Through the Breach FAQ and Errata

Mason

8 hours ago, Steamtastic Vagabond said:

These characters are all subordinate characters, so they’re effectively treated as Fated, whose owner flips cards for them.

Not Exactly, they only flip cards on their activation, otherwise they use the Rank Value like Fatemaster Characters.  Per page 310 under the Subordinate Characters in Combat Rules, the last paragraph.  "Outside of its turn, the subordinate character uses its Rank Value in place of card flips, just like every other Fatemaster character."

Personally I would use the normal value *or at least the ones that come up the most* for their status, IE 4 for a Peon, 5 for a minion and a 7 for an enforcer.

23 hours ago, GamerCr0w said:

I noticed that Cobbled, Amalgam and Totem are missing rank values.(Into the Steam pages 79 and 103)
Is this intentional or has there been a mishap since most of the other NPCs have ranks?

Treat them as Minion (5). Remember that they flip cards like Fated characters when they receive the (1) Order action.

• 2 months later...

In regards to creating manifested powers, examples of manifested powers seem to use Magia and immuto that are not in the book. The book says manifested powers can be created using 1 or 2 magia and up to 4 immuto (but may need adjustments if they prove unbalanced)

Example: Marcelline's "Walk It Off" Manifested Power allows her to heal 1 damage every time she takes a Walk Action during Dramatic Time.

-  there is no Activate when you take walk or require action immuto. 

Example: A lawyer steals Briana Delaney's soul using a complicated contract. After her friends find the contract and burn it, she develops the "Singed Soul" Manifested Power, allowing each Pugilism attack she makes to also give her target the Burning +1 Condition. 

- this is one does use the book 

Example: Klemens Buckley is brutally attacked by a Resurrectionist who throws one soul-shredding spell after another at him. After defeating the necromancer, Klements develops the "One Foot in the Grave" Manifested Power that gives him the Incorporeal ability... but only when he's reduced to below 0 Wounds.

- no incorporeal,  or active when reduced to 0.  You could say it's a Elemental engulf with spirit immuto (except spirit says the spell ignores armor and hard to wound not incorporeal status effect) with a delay till 0 hp trigger (specific predetermined conditions) but it would be easier to cast (if it's a spell) and more powerful with no delay  so you just are incorporeal.   Can immuto be converted from positive to negative or negative to positive (instead of cuasing burning to target and being harder to cast can the caster suffer burning to make it easier to cast? Or instead of adding a suit to the flip for a higher tn yo cast, can you require an additional suit to cast for a lower tn)

Example: Jessup Cormwell nearly dies in an explosion that sends him careening into the sewers beneath the city. He's found by Albus Von Schtook, who removes Jessup's damaged heart and replaces it with a mechanical prosthetic. After trying (and failing) to recover his real heart, Jessup embraces his new fate and develops the "Heart of Steel" Manifested Power that makes him immune to Critical Hits to his chest. The Fatemaster decides this might not come up that often and suggests that he also gain a Defensive Trigger that uses a Ram (the Suit representing the "Chest" location) and allows him to reduce any damage he suffers from a successful attack by 2 points, to a minimum of 

- so the second half is doable  , add suit, delayed trigger, reduce damage 2x. But theres no immunity to X mafia or immuto .  You can increase resistance by 1 (or up to 4x in manifested power) but that's not immune from anything. Also theres no cuase critical or Critical effects immuto. Are these options missing from the add damage and damage reduction immuto tables?

On 6/5/2018 at 9:14 PM, Frostey said:

In regards to creating manifested powers, examples of manifested powers seem to use Magia and immuto that are not in the book. The book says manifested powers can be created using 1 or 2 magia and up to 4 immuto (but may need adjustments if they prove unbalanced)

Example: Marcelline's "Walk It Off" Manifested Power allows her to heal 1 damage every time she takes a Walk Action during Dramatic Time.

-  there is no Activate when you take walk or require action immuto. 

Example: A lawyer steals Briana Delaney's soul using a complicated contract. After her friends find the contract and burn it, she develops the "Singed Soul" Manifested Power, allowing each Pugilism attack she makes to also give her target the Burning +1 Condition. 

