New player starting with Asami

Dizb

Hi there! New player here with some questions,

Asami seems like a very interesting Master but her summons do have a "Flicker" condition where if it runs out, your summoned minions disappear. How do you guys make the best out of your minions before they disappear?

Should I start off an encounter with the Yokai or keep them for summons?

Also, what do you all recommend I should get since I'll be getting An Oni's Wrath?

5 hours ago, Dizb said:

Hi there! New player here with some questions,

Asami seems like a very interesting Master but her summons do have a "Flicker" condition where if it runs out, your summoned minions disappear. How do you guys make the best out of your minions before they disappear?

Should I start off an encounter with the Yokai or keep them for summons?

Also, what do you all recommend I should get since I'll be getting An Oni's Wrath?

I'd like to start off by saying that a lot has changed with the newest book Broken Promises and that the "old" way of playing will probably have changed a lot. I'm not well versed in Asami's new upgrade, so I might be wrong here.

First off the Flicker condition works for Asami because she has a summoning style that's more "in the moment". Her summons are not meant to last, they are meant to do damage or tie up models for 1/2 turns while the rest of your crew is free to do as they please.

I never start off with Yokai as they are THE best summons Asami has right now to the point that I summon them probably 99.99% of the time. But why is that? When you summon a Yokai, you may choose to give it an additional Flicker. This means these guys can live into the next Turn if you need them just to tie up certain resources, hold points, ... Their main use however is offensive as you may have noticed from the card. Using 1 Flicker and the built-in mask gives you a double + flip on the damage flip, which is EXTREMELY powerful. The downside is that you can only use this once as your Yokai disappears before his attack finishes if he goes to 0 Flicker due to it.

All this means that I usually summon Yokai, use their 1 AP Charge action with Asami and just try and stick as much damage as possible onto enemy models.

The other great summon Asami has, but is almost never used, is Jorogumo. He requires a 13:mask to summon, but only starts with 1 Flicker. He has a 50mm base with a 3" Engagement range, which means he can tie up a lot of models if you can summon him in the right spot. He's also built to tank, which reinforces that idea.

The downside to Jorogumo is that he starts with only 1 Flicker and fades out the Turn he was summoned. You really NEED those extra corpse/scrap markers to make him stick. No point in having a tanky model with a huge card investment for just a couple of activations.

Models I can certainly recommend are the Terracotta Warrrior and Yasunori.

Yasunori is an Oni, os he can take a 1 AP Charge if he's within 4" of Asami and he has a HUGE charge range of 10" combined with a melee range of 2". This means you could possibly walk once (6") next to Asami and then charge (10") to engage something within 2". This gives a possible 18" threat range on a model that is probably one of the biggest damage threats we have in our entire faction that isn't a master.

The Terracotta Warrior(TCW) can give a condition to frienly minions and enforcers (Yasunori!!) to take a hit for them if they are within 10" and LoS of the TCW. If he takes damage from that condition, you can discard a card once per Turn to ignore that damage. This means you can let Yasunori live longer, so he becomes an even bigger threat. Using strong minions? Buff them up!

The second use of the TCW allows you to change upgrades on models. Say your master started with an upgrade that you're just not getting value from. TCW can change that! You're in the last turn and you want to change that Equality to Recalled Training for crazy damage? TCW can do that!

I'll be stopping here right now as my post is getting rather long and I want to give you some time to let this sink in already and let other correct me on points I might have wronged :)

I summon Tengu early on... they get the single flicker, and as long as they are within 10" of Asami (with A Heavenly Design upgrade) when the flicker runs out, they drop a scheme marker.  When a tengu activate they can be placed in contact with a scheme marker within 5".  

Bonus if you have Shadow Emissary with Orochi Conflux upgrade who places scheme markers next to itself when an oni is sacrificed within 6"; you're making it rain scheme markers!

Now by second turn you have plenty of scheme markers together to summon stuff for a while or heal Asami in a pinch.  Also, if you play hard mode, position stuff properly and Tengu can dole out the stackable Regeneration condition on your beater models before the Tengu fade away due to flicker.

Also, the new combination with the Orochi Conflux upgrade's new 0 action to remove half of an oni's wounds plus one to give that oni exactly 1 more flicker.  It now gives use to the Obsidian Oni, who being low on wounds will be the easier to explode and/or stay around an extra turn giving out healing and burning.

