Brewmaster Core, for comment

Bazlord_Prime

I got reminded by a podcast yesterday that Hannah exists, and is quite an interesting model.

So I thought about whether there might be some utility from her in a Brewmaster list. The core I came up with is intended to leverage her Action to copy Casts, with the idea being to get as much Still out there as possible. She can't copy Brewmaster's "Hangover" directly, of course, which is where the whole thing gets pretty tortuous, but see what you reckon:

The Brewmaster
 - Stilts (1)
Apprentice Wesley (3)
Hannah (11)
Sammy LaCroix (7)
 - Binge (1)

Brewmaster & Wesley can Swill things. Sammy can try to Binge twice, either hitting Brewmaster to drop a :mask and Hangover again, or hitting an enemy as per. Hannah can try to copy Sammy's Binge twice, doing the same.

Hannah's copy is a (0) so she'd only Pick Yer Poison once, but she's a solid model otherwise so I don't really see a problem.

I guess my main issue with this is that you're putting so many points into replicating an action which is just okay, and splitting the card discard between multiple activations, which weakens it significantly (cause they get to use their good cards between your activations)

• Like 1

Yeah hannah is a good model it's just that we don't have that many strong ca actions in Gremlins. I personally really think she would be best in a Zoraida list. You take Sammy + poisoned fate and then poisoned fate becomes deadly. Two models doing up to min 4 for an activation with 18 inch range + a slow trigger is kind of worth casting every turn. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Dogmantra said:

Hannah's copy is a (0) so she'd only Pick Yer Poison once, but she's a solid model otherwise so I don't really see a problem.

Awww, dammit! I always lose track of some important point ;-)  I'd started out thinking that I might be able to copy Wesley or Malifaux Child's copies, but of course, those aren't Cast Actions.

5 hours ago, Dogmantra said:

I guess my main issue with this is that you're putting so many points into replicating an action which is just okay, and splitting the card discard between multiple activations, which weakens it significantly (cause they get to use their good cards between your activations)

Yeah, it really is a significant outlay in Soulstones (although Arcane Reservoir is great, and her Attack is pretty good, if you can get her up into the enemy). 

The nibbling away at an opponent's cards is a point I wasn't completely happy with either. You're right - the "Pick Yer Poison" Attacks from this list would probably be spread across the third & fourth activations (Brewie & Wesley first, then Hannah & Sammy), giving the opponent plenty of time to get use out of their good cards.

The antidote to they would be to keep Binge for obeying your own models - Brewmaster especially - but that's assuming a lot of :mask in hand. And preferably low ones at that. Then again, Hannah can always copy Sammy's Jynx, if :mask are lacking. 

21 minutes ago, Drunken Kung Fu Kid said:

Are actions with the restriction "once per turn" useable by Hannah? 

My idea for wave 5 brewie is a reactivating, flurrying Whiskey golem which got pushed 3 times by trixie after out activation. 6 Attacks on the enemy master turn 1 sounds kinda sweet. And all u need is a teapot ;)

Don't wanna chuck Sparks in there for Fast as well?? :D

Those "Once Per Turn" Actions, I've been told on here can be done once per turn, per model. So if you have both Burt Jebsen & The Lovely Assistant, you could do "Crackerjack Timing" twice - once each. So I'm assuming the same goes for Hannah.

1 hour ago, lame0 said:

Yeah hannah is a good model it's just that we don't have that many strong ca actions in Gremlins. I personally really think she would be best in a Zoraida list. You take Sammy + poisoned fate and then poisoned fate becomes deadly. Two models doing up to min 4 for an activation with 18 inch range + a slow trigger is kind of worth casting every turn. 

Good points. I didn't have any other Ca actions in mind, and - for Brewmaster - no other decent come to mind.

40 minutes ago, Dominion said:

if you only want to swill things:

Brewmaster - Binge

Wesley
Sparks
Mechanized Porkchop
Iron Skeeter - Airship spotlight
Lazarus

e and also shot stuff dead

I don't get it? What do Mech Pork, Iron Skeeter with Spotlight, and Lazarus have to do with Swill? If they're just there to capitalise on Swill, then those 3 models become pretty interchangeable, right?