- this is one does use the book 

Example: Klemens Buckley is brutally attacked by a Resurrectionist who throws one soul-shredding spell after another at him. After defeating the necromancer, Klements develops the "One Foot in the Grave" Manifested Power that gives him the Incorporeal ability... but only when he's reduced to below 0 Wounds.

- no incorporeal,  or active when reduced to 0.  You could say it's a Elemental engulf with spirit immuto (except spirit says the spell ignores armor and hard to wound not incorporeal status effect) with a delay till 0 hp trigger (specific predetermined conditions) but it would be easier to cast (if it's a spell) and more powerful with no delay  so you just are incorporeal.   Can immuto be converted from positive to negative or negative to positive (instead of cuasing burning to target and being harder to cast can the caster suffer burning to make it easier to cast? Or instead of adding a suit to the flip for a higher tn yo cast, can you require an additional suit to cast for a lower tn)

Example: Jessup Cormwell nearly dies in an explosion that sends him careening into the sewers beneath the city. He's found by Albus Von Schtook, who removes Jessup's damaged heart and replaces it with a mechanical prosthetic. After trying (and failing) to recover his real heart, Jessup embraces his new fate and develops the "Heart of Steel" Manifested Power that makes him immune to Critical Hits to his chest. The Fatemaster decides this might not come up that often and suggests that he also gain a Defensive Trigger that uses a Ram (the Suit representing the "Chest" location) and allows him to reduce any damage he suffers from a successful attack by 2 points, to a minimum of 

- so the second half is doable  , add suit, delayed trigger, reduce damage 2x. But theres no immunity to X mafia or immuto .  You can increase resistance by 1 (or up to 4x in manifested power) but that's not immune from anything. Also theres no cuase critical or Critical effects immuto. Are these options missing from the add damage and damage reduction immuto tables?

I think you're confusing Ability Manifested Powers with Spell-like Manifested Powers.

In a Spell-like Manifested Power, you choose magias and immutos and try to make a "Spell" that doesn't use any Grimoire.

In an Ability Manifested Power, you try to come up with an ability you would like your character to have, think of it more as Pursuit or General Talents.

You can actually steal Pursuit Talents from a different pursuit that you don't have any ranks in, if you want your Drudge to have the Relentless Talent from the Criminal, but it doesn't fit in well with your character to go down all the steps in the Criminal Pursuit.

But you might as well make something up from scratch, I made a character that had a trigger on throwing "(M) Made you Look: After failing, discard a card to immediately make another attack with + to the attack flip." Nowhere in the book can you make that ability, but it worked with the theme of the character, as he relied very heavily on tricking people.

All the examples you gave are examples of Ability Manifested Powers, and as such, they do not follow the Magia/Immuto creation.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Rifle & Shotgun ranges:

The "Rifle" special rule (p238) says the range of the rifle is increased by +10 for each Plus Flip it gains from Focused (the rule used to be "multiplied by 10" for each Plus Flip (Into The Steam)).

The "Shot Studies" Talent (p220) says that if the character is Focused, and firing a shotgun loaded with slug ammo, then "she multiplies the range of the shotgun by x10".

Is the Shot Studies talent also really be meant to say "she increases the range of the shotgun by +10", the same way the updated Rifle rule does? Otherwise it's possible to get solid slug ammo (heavy & non-aerodynamic) going 90-100 yards, while a focused rifle can only reach 44 yards max. (Howles Pattern 1874 + 2*10 from two Focused Actions due to being Fast).

• Agree 1

• 5 months later...

On 3/25/2018 at 2:28 PM, Steamtastic Vagabond said:

These characters are all subordinate characters, so they’re effectively treated as Fated, whose owner flips cards for them.

Core states this under "Subordinate Characters":

Outside of its turn, the subordinate character uses its Rank Value in place of card flips, just like every other Fatemaster character. 

This would imply Cobbled, Amalgam and Totem need a rank value.

Additionally, Retainer states that the subordinate character increases its rank to Enforcer and then Henchman. I'm assuming this is the lowest value possible (7, then 9). Or does it leave the rank value alone and only change the classification?

