on my own...

large.59de2b2f1f0eb_shipwreckedbasecoate

what is that mini from? the raft is really detailed.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, peebs said:

I'm pretty excited by this theme - although I'm a little intimidated too as I haven't really worked with water much before.

That's the great thing about this competition though, it really pushes you out of your comfort zone. Round one was my first real attempt at osl and my idea for this round will require me to try out a lot of new things too.

Basing is a major weakness for me and my current plan is rather ambitious but I'll give it my best shot and hopefully learn some new skills.

Basing is one of my stronger points, PM for some tips

• Like 1

So... Yesterday I placed an overnight order for the Drowned online. This morning they messaged me that they were out of Drowned and they had no ETA for restock. Question how many people are painting up the Drowned for round 2?

Anyone else have good suggestions for an aquatic miniature?

I'd just finished my background for the drowned stage i setup too...

1 hour ago, PoodlesWithGuns said:

So... Yesterday I placed an overnight order for the Drowned online. This morning they messaged me that they were out of Drowned and they had no ETA for restock. Question how many people are painting up the Drowned for round 2?

much less pricey than demonn's still beautiful piece. 54mm. they also have a 32mm that is only $9.

http://morlandstudios.com/webstore/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=36&products_id=382

here is another one:

https://www.blacksunminiatures.co.uk/product/merman/

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PoodlesWithGuns said:

Update.. so turns out they did ship me the models. so now I maybe have way more drowned then I planned for. how many do people usually use in a list? 6? 10?

• Haha 1

Good luck, everybody! I'm going to be experimenting a bit with this piece, using a model I was excited to paint and some water effects on the base for a mini diorama. I certainly put my Round 2 opponent in the Top 16 when I voted, so I won't feel bad going down to such a proficient painter. But, hey, you never know!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Zatch said:

what is that mini from? the raft is really detailed.

Raft is scratch built. "Captain" and Tentacles are from the rum and bones kickstarter.

• Like 2

I've struggled with making a decision on this one with too many ideas and then debating over how literal to be. 

I hate my stupid overthinky brain so I'm keeping it simple

• Like 8

Couldn't get Woodland Scenics water effect at the local hobby store, and I don't have time to wait for mail order  (I have only three and a half days to work on my entry)

Does anyone have any Experience with Vallejo Extra Heavy Gel? Does it work similar to the Woodland Scenics one?

This is gonna be my first attempt at water effects and I don't have time for trial and error, unfortunatelly

so this is how far i got yesterday, the base is now getting the water on it and looks kind of boring. but i did start my mini as well. water everywhere, so theres gonna be water pretty much everywhere, i will incorporate it on my mini as well.

well i was going to show you but the pic wont upload. guess i will have to wait.

2 hours ago, zombiedragon said:

Does anyone have any Experience with Vallejo Extra Heavy Gel? Does it work similar to the Woodland Scenics one?

Haven't worked with WS, but I have done stuff with Vallejo EHG. It's a white paste, holds shape pretty good and dries clear. however, if you have a big volume, it will take some time to cure - as in a couple of days up to a week.
So the trick is to do couple of thinner layers (2-3mm thick) rather than one big/thick one

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Demonn Agram said:

Haven't worked with WS, but I have done stuff with Vallejo EHG. It's a white paste, holds shape pretty good and dries clear. however, if you have a big volume, it will take some time to cure - as in a couple of days up to a week.
So the trick is to do couple of thinner layers (2-3mm thick) rather than one big/thick one

Thanks a lot, I will try to do it in thin layers then!

3 minutes ago, zombiedragon said:

Thanks a lot, I will try to do it in thin layers then!

no problem. it does cure clear even if it's thick, but I'm just giving you a heads up because of the tight schedule for the IP round...

• Like 1

The WS definitely cures into shape faster and is better for making waves and waterfalls and such. The Vallejo gel actually works pretty well as a glue for the WS features that gives it a little added volume. Of course, you can just use a structure for features and use the Vallejo gel. People use the thin, flexible blister plastic for this and it seems to work pretty well.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, PoodlesWithGuns said:

that was the first thing I thought of, then I switched to something else

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, beergod said:

that was the first thing I thought of, then I switched to something else

Ditto. 

I would assume nearly everyone did the same... Water eh? First thought... Drowned.

• Like 1

@zombiedragon - have you used the Vallejo Water Effects? Not sure if it's exactly what you are talking about already. Just mentioning because it comes in a couple colours as well as clear - which is useful for things like waves

My idea so far is kind of opposite, there's a card in MTG I'm trying to recall - very much like unquenchable thirst but anyway it's inspiring.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Whirler said:

@Kai Will all judges be judging all rounds?

from previous posts on this forum it sounds like judges are in charge of gold and silver levels. the community will be voting on bronze level

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Zatch said:

from previous posts on this forum it sounds like judges are in charge of gold and silver levels. the community will be voting on bronze level

@Whirler This is accurate.  

"Bronze Tier participants will be randomly matched up against one another in head to head competitions. The community will vote for which one is the winner (whoever gets the most votes). The loser will be eliminated from the contest.

Gold and Silver Tier participants will be matched based on their seed, as determined by their scores in the first Round. You can find the pairing chart below. The entries will then be judged, using the same criteria as the First Round, by our panel of judges (and only our panel of judges)" From the Iron Painter original thread: 

49 minutes ago, Kai said:

@Whirler This is accurate.  

"Bronze Tier participants will be randomly matched up against one another in head to head competitions. The community will vote for which one is the winner (whoever gets the most votes). The loser will be eliminated from the contest.

Gold and Silver Tier participants will be matched based on their seed, as determined by their scores in the first Round. You can find the pairing chart below. The entries will then be judged, using the same criteria as the First Round, by our panel of judges (and only our panel of judges)" From the Iron Painter original thread: 

Thanks! I was just curious since the last couple of years I've been in the contest there were three judges. Since the maximum number of points per entry has increased too, the total maximum score will be 150 as opposed to 60 last year.