27 minutes ago, Jesy Blue said:

Now by second turn you have plenty of scheme markers together to summon stuff for a while or heal Asami in a pinch. 

This is not right if you mean to gain Flicker from Scheme Markers.  You only gain extra Flicker from Corpse or Scrap markers.  If you mean something different, then apologies and I don't see it!

Agree with everything @whodares said.  Yokai are amazing summons!  Summon those.  I usually go for 2 first turn.  Teleport, Tendrils (hopefully with the push trigger) a beater up.  Then summon two Yokai at 4" primed for a charge!

Yasunori is insanely brutal, although the Emissary's very good too.  I also usually start with an Obsidian (or two!) to try and get some scrap down to summon a Jorogumo if I get the chance, but otherwise, it's mostly just Yokai.

The only Upgrade that I've found auto is A Heavenly Design.  That teleport is worth the 2ss on it's own!  The new ones look good too, but not auto so lots of room to experiment!

Asami really likes Obsidian Oni because they can make scrap markers very easily, letting her get 2-3 flicker instead of 1 on her summon. Akaname synergize with the marker drops on yokai, obsidian oni and ohaguro to get free pushes and set up their poison so they can drop corpses or scheme markers, but usually you wont need these too much, though i do like to summon them sometimes when i know at least two corpses will drop so i can have them drop a scheme marker with their 0, then get sacrificed and drop another one.

Aside from all the Oni Asami can enjoy some other models like the dawn serpent, because she can give it focus 2 so it can get easy blasts or Toshiro the Daimyo because he gives + flips to minion :melees which benefits most of her oni.

Do note that she's a rather big investment if you're just starting out. You're gonna want at least one Jorogumo, Obsidian Oni and Asami's box, and at that point you really only have your summons sorted with your crew consisting of Asami, an Oni, Bettari and her totem. She wants an actual crew besides that. 

2 hours ago, Da Git said:

This is not right if you mean to gain Flicker from Scheme Markers.  You only gain extra Flicker from Corpse or Scrap markers.  If you mean something different, then apologies and I don't see it!

Sorry, I was getting Asami's healing part confused and overlapped.  I used those a lot because everyone gets the (1) Charge from her so healing her on the regular is key.

I think a lot of people, myself included, played Asami wrong initially. Because she's a summoner there is a tendency to spend her AP to get more models on the board, but in reality she's a bit of a generalist.

Getting smacked around by poison and need it gone? Summon an Akanami.

Titania's Scheme marker nonsense getting in the way? Summon a Tengu.

Spied an opportunity to nuke a model and holding a good hand? Summon a Jorogumo.

Getting out-activated? Get some Yokai on the board and balance out the next two turns.

She summons in transient models to achieve specific goals and the trick to playing her well is knowing when to summon, not just what to summon. Asami is no slouch when it comes to fighting. She has Misaki's damage track, with lots of movement tricks and a instant-kill trigger (which in my most recent game one-shot a full health Brewmaster, even at Swill+2). She's fairly self-suffient. 

I think you can absolutely play her as an assassin with support from stuff she may choose to summon in.

• Like 1

On ‎07‎.‎10‎.‎2017 at 3:34 PM, santaclaws01 said:

A way to keep models around is through Orochih Conflux on the Emissary, and a Terracotta Warrior. TCW can put 1,000s Strong on a model, Shadow Emissary can then target that model with the action does half of it's wds+1 to get flicker +1.

Wow that's a really good one.

On 10/6/2017 at 11:36 PM, whodares said:

Their main use however is offensive as you may have noticed from the card. Using 1 Flicker and the built-in mask gives you a double + flip on the damage flip, which is EXTREMELY powerful. The downside is that you can only use this once as your Yokai disappears before his attack finishes if he goes to 0 Flicker due to it.

This is not correct.  Soul Burn says you get the ++ to damage, then you lose 1 Flicker.  Compare that to their Vital Strike trigger were you lose the flicker then take the action.  So they can charge for 1 AP, get + to their two attacks (for charging) then get ++ to damage on each attack.  After the second attack they sacrifice (zero flicker) and may drop a scheme marker (Asami's Heavenly Design upgrade).