18 minutes ago, oadrian said:

Is the implication that all subordinates flip as a Minion (5), not just the ones listed? That's a pretty big change and the monsters have a rank, just not a rank value. Are they saying Enforcers also flip as a Minion (5) and Peons also flip as a Minion (5)?

If you need a rank value for Cobbled, Amalgam, or Totem subordinate characters, they're supposed to be Minion(5).  Just remember that you only use that rank value when they're not taking their turn.  During their turn (which they only get due to Command), you use cards instead of the rank value.

For Retainer, Enforcer(7) and Henchman(9) is probably a safe bet.  But same note, those numbers only matter when those subordinate characters aren't taking their turn.  

17 hours ago, solkan said:

If you need a rank value for Cobbled, Amalgam, or Totem subordinate characters, they're supposed to be Minion(5).  Just remember that you only use that rank value when they're not taking their turn.  During their turn (which they only get due to Command), you use cards instead of the rank value.

For Retainer, Enforcer(7) and Henchman(9) is probably a safe bet.  But same note, those numbers only matter when those subordinate characters aren't taking their turn.  

My point was that Totem is a Peon, but without a number, and that Amalgam is an Enforcer without a number. They have ranks, but not rank values. So my question was given that we're told to have the Totem (a Peon) and the Amalgam (an Enforcer), it's unclear what the actual rule is. Are we changing the Totem and Amalgam ranks to Minion (5) or do subordinates always flip as Minion (5)?

• 7 months later...

I need an assist on rule application of the academic’s Know-It-All talent.

1. Replacing the failed skill with an academic skill does it only use the ranks of the academic skill or does it use the skill’s AV?

2. If I’m using Mathematics to replace a Sorcery skill check to cast a spell, is the duel now academic so I can use my Book Smarts talent or is it still a magic duel?

• 2 months later...
On 10/30/2017 at 12:08 AM, Mercutiorty said:

One that comes to mind is the Demolitionist Advanced Pursuit in Into the Steam. In the Crafting Skills in the new Core Rules, it gives the same building details as the first talent you gain taking the Advanced Pursuit. If the new rules let most anyone build the explosives, should the talent have a replacement?

Hey, just re-quoting and reasking this as I do have a player considering it.

• 4 weeks later...

About Magical Skills.

Magical Skills related to 2 aspects.

How calculate AV for casting spells?

How calculate AV for ordinary Magical Skills check?

My opinion casting spell AV = Magical Skills + Aspect wich in the discription of Magia

Which Aspect we shoud use when made ordinary check?

Because my player think AV always = Magical Skills + Aspeck which he just choose, and for casting spells he add to this AV Aspect wich in the discription of Magia.

On 12/13/2019 at 3:22 AM, goddog said:

About Magical Skills.

Magical Skills related to 2 aspects.

How calculate AV for casting spells?

How calculate AV for ordinary Magical Skills check?

My opinion casting spell AV = Magical Skills + Aspect wich in the discription of Magia

Which Aspect we shoud use when made ordinary check?

Because my player think AV always = Magical Skills + Aspeck which he just choose, and for casting spells he add to this AV Aspect wich in the discription of Magia.

What are you making a magical skill check for?

Like it says on page 169, the associated aspects are what usually get used for a skill, but there are exceptions.  If you look at the skill chart on page 171, the magical skills each have one or two aspects associated with them.

For instance, if you’re trying to figure out an academic paper on spellcasting, Intellect may make more sense for the skill check, while reproducing the results described in the paper may be just regular spellcasting checks.  Or falsifying a spellcasting description to appear correct but contain incorrect facts could be Cunning+spellcasting.  

So, again, what are you trying to make a “regular skill check” using a spellcasting skill to do?

18 hours ago, solkan said:

What are you making a magical skill check for?

Like it says on page 169, the associated aspects are what usually get used for a skill, but there are exceptions.  If you look at the skill chart on page 171, the magical skills each have one or two aspects associated with them.

