Through the Breach FAQ and Errata

Mason

• Mason pinned this topic

Two things that spring to mind.

First, when using a piece of armor with deflecting it gives you a value of armor based on the level of Defensive but the Armor ability is capped at +3 and for each point lowers your defense.  Does that mean going defensive with this sort of armor lowers your Defense while defensive?

Second, on the Oxford Method.  It says that the character's spells but not manifested powers have their final AP cost increased.  But in the second paragraph it says that when a character cast a spell or manifested power they get to add a suit of their choice to the final total.  So does this mean that you get the benefit of the Oxford Method but not the weakness of this magic theory when it comes to manifested powers.  This seemed kind of off considering the other theories seemed more balanced in the give and take aspect.

12 hours ago, EnternalVoid said:

Two things that spring to mind.

First, when using a piece of armor with deflecting it gives you a value of armor based on the level of Defensive but the Armor ability is capped at +3 and for each point lowers your defense.  Does that mean going defensive with this sort of armor lowers your Defense while defensive?

The Deflecting special rule should not lower the character's Defense.

I'll add that to the list for the next update in a few months.

12 hours ago, EnternalVoid said:

Second, on the Oxford Method.  It says that the character's spells but not manifested powers have their final AP cost increased.  But in the second paragraph it says that when a character cast a spell or manifested power they get to add a suit of their choice to the final total.  So does this mean that you get the benefit of the Oxford Method but not the weakness of this magic theory when it comes to manifested powers.

That is correct. The abilities are separate.

The Oxford Method is a very good Magical Theory for those who intend to rely upon Manifested Powers instead of Spells.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Another one for you Mason

The Rail Driver, so it is basically a bulky rivet gun.  The "Thrown" aspect of the weapon is basically shooting the rail nails.  But wouldn't it be shooting those every time used so it shouldn't it have a Capacity and reload like a range weapon? I mean the thin has to have rail nails to operate.  *Even if it is a Pneumatic and Throwing for the skill you use*

Also if you do have to get the ammo for this thing would it be special rounds?  I mean I doubt they would be hard to get your hands on, just would it be a different cost then bullets?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

One that comes to mind is the Demolitionist Advanced Pursuit in Into the Steam. In the Crafting Skills in the new Core Rules, it gives the same building details as the first talent you gain taking the Advanced Pursuit. If the new rules let most anyone build the explosives, should the talent have a replacement?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
11 hours ago, EagerPayload said:

If a construct (ht 3 df 3 Armour +2) gets armour training do they increase their defense?

If the Construct is a Fated character (i.e., an Invested), then no. The Defense values of Invested is fixed, depending upon their chassis, and generally doesn't change.

If the Construct is a subordinate construct, I don't believe that there is a way to give them General Talents.

Just now, Steamtastic Vagabond said:

A fate master creates a Construct with Anror Training and the Fated find a way to tame it maybe? 

I think that would be perfectly fine, but that's certainly an exception to the rule.  I'd probably allow the General Talent to function in that instance (cause, if you didn't want it to function, the Fatemaster could just... not give the talent to the construct).

• 3 weeks later...

Got a question for you Mason on Fist Loaded.

Our group questioned how it works when you have a positive and a negative going into the to wound part.  For example lets say you Focused and attacked a model with hard to wound.  Do the :+fate and :-fate cancel out first then Fist Loaded kicks in *So strait flip* or does Fist Loaded cancel out the :-fate from hard to wound then you apply the :+fate (So would be two cards pick what you want)?  Pugilism and Martial arts could already do a lot of damage so I was more incline that you do the positive to negative then fist loaded but wanted to check.

7 hours ago, Steamtastic Vagabond said:

Focused and fistload collectively provide :+fate:+fate, and Hard to Wound :-fate. Assuming that accuracy doesn’t cause any more :+fate or :-fate to appear, you’re left with :+fate.

Fistloaded does not provide a :+fate, It cancels a :-fate

"Fistload: Pugilism and Martial Arts attacks made with this weapon ignore one :-fate on the Damage Flip"

So the question is, when does Fistload trigger, does it happen before your modifiers cancel out during the accuracy modifier phase or does it happen during or before the Flip Card phase.  Knowing when it triggers will result in different results in several cases.

1 hour ago, EnternalVoid said:

Fistloaded does not provide a :+fate, It cancels a :-fate

"Fistload: Pugilism and Martial Arts attacks made with this weapon ignore one :-fate on the Damage Flip"

So the question is, when does Fistload trigger, does it happen before your modifiers cancel out during the accuracy modifier phase or does it happen during or before the Flip Card phase.  Knowing when it triggers will result in different results in several cases.

What "accuracy modifier phase" and "Flip Card" phase?  Edit:  Curse the book for lacking an index, I found those steps.  But, still...

Fistload says you get to ignore one :-fate on the damage flip.  If that :-fate canceled out a :+fate you've hardly managed to ignore it.  :mellow:  So it has to be applied in the Determine Accuracy modifiers step, since you know the final modifier at the end of that step.

2 hours ago, solkan said:

What "accuracy modifier phase" and "Flip Card" phase?  Edit:  Curse the book for lacking an index, I found those steps.  But, still...

Fistload says you get to ignore one :-fate on the damage flip.  If that :-fate canceled out a :+fate you've hardly managed to ignore it.  :mellow:  So it has to be applied in the Determine Accuracy modifiers step, since you know the final modifier at the end of that step.

I think what is being asked is if you have Fistload and Brutal on the same weapon which would apply first?  In one instance, you get a neutral and the other a positive twist.

On 2/9/2018 at 8:51 PM, EnternalVoid said:

Our group questioned how it works when you have a positive and a negative going into the to wound part.  For example lets say you Focused and attacked a model with hard to wound.  Do the :+fate and :-fate cancel out first then Fist Loaded kicks in *So strait flip* or does Fist Loaded cancel out the :-fate from hard to wound then you apply the :+fate (So would be two cards pick what you want)?  Pugilism and Martial arts could already do a lot of damage so I was more incline that you do the positive to negative then fist loaded but wanted to check.

Calculate all of your :+fate and :-fate modifiers (cancelling each out as appropriate).

If, after doing so, you have any :-fate modifiers, Fistload allows you to ignore one.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/2/2018 at 5:44 AM, Spyder Revenant said:

Can an Invested character build themselves a new body and is there a way to improve already existing constructs?

Invested characters have Talents in Into the Steam that they can use to modify their bodies, and per the Core Rules, they can attach replace their limbs with pneumatic prosthetics, but they ignore any bonuses they would gain from the limb or any of its augments (for them, it's just a normal limb).

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, GamerCr0w said:

I noticed that Cobbled, Amalgam and Totem are missing rank values.(Into the Steam pages 79 and 103)
Is this intentional or has there been a mishap since most of the other NPCs have ranks?

These characters are all subordinate characters, so they’re effectively treated as Fated, whose owner flips cards for them.

• Like 1