I agree Yokai are amazing.

2 hours ago, MrDeathTrout said:

This is not correct.  Soul Burn says you get the ++ to damage, then you lose 1 Flicker.  Compare that to their Vital Strike trigger were you lose the flicker then take the action.  So they can charge for 1 AP, get + to their two attacks (for charging) then get ++ to damage on each attack.  After the second attack they sacrifice (zero flicker) and may drop a scheme marker (Asami's Heavenly Design upgrade).

I agree Yokai are amazing.

You are indeed correct. I've been playing them wrong the entire time :P

They were already powerful summons in my gimped version, they'll become even stronger now.

SSJ Yokai! Should have kept 1 seperate to paint it yellow fml :)

Asami, heavenly design, borrowed time, equality, yasunori, ama recalled, bettari taste, terracotta, lrm, amajaku

Get peaceful waters on someone, more recalled, and smoke. Summon yokai all day, then jorogumo when it makes sense.

Three nasty beaters all able to 1ap charge over or through stuff. Plenty of schemes with yokai. Asami is super strong, very flexible, highly mobile.

I did try a similar list yesterday playing Guard the Stash with eliminate, leave your mark, Quick Murder and Show of Force in the pool. We were playing in an online League where we are restiricted to certain Waves (upto wave 4 in this game)

I took:

Asami - Heavenly Design, Misdirection, Peaceful Waters + 6ss cache (Misdirection as defence against eliminate)

Ama - Recalled training, Equality (as she could be the Quick Murder target)

Bettari - Recalled training, Taste for Flesh

Yin - Smoke Grenades

Terracotta, Shadow Effigy (again; free condition to make targeting Asami harder), Low River Monk

Opponent played Zipp, McTavish, Taxidermist, 2 Gators, Bushwhacker, Akaname (treacherous lil Oni!) couple of Bayous and Earl Burns. 

I took Quick Murder and Show of Force since McTavish had only 1 upgrade (and Taxi had none) so killing McT would ensure that Show of Force couldn't be contested. I was hoping Bettari and Ama could work together to keep Ama up right (+:mask to Melee means Ama would get her healing trigger automatically). didn't pan out that way as Ama wrecked face in the centre of the board, killing McTavish on her Recalled Training turn (as well as obeying a Summoned Stuffed Piglet to blow itself up) and healing up via Equality despite the best efforts of the Akaname. 

Bettari chased after Zipp and Burns who were scoring Leave Your Mark.  She couldn't stop them scoring LYM thanks to the Zip Zapper but did kill Zip in turn 4 thanks to no defence triggers and always cheating the damage flip! Yin guarded the Stash marker and proved too difficult to hit thanks to Terrifying, Mass of Viscera and Smoke grenades (when the plucky gremlins tried to shoot)

My opponent did go for Eliminate so I kept Misdirection on Asami  otherwise my plan would have been to swap it out for another upgrade. As it was, Asami sat on a Stash marker and summoned in 2 Yokai and an Obisidian Oni to tie up McTavish and the Gators who were trying to get to the Stash Marker.

The game ended 10 - 4

• Like 2

I'm glad I'm not the only one who loves Yin with Smoke Grenades. 

I use Asami with Wings of Wing, Heavenly Design, Feign Weakness... using all her actions for summoning and still getting 9" of movement is freeing to me.

• 1 month later...
I have been learning on Shen Long, but thinking about trying something different tomorrow.  My opponent will likely be playing Tara or Von Schill. 

I don't have the Shadow Emissary or Yasinori yet.  YET!  :D

This should give her 7 stones to use for summoning and other fun.  I was thinking of dropping one of the low river monks for a tengu to start with, or another thunder brother.

Declared Faction: TenThunders
Crew Name: asami 1 50ss
Leader: Asami Tanaka - Cache:(3)
   A Heavenly Design 2ss
   Bad Hair Day 1ss
   The Peaceful Waters 0ss
Amanjaku 3ss
Ohaguro Bettari 8ss
   A Taste For Flesh 1ss
   The Fate of Mortals 2ss
Toshiro The Daimyo 9ss
   Command the Graves 1ss
Monk of Low River 4ss
Monk of Low River 4ss
Terracotta Warrior 5ss
Ten Thunders Brother 5ss

Thanks!

