COLLODI, WHAT ARE HIS MUST HAVES FOR THIS CREW

Rayzthedead

HELLO EVERY ONE, I SEE THERE IS A 2014 TACTICA ON COLLODI ABOVE, BUT FOR 2017 WHAT ARE MY MUST HAVES WITH THE PUPPETMASTER?

ALSO WHEN IT COMES TO THE EFFIGIES LETS BE HONEST WHAT ONES DO I NEED? AS FAR AS I CAN TELL BRUTAL, ARCANE AND HODGEPODGE ARE SOLID WITH HIM. 

I PERSONALLY AM WANTING TO KEEP A THEME WITH HIM AND RUN ALL THE PUPPETS, I ALSO AM SNAGGING A BECKONER AS WELL.

THANKS FOR YOUR INPUT :)

Brutal, Arcane and Hodgepodge are definitely the best three for most uses, though I often will limit to just the first two.

Coryphee aren't bad, but remember they can't dance together in Neverborn, so no Duet. Definitely limits their usefulness.

Bunraku are interesting. I've had bad luck when testing them (Misaki killed both before they did anything but walk last game), but on paper they are solid.

Stitched Together are pretty amazing.

New Wave 5 puppet henchmen will be good, but she's not released yet (even at GenCon, so it'll likely be a while)

Stitched, widow weaver, banraku, arcane effigy, brutal effigy, hodgepodge effigy, shadow effigy and mannequin.

Additional or maybes:

coryphee, performer (ironically fluffier than beckoner due to story where he makes his own coryphee/mannequin) teddy.

That's the full range of models I've used with him but I also have the carrion effigy and lucky effigy just encase (I think they've seen a table maybe once each).

You'll probably have people ignore the fact you stated you want to play thematically and suggest hiring all sorts, I'll just state here that you can stick to theme or fluff with Collodi and be highly effective.

The only players that have drawn or won against my Collodi have been some of the best players in my small national meta.

So don't feel pressured to change your approach to crew building, just focus on learning to use each asset effectively.

• Like 1

The tactica does have advice all the way up to wave five, but it's a long read.

As others have said there are very few things thst doesn't work with collodi. I sometimes even throw in a wicked doll to give the (0) action to something (usually a stitched or illuminated) that I plan on using my will on.

Bunraku and beckoner are both very nice for personal puppet, as they can pull whatever is hurting collodi away from him.

Hey big thanks every one! I am really looking forward to working on this crew. I got inspired when I saw the Hinamatsu art, so I am converting my crew into a Japanese puppet show... plus ill be a dirty nerd and copy a bit of the "ninja puppets" off of Naruto. Ill post picts when this happens :)

So I ordered up:
Collodi box set
Bunraku
brutal, arcane,  hodgepodge, shadow effigy
widow weaver
and I own a beckoner and stitched. 
I also hear ppl talk about Laz with Collodi? is this a good tech or just cute?

1 hour ago, Rayzthedead said:

I got inspired when I saw the Hinamatsu art

Same. I haven't played my Collodi crew for about a year, but I love this art. I think Hinamatsu is going to inspire me to bring the puppets out of retirement. 

I think you've already got what you need for a solid crew, but I do recommend the Coryphee, I nearly always take one in a Collodi crew + they look awesome :)

Lazarus gives collodi a fifth ap and ranged blasts, I haven't tried it myself as I refuse to buy Lazarus until a better sculpt comes out.I think it sounds good, if you would use Lazarus anyway, otherwise it's a hefty 11 stones, just to give one more ap. Problem is that nothing in your crew really does anything for Lazarus (collodi can force people to clump up, but that's about it) and except for retributions eye, we don't have any good upgrades for him either.

He is still good barebones though.

If I were you I would look at the emissary and three changelings for him.

On 07/10/2017 at 8:34 AM, Rayzthedead said:

I also hear ppl talk about Laz with Collodi? is this a good tech or just cute?

He's fine, it's just that most Collodi crews have way better options for the same SS cost. Like two marrionettes and an effigy. As far as effigies go, you're going to end up wahting them all, as they all have interesting uses in different situations. Carrion against ressers, shadow against anything that shoots, and lucky if you're running the infamous stitched together on three/four cards combo.

Collodi actually brings a lot to Lazarus. Or, more accurately, Coryphee do (as Lazarus can Assimilate Dance Partner), and Marionettes add a few extra pushes to get Lazarus out of engagement that keep him doing what he needs to do despite an enemy minion suicide running to engage him. And sometimes, especially in Interference, Lazarus just adds so much ranged threat to Collodi that he didn't have before. Lazarus 12.5" from one edge of the board, Collodi 10" from the other side of him makes for a roughly 35" line of threat range, which makes it very hard to slip past the crew. For me, though, it's usually Laz or the Mysterious Emissary (generic conflux), just because otherwise I don't have enough room for good, buffable minions, and Mysterious Emissary is often just a better model that brings more to the table.

On topic, if you wanted to do Collodi on a budget, I would just grab a Stitched Together box and a Brutal Effigy and that would be a very solid starting point.