For instance, if you’re trying to figure out an academic paper on spellcasting, Intellect may make more sense for the skill check, while reproducing the results described in the paper may be just regular spellcasting checks.  Or falsifying a spellcasting description to appear correct but contain incorrect facts could be Cunning+spellcasting.  

So, again, what are you trying to make a “regular skill check” using a spellcasting skill to do?

For example, character see strange runes. Its Necromancy related. To understand that need Necromancy check. Which Aspect we shoud use?
But I get your answer, I understand how I will do next time.
Thnx.

• 1 year later...

Figured I'd also post this here since this is the thread for questions.

So I'm a bit confused on the process for creating a Headliner Fated in From Nightmares.  The rules say to just make a twist deck for them.  From my understanding, as it's written you just take an existing puppet and then apply the Headliner pursuit to it and then they function as a player as normal.  Would you still do a tarot for them so they'd have destiny steps?  Or do they just not have a destiny at all?

17 minutes ago, TheFaceless6 said:

Would you still do a tarot for them so they'd have destiny steps?  Or do they just not have a destiny at all?

Yes- Fated playing as Puppets will need their own Twist Deck to make flips and actually play the game (see Step 14 of the Core rules for how to do this). While a Destiny isn't necessary, players should feel free to flip cards from the main deck and assign those to their Mind, Body, Root, and Endeavor Destiny Steps; they just wouldn't gain any Aspect changes or Skills from those steps.

They also exchange the "Just a Bit of Consciousness" Talent (pg. 117 in From Nightmares) for the "I Am Real" Talent on pg. 119, which gives some more information about how to make Fated Puppet characters.

• 10 months later...

Disengaging Strikes
The Core Rule book on disengaging strikes (pg298):
"To make a disengaging strike, a character makes a single melee attack against the character attempting to leave her engagement range. If this attack hits, it deals no damage, but the target's Walk or Run action is canceled and the AP spent on it is lost."

It is not stated how many disengaging strikes a character may make per round. Is this really intended to be unlimited?
That would seem rather unreasonable from both immersion and mechanical-power.

A question on magical trigger, Core Rule Book pg 205:

Sorcery: (t) Bright Flash: After successfully casting a Spell or Manifested Power, all characters within p1 of the target must succeed on a TN 10 Centering Duel or gain the Blind Condition until the end of the round.

Pulses and Auras,Core Rule Book pg 299:

Pulses (represented by the p symbol) are instantaneous effects that radiate out from a certain point. Pulses centered on a character do not affect that character (but will affect everything around them).

From reading these it appears that the Bright Flash will not affect the target of the spell. This makes sense for a caster-targeted nova but not for a targeted attack. E.g. an elemental projectile striking a target and activating this trigger will effect those around it but not the target of the spell.

This Is this intended? 

16 hours ago, tomc said:

Disengaging Strikes
The Core Rule book on disengaging strikes (pg298):
"To make a disengaging strike, a character makes a single melee attack against the character attempting to leave her engagement range. If this attack hits, it deals no damage, but the target's Walk or Run action is canceled and the AP spent on it is lost."

It is not stated how many disengaging strikes a character may make per round. Is this really intended to be unlimited?
That would seem rather unreasonable from both immersion and mechanical-power

You aren't really doing actions, you're stopping opponents doing actions. I can't say for certain on ttb, but I would imagine you get to do one every time someone tries to leave your engagement. I think of it more as you look dangerous enough that they decided not to risk running rather than you actually doing something.

5 hours ago, tomc said:

Yes, it completely is meant to be unlimited.  As in, the combat rules in TTB are based on the game mechanics in M2E.

Do note, in case it wasn't clear, that the only effect of the disengaging strike is to prevent the character leaving engagement.  It's only characters that have the Wicked ability that end up with essentially attacks of opportunity.

5 hours ago, tomc said:

That would seem rather unreasonable from both immersion and mechanical-power.

I'm really surprised that you'd feel this way.  Frankly, my impression is that games where attempting to leave a melee provoke free attacks are much more common than the alternative.  Attack of opportunity mechanics are pretty common in games.

