How do you use the Midnight Stalker

Sol_Sorrowsong

Hello all, 

I know there was some chatter during beta about these guys, but since he's officially out next month and I've seen several people with him (least painting him) from GenCon sales I was curious how they played with him, what crews and so forth.  

As an individual model, he seems really interesting but also difficult to know when to use during a round.

Any thoughts from those who've tried him out?  

Yesterday I had my first game against a crew that contained Midnight Stalker. From my understanding he is a flanker, whose purpose is to kill enemy scheme runners, run schemes and mess with your opponents activation timing. My opponent was not able to get any value of him though, because for most of the time he needed to activate other models first (it was flank deployment, so serious bloodshed started already on turn one), and since he had higher model count than me there was rarely any valid target for Stalker.

I find him a very interesting model to use.  He's a great schemer, since he has such insane mobility and a decent attack to pick off other schemers.  But mostly, I think I use him as a threat - since my opponent needs to be wary of him, they kinda have to activate the models near-ish to him to avoid getting ganked by him. And even though I won't go in early cause I don't want to risk losing him, the threat of him on the edge is enough to mess with my opponent.  Likewise, letting him sit on the edge as a threat of force lets me do my otherstuff first, while he's semi-locking down a region, or at least projecting power.

I find I don't actually attack with him that often, since my opponents will run away from him.  He's there to project threat and power, and then do whatever deep scheme option was in the pool. Leave your Mark is his bread and Butter.  Or if Dig your Graves is there, he's also pretty strong, cause he can either drop a marker and then kill something (Fast AP + normal activation) or just prep the yard for your other models

• Like 1

I run Levi and Von Schill.  I mostly run him with Levi. VS has been synergistic 8SS drops than him, though having a super far froward model is nice.  With Levi, he is a ideally a counter balance schemer in my opponent's backline/flank.  This let's him Leave Mark, pick off thier schemers, or serve as a balance to my necropunk whosse also sceming

I used him twice, once in a tournament.  Both times with Levi, as i had a high model count and had activation control.  He has not attacked one thing yet!  One game he was dropping scheme markers and forcing him to activate back line models earlier than he normally would.  The other game was GG18, and he was auto 3 point on the "hold them up".  Would place/walk to engage 2 models, and then double defensive.  I plan to run him with Cat lady as well.  He gets points, not kills.

1 hour ago, keget said:

I used him twice, once in a tournament.  Both times with Levi, as i had a high model count and had activation control.  He has not attacked one thing yet!   He gets points, not kills.

That is exactly as I see him.  The only time I'm sending him in is if its a certain kill on a schemer or if I need to pin something down for an activation.  As a schemer he is wonderful

2 hours ago, Drunken Kung Fu Kid said:

Does he have dont mind me? If not id try to trinket him up with the emissary to be sololy schemerunning in their backfield while being basicly immune to all non henchmen and non masters.

He seems like the perfect target for the pretty floral bonnet actually. Plus I bet it looks pretty nice on top of his stove pipe.

• Like 2

Just ran him across a 3 game tournament.  Found him to be very strong.  Ignoring the pathetic round 2 game I played, round 1 & 3 he DID WORK. Round 1 he basically threatened Leave your Mark, and then bounced around hitting things to tie down dirty Arcanist models and score Show of Force (put Oathkeeper on him - for Show of Force).  He reliably tossed out damage (Fast AP spent on his "You Scared of that Dandy Hatter" to get +2 built in Rams, to go min 4, and dealt solid damage to The Captain and Mouse.  Tied up models and provided tons of threat range.  Also threatened counter schemer in the Ice Dancer.

Round 3 I faced the Tara Void Spam list.  It was Squatter's Rights to I had him on a marker turn 1.  I then flipped the marker turn 2, and engaged 2 of my opponent's 6 Void Wretches.  He then basically just sat and tied up the models to prevent them from doing anything.  And since I can always heal/place him at the beginning of the Round, his threat prevent my opponent from doing anything on that side of the board, locking in the Strat for me and forcing him to go towards the center and otherside of the board, into my Heavies (yea for Ashes 'n Dust and Peacekeeper).

All in all, fun times.

That's really where I see myself playing him.  Around the opponent's side for fast and to pick off support models if they aren't careful.  We've been playing more GG18 beta games lately and Hold their forces seems pretty great for him.  I can't imagine running against this guy AND A&D + Peacekeeper.  Ouch!