Collodi (Fated, Strum, Wings of Darkness, 5 Cache)
4 Marionettes 12SS
Vasilisa (Friend to Talk To) 11SS
Brutal Effigy 4SS
3 Stitched Together 18SS

Standard turn would be Vasilisa walks, brings a Stitched 6" up the table, 0 actions to walk another Stitched 4" up, then takes a second walk to deliver that upfield. Marionette runs up and drops a scheme marker to draw her back. Marionettes attack Collodi a few times to push him upfield, Collodi might spend 1 AP having Vasilisa walk up a third Stitched, focuses to give the all stitched Focus for one attack on their turn (either Gamble to minimize the risk of killing yourself, or Game of Chance so the Stitched can Gamble with the second AP and have the assurance of a high card to cheat in), and then has 2-3 AP to just have the Stitched Gamble at +flips or hamstring enemy beaters with Pull the Strings.

From there, I'd find some good utility puppets (Coryphee, maybe Bunraku), then Lazarus after Coryphee, then Mysterious Emissary and Changelings, then various other wants (Grootslang, Performer/Marionette package, Illuminated/Beckoners, whatever).

7 hours ago, Math Mathonwy said:

Have you had luck with that? It seems fine in theory but somewhat clumsy in practice?

Alas, if only I had. Still, the carrion effigy gives a useful form of healing if you're going with the obey heavy Collodi, as both brutal and lucky rely on you flipping cards/attacking.

4 hours ago, FableWright said:

Standard turn would be Vasilisa walks, brings a Stitched 6" up the table, 0 actions to walk another Stitched 4" up, then takes a second walk to deliver that upfield. Marionette runs up and drops a scheme marker to draw her back. Marionettes attack Collodi a few times to push him upfield, Collodi might spend 1 AP having Vasilisa walk up a third Stitched, focuses to give the all stitched Focus for one attack on their turn (either Gamble to minimize the risk of killing yourself, or Game of Chance so the Stitched can Gamble with the second AP and have the assurance of a high card to cheat in), and then has 2-3 AP to just have the Stitched Gamble at +flips or hamstring enemy beaters with Pull the Strings.

From there, I'd find some good utility puppets (Coryphee, maybe Bunraku), then Lazarus after Coryphee, then Mysterious Emissary and Changelings, then various other wants (Grootslang, Performer/Marionette package, Illuminated/Beckoners, whatever).

I peronally prefer using fewer stitched together and obeying them lots with collodi and a wicked doll.

I think Collodi is flexible enough that you can play almost any crew with it to tolerable success.  Just take the Brutal Effigy and use them as a tag team to control whatever will be most annoying for the other player, then use the rest of your crew to take advantage of that control in order to win you the game (easier to write than to achieve, of course).

I will admit that I prefer to mix up Puppets and non-Puppets in my Collodi crews.  But there are relatively few Puppets in the game so you can probably do fine by just picking them all up and then mixing and matching to your heart's content.  Don't go wild with the Effigies; Brutal is my favourite (I almost always use it with Collodi) and I like the Arcane too if I'm expecting a lot of conditions.  The rest are good pieces in their own right but there is a limit to how many scheme runners you'll want.

I did use a mainly-Puppet crew at an event at the start of the year (link): Collodi (Strum The Threads, Fated, Threads Of Fate), Arcane Effigy, Brutal Effigy, Lazarus, Barbaros, 2 Bunraku, Stitched Together.  You could now replace Barbaros with Hinamatsu to complete the theme.  Lazarus isn't strictly a Puppet of course but does bring some interesting tech to a Collodi crew and I consider him to be worth it.

• Like 1

Using primordial instead of marionettes is also viable. 

Marionettes are really good for 3 stones, but if you only plan on taking one or two then an effigy and primordial is the same price and more effective.

I like using a beckoner or bunraku as my personal puppet to pull collodi away if he gets into trouble.

@MrBrasidas045 that is very much a question of preference. I don't own Lazarus as I refuse to play with an ugly model, but generally people tend to favour one or the other based on what they need them to do, rather than one being better than the other.

@Azkral I use it quite often, it can be devastating with collodi attacking 4 times at plus 2 on attack and plus 3 on damage. Also he only needs a few effigys and/or marionettes to work, so you can spend the rest on big beaters.

Generally I still find fated is better (at least for my play style) but props is very much viable. Especially if you have a hungry land marker down or a couple of sorrows (not optimal, but quite fun), then his damage goes through the roof.

4 hours ago, Angelshard said:

@MrBrasidas045 that is very much a question of preference. I don't own Lazarus as I refuse to play with an ugly model, but generally people tend to favour one or the other based on what they need them to do, rather than one being better than the other.

If your neck of the woods is OK with proxies, this is absolutely perfect for a Collodi Lazarus - much more of a patch-work construct and even has a puppet:

big-brother.jpg

Big Brother by Infamy Miniatures.

I like Laz with Bag of Props Collodi.

• Like 2