Kai

Iron Painter 2017 - Round Two

I'm confused... people happily took on a challenge for OSL, one of the techniques that is hailed as extremely tough, but now the theme is open for any interpretation you want... people start dropping out?

the first round may have been the most challenging.. now it's time to enjoy some hobby. 

• Like 5

54 minutes ago, Zatch said:

I have an idea, but I'm not sure water effects will hold to the shape I am wanting... we will have to run some tests!

If you are looking for a product that is clear and will hold shape take a look at Golden Brand artist Gel mediums. You can find them at Blick art materials (not sure if there is one in your area or there might be another distributor) but there are heavy and high solid gels that hold their shapes and can be mixed with paints to create layers. 

https://www.goldenpaints.com/products/medium-gels-pastes

https://www.dickblick.com/products/golden-acrylic-gel-mediums/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, BruceStrange said:

Okay sorry for my posts. I'm obviously not in line with the thinking of the community here. I was so excited about this contest when I heard about it. All I'm getting from it is negative now. I'm dropping from the contest. As another posted earlier "its not my cup of tea" i guess. I wish you all the best and hope you bennefit from it! I'm new to malifaux and this community. Hopefully I will blend in better in the future.

Painting contest is not the same as the game it self, keep playing it is a wonderful game and the community is very good at helping playsers out. 

Well this competition continues to push me to try new things. For instance, I've never applied a hacksaw to a miniature before. 😮

IMG_20171010_162755184.jpg

36 minutes ago, Fenix729 said:

If you are looking for a product that is clear and will hold shape take a look at Golden Brand artist Gel mediums. You can find them at Blick art materials (not sure if there is one in your area or there might be another distributor) but there are heavy and high solid gels that hold their shapes and can be mixed with paints to create layers. 

https://www.goldenpaints.com/products/medium-gels-pastes

https://www.dickblick.com/products/golden-acrylic-gel-mediums/

the name of that site 0_____0

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Mr Lucky said:

I'm confused... people happily took on a challenge for OSL, one of the techniques that is hailed as extremely tough, but now the theme is open for any interpretation you want... people start dropping out?

the first round may have been the most challenging.. now it's time to enjoy some hobby. 

I'm feeling that way because it's a community thing and my views seem so different from the community. Just like your comment. Seems like a passive aggressive dig at me for my stance on dropping. You have gotten more than a few likes in such a short time, the community obviously supports this. It just doesnt seem like something i want to be a part of.

2 minutes ago, Zatch said:

the name of that site 0_____0

It was the founder's name actually and started off as a mail order business in 1911. I used to work there a long time ago, so much stuff to look at (read as: BUY). 

24 minutes ago, BruceStrange said:

I'm feeling that way because it's a community thing and my views seem so different from the community. Just like your comment. Seems like a passive aggressive dig at me for my stance on dropping. You have gotten more than a few likes in such a short time, the community obviously supports this. It just doesnt seem like something i want to be a part of.

I guess I'm confused as to what your views are? If themes were super restrictive it wouldn't be fun.. 

at the end of the day it's a hobby contest, and a tough one at that. I would love to see you continue to participate.. you may end up surprising yourself, I certainly have. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, BruceStrange said:

The likes (at least mine for sure) was for the OSL tough, fun times now part. Your views are yours and respected as such, pick the right path for yourself. But most people here, I hope, would see anyone putting anything forward as good and your unique take on the theme is as valid as anyone's and just as welcomed if you do it 😀

18 minutes ago, Kai said:

• Like 1

I really can't decide on what to do here. I have about 6 ideas after ruling out the ones I don't think I could achieve in the time. 
Think I might have to flip a coin! 

5 minutes ago, icatsai said:

I really can't decide on what to do here. I have about 6 ideas after ruling out the ones I don't think I could achieve in the time. 
Think I might have to flip a coin! 

Roll a D6

:P

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

It took me a little while to decide on my direction, but I really like the Rime of the Ancient Mariner and so I think I am going to try something that I hope speaks to "Water water everywhere, and not a drop to drink!" I am somewhat limited by cost, so I am only using models and supplies that I already have. I think I have all I need though! Let's see if I can bring the idea I've got in my head to life!

6 hours ago, BruceStrange said:

Okay sorry for my posts. I'm obviously not in line with the thinking of the community here. I was so excited about this contest when I heard about it. All I'm getting from it is negative now. I'm dropping from the contest. As another posted earlier "its not my cup of tea" i guess. I wish you all the best and hope you bennefit from it! I'm new to malifaux and this community. Hopefully I will blend in better in the future.

Keep in Mind you are only dealing with at most what 10 people who are being vocal on their opions at this time?  That does not necessarily mean you do not blend well, and it doesn't mean you wont do well in the next round of judging.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Zatch said:

I have an idea, but I'm not sure water effects will hold to the shape I am wanting... we will have to run some tests!