14 hours ago, Zorz Muaddieb said:
Declared Faction: TenThunders
Crew Name: asami 1 50ss
Leader: Asami Tanaka - Cache:(3)
   A Heavenly Design 2ss
   Bad Hair Day 1ss
   The Peaceful Waters 0ss
Amanjaku 3ss
Ohaguro Bettari 8ss
   A Taste For Flesh 1ss
   The Fate of Mortals 2ss
Toshiro The Daimyo 9ss
   Command the Graves 1ss
Monk of Low River 4ss
Monk of Low River 4ss
Terracotta Warrior 5ss
Ten Thunders Brother 5ss

I don't think I'd take Toshiro unless you're not planning on summoning with Asami at all, and if you're not, you're probably better off with Misaki instead... you're not going to have the markers to summon off, especially if you're up against lots of Voidlings and those you do get you probably want for Asami. 

Since you're taking a Terracotta, you're probably better off with the Wonder Weasel instead of Amanjako. You're also right in that you probably only need one Monk. 

So with dropping Toshi, a monk and Amanjako gives you 17ss.

I like to start with Weasel and an Obsidian Oni (heals and markers), that leaves you with 7ss for a Brother and 2ss for your cache (you're brave going in with only a 3ss cache too!) 

Looks like he copypasted from the app. It shows your base cache regardless of what you actually took. Or at least did if it hasn't been patched since.

Strat & schemes? I'd rather take 2x LRM than LRM+Tengu to an all comers list. I'd follow your hunch to take a bro instead, you can probably spare the 1ss it costs. Even moreso in an Asami list where you can just summon Tengus.

2 hours ago, Nikodemus said:

Looks like he copypasted from the app. It shows your base cache regardless of what you actually took. Or at least did if it hasn't been patched since.

Strat & schemes? I'd rather take 2x LRM than LRM+Tengu to an all comers list. I'd follow your hunch to take a bro instead, you can probably spare the 1ss it costs. Even moreso in an Asami list where you can just summon Tengus.

You make a good point there!  Something to note for the future...  Totalling up the ss, it comes to 45. 

Another thing, if you're going to keep Toshiro, put the Peaceful Waters on him and something better on Asami (I'd go with Borrowed time, you can put flicker on her from Betty's The Fate of Mortals upgrade and she'll be better in combat (to get more flicker!) which can leave Toshiro to summon... Hmm... This actually sounds pretty good now that I think about it!  I'd still swap Amanjako out for the Weasel though... Those pushes on Asami are so good as is more cards and heals/more pushes when swapping upgrades with the Terracotta are so good!

Just need to be really careful with Betty, she's so squishy. Ama no Jako might almost be better... (plus she's height 3 so gets more mileage out of The Fate of Mortals and has more access to stones if Asami has Borrowed Time)

Played Saturday, vs. Von Schill.  I had a great time despite the app being wonky before we started.  One of the reasons I keep all my cards.  Anyway, I do see exactly what you mean about using Tosh and then using up the corpse and scrap markers I am going to want to extend the flicker condition up.  I had forgotten that when I made the list and when I played I struggled to keep the flicker going strong.  The most memorable part of the game however was during turn five with just hans, Von and a librarian going against me hans shot the Jor. and inflicted the disarmed condition against him, making it so he could not attack anything.   I am going to rework the list so i can play it again.  I'll post up after I do. 

I did use the full 7 soul stones I had given her.  The apps copy paste only showed the base amount.

Game ended in a tie.   It was guard the stash, with claim jump, eliminate the leadership, leave your mark, undercover, and hidden trap.  I picked claim jump and eliminate.  Neither of us scored on eliminate. 

Edited by Zorz Muaddieb
more soul stones.

I like the idea of the wonder weasel, but I was using Jaku to increase the flicker.  I have the weasel, so if I can get the flicker down I may switch him out.  The ashigaru that were summoned proved to be a major thorn in my friends side.  Did I not use enough points?  I have gotten to used to the apps and not calculating the points out myself.

If I play this list again I will switch the peaceful waters over to Tosh, and have him take the center with the monks.   Betty ended up doing really well.  He had to concentrate a lot of fire into her between eat your fill on taelor, and the summoned Oni healing her up.

Thanks again.

• 3 weeks later...