5 hours ago, tomc said:

A question on magical trigger, Core Rule Book pg 205:

Sorcery: (t) Bright Flash: After successfully casting a Spell or Manifested Power, all characters within p1 of the target must succeed on a TN 10 Centering Duel or gain the Blind Condition until the end of the round.

Pulses and Auras,Core Rule Book pg 299:

Pulses (represented by the p symbol) are instantaneous effects that radiate out from a certain point. Pulses centered on a character do not affect that character (but will affect everything around them).

From reading these it appears that the Bright Flash will not affect the target of the spell. This makes sense for a caster-targeted nova but not for a targeted attack. E.g. an elemental projectile striking a target and activating this trigger will effect those around it but not the target of the spell.

This Is this intended? 

Bright Flash isn't "I shoot an elemental projectile at the target and the projectile explodes in a flash of light before it hits the target", it's "The target of the spell emits a bright flash of light".

Edit:

You're trying to use a screwdriver as a hammer, and asking whether it's working as intended.  The various triggers, schools of magic, and other effects don't always fit all of the ideas you have for a spell.

So, yeah, if you're looking for the specific effect 'I want to try to blind the target and stuff around it', you're going to have to look somewhere else.  You should be able to find that effect in an immuto, though.

Thanks for the replies!

Good to know my interpretation was correct in both cases, even if my expectations don't quite match up with reality!

On the point of Disengaging Strikes, I come from a Pathfinder/DnD background and have no experience of M2E. In most d20 systems I've played or read, the ability to make an unlimited number of attacks of opportunity that root the target but deal no damage would be incredibly powerful. Not from the damage dealt but because it allows someone with good reach to lock down a large area of the battlefield.

In TTB terms, a Scrapper with a spear can pin a huge number of enemies in place (and deal massive damage while doing so). On the other side of things, a large boss creature with a big melee reach is very hard to get away from, even if a whole party tries to flee together.

Thank you for clarifying what actually happens with the Bright Flash. The target itself glowing makes much more sense than then projectile exploding when it comes to matching expectations to the rules. I guess my budding sorcerer will either need to invest in some nova spells or petition the GM to change his trigger choice!

2 hours ago, tomc said:

Thanks for the replies!

Good to know my interpretation was correct in both cases, even if my expectations don't quite match up with reality!

On the point of Disengaging Strikes, I come from a Pathfinder/DnD background and have no experience of M2E. In most d20 systems I've played or read, the ability to make an unlimited number of attacks of opportunity that root the target but deal no damage would be incredibly powerful. Not from the damage dealt but because it allows someone with good reach to lock down a large area of the battlefield.

In TTB terms, a Scrapper with a spear can pin a huge number of enemies in place (and deal massive damage while doing so). On the other side of things, a large boss creature with a big melee reach is very hard to get away from, even if a whole party tries to flee together

I think the general outcome of this method is that unless you really need to escape you don't bother trying. You probably just chose to attack most of the time, which makes combat end quicker. ( at least that's how it played out in malifaux, it may not always have the same in ttb, because there is a much greater range of reasons for combat. )

• 1 month later...

Hi Folks,

Thank you for all of your help last time. Here's another pedantic question:

How long do older spells last?

Magia published in the older TTB books (Into the Steam, Under Quarantine and Into the Bayou) list certain short duration magias' durations in “turns”.

Since the 2nd edition Core Rule Book, all similar short duration magia have their durations listed in “rounds”. 

Additionally, in the current edition, turns and rounds have distinct meanings and there are multiple "turns" within a single "round". I don’t have access to the 1st Edition Almanacs to check if this used to be the case.

The only directly reprinted spell I could find is “Summon Gamin”.  
Older: Into the Steam pg 196 - duration “3 turns”
Updated: Core Rule Book pg 271 - duration “3 rounds” 

Should magia published in the older books such as “Berserk Fury” (Under Quarantine pg 156), “Mudform” (Into the Bayou pg 150), “Improved Fate” (Into the Steam pg 197), etc.,  now have their durations interpreted as “rounds”?

And following on…
Should magia like these be subject to the "Increase Duration" immuto (Core Rule book pg 275)?