LOL, I'm testing water stuff for this right now (picture in WIP). If you want to mold shapes, check out Water Effects from Woodland Scenics (big bottle on left). It holds shapes and you can create stuff on wax paper and attach it after it dries.

And to be honest, I still Gave People where I could not find the theme a 5 when I judged.  I know many people disagree with that. But the 5/5/2 was my "you participated,." score because of the minimum needed to beat a DNF is what 12?13? I would only score someone below that if all they did was Prime or base coat or something.  Vrs I am sure poeple were also No OSL =1, and Average =5. 

• Like 2

I had the perfect model for this theme...then I went and painted it a couple of months ago. Internal monologue: 'Why?!!? Why oh why did you touch the grey wall of shame!!' *Head banging on desk*:blast

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, easily_mused said:

And to be honest, I still Gave People where I could not find the theme a 5 when I judged.  I know many people disagree with that. But the 5/5/2 was my "you participated,." score because of the minimum needed to beat a DNF is what 12?13? I would only score someone below that if all they did was Prime or base coat or something.  Vrs I am sure poeple were also No OSL =1, and Average =5. 

It's a 0-10 scale. 

NoOSL should be a 0, this is a competition, not youth soccer. 

Participation scores are harmful to the spirit of the competition and participants growth as painters/hobbyists.

This is something that should have been clearly communicated up front.

Maybe I'm wrong and this is supposed to be a big group hug session, but that's not what I signed up for.

I signed up for an honest challenge to better grow as a hobbyist, work down some of my pile of shame, and get real criticism of my work.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, neoezekiel said:

This is something that should have been clearly communicated up front.

EASY WAY OUT

Any submission that is up against a DNF may be disqualified if it gets a total score of less than 12 points (averaged). This counts as a loss. This rule is intended to stop people who see that their opponent will be a DNF from taking the easy way out and submitting a “meh” piece of work.

This Rule, Stated at the beginning is why I would not give any fully painted piece a score below a 12.  I do not think of it as a "Group Hug"  I think of it as Did you do more effort than a blank Screen?  Then yes you get a 12. But because how the score is divided that means a 5 minimum for Theme unless I want to say someone did better in technique then they did. 

If no theme = 0.. then they really need to Change and Look at the "Easy Way Out" Rule .  It has been around for awhile, so that 12 goal may reflect a different grading break down.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, easily_mused said:

EASY WAY OUT

Any submission that is up against a DNF may be disqualified if it gets a total score of less than 12 points (averaged). This counts as a loss. This rule is intended to stop people who see that their opponent will be a DNF from taking the easy way out and submitting a “meh” piece of work.

This Rule, Stated at the beginning is why I would not give any fully painted piece a score below a 12.  I do not think of it as a "Group Hug"  I think of it as Did you do more effort than a blank Screen?  Then yes you get a 12. But because how the score is divided that means a 5 minimum for Theme unless I want to say someone did better in technique then they did. 

If no theme = 0.. then they really need to Change and Look at the "Easy Way Out" Rule .  It has been around for awhile, so that 12 goal may reflect a different grading break down.

If you're ignoring the theme, why even bother to finish? It's part of the score for a reason.

1 hour ago, scott-42 said:

LOL, I'm testing water stuff for this right now (picture in WIP). If you want to mold shapes, check out Water Effects from Woodland Scenics (big bottle on left). It holds shapes and you can create stuff on wax paper and attach it after it dries.

I have used woodland scenics before. unfortunately I need my water to have some structure and not just sit in a pond or rapids. it doesn't hold a shape like that well.

38 minutes ago, neoezekiel said:

If you're ignoring the theme, why even bother to finish? It's part of the score for a reason.

55 minutes ago, easily_mused said:

EASY WAY OUT

I'm gonna get in on this debate as I just went through the scores and thought they were a bit low to me.  I understand the desire not to DNF people if they submitted a piece but also understand the importance of theme in regards to the Iron Painter. This was how I scored to try and balance things out:

1. Theme: Was it OSL/attempted OSL? If clearly yes, 10 points; if attempted but misinterpreted 5 points;  if not attempted, 0.

2. Technical:  Painting quality amateur -  0-3; Intermediate - 4-6; Professional - 7-9; Master - 10

3. Aesthetics:  How pretty was it? Color choice, diorama vs. single model, etc. here is where the subjectivity really entered the picture.

Out of the 175 scores posted I noted the Mean was 14.72. Based on my judging, if you demonstrated any level of OSL, were even a beginning intermediate painter and painted something nice looking you should have gotten a score of 16. There were some very nice pieces in the 14 range, which is too close to the DNF for my comfort level considering the effort put into them. But hey, I've never judged before so I'm learning, as many of us in this competition are.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Phadlert said:

General consensus -- ice count as water? or must it be in liquid form?

I say no or the theme would be Ice, Ice, Everywhere, but that's my opinion. If you all disagree with me I'll scrap my current project and build a Raputina Crew! :P