Also, if Swill is the main idea, surely Binge on Brewy becomes redundant ;-)

8 hours ago, Dominion said:

Lazarus can cast swill on a target and then shoot it 4 times

The skeeter is there to deny cover for lazarus' shoots

Ahhhh, okay - thanks. It all makes sense - Mech Pork to drop a Scrap marker for free, Sparks to then make Brewie a Construct with a (0), then Lazarus can (0) Assimilate "Hangover". Nice!

And then, just to be silly (and at a bargain cost of only 22ss), take Hannah as well as she can copy Lazarus' (0) Actions (since he's Freikorps), and that gives you Hannah copies Lazarus who copies Brewmaster!!

And that may just be the point at which your opponent slaps you for taking three flips to resolve one Action... :D

So one of the modules I was thinking could be tacked onto that original core was the following:

Lenny (9)

4 x Bayou Gremlin (12)

Lightning Bug (5)

Total - 49ss

The basic idea is that Swill makes enemies so vulnerable that the humble Bayou is well capable of offing them, especially if they have Lenny nearby to donate :ram & guarantee "Dumb Luck", reduce the damage they suffer by 1 (and also to throw them for a 10" head start if they need to go Scheme run). Lightning Bug's there to heal.

My question is, given my idea here is to give the minnows in Gremlins a chance to nibble away at the big fish - via Swill-nablement - are there any better models you can suggest than the Lennified Bayous?

Given that block requires 14ss of support to function, I'd also started looking at Survivors. At 5ss each, you could take 3 of them for about the same as the Bayou support, and they've got decent damage tracks (2/4/5). Plus, they'll often be able to shoot that. Three times per activation. And maybe give out Poison while they do it. Plus, they'd be independent, whereas the Bayous would have to hang out right next to Lenny.

Any other ideas?

• Like 1

Survivors are also harder to kill than Bayou gremlins. The Lucky Effigy is very hard to kill and only has base 3, but has a whopping min 3 damage! That seems good with swill. Akaname are only 4 stones and can quickly build up to Ml8 against the targets they poison, but i don't think your list is too worried about lowering wp with brewies aura. Perhaps piglets with hog whisperer? I am not experienced enough with pigs but they are cheap and get plenty of attacks. The new Gautraeux Bokor can attack a target to give Brewmaster, Sammy and Wesley :+fate to CA actions against the target.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Nukemouse said:

Survivors are also harder to kill than Bayou gremlins. The Lucky Effigy is very hard to kill and only has base 3, but has a whopping min 3 damage! 

Yes! Actually I'm very much looking forward to trying the Lucky Effigy with loads of Swill about. A chance to let him 'shine, if you will :-)

Piglets might be another good idea, thanks. I could drop one Bayou in order to bring Lenny's upgrade so he could summon them, and they're also excellent Scheme runners anyway. Could even put "Pork Whisper'n" in there to help out. And Brewy might also be able to Obey/Binge them to 1 AP Charge. Nice one!

On 01/10/2017 at 10:23 AM, Bazlord_Prime said:

Don't wanna chuck Sparks in there for Fast as well?? :D

Those "Once Per Turn" Actions, I've been told on here can be done once per turn, per model. So if you have both Burt Jebsen & The Lovely Assistant, you could do "Crackerjack Timing" twice - once each. So I'm assuming the same goes for Hannah.

Once Per Turn Actions page 37
Some Actions note that they can only be taken “once per Turn.” This
only refers to the individual model. Although the model may only take
the Action once per Turn, other models may still take the Action.

• Like 1

On 03/10/2017 at 4:13 AM, Bazlord_Prime said:

So one of the modules I was thinking could be tacked onto that original core was the following:

Lenny (9)

4 x Bayou Gremlin (12)

Lightning Bug (5)

I've had pretty much exactly this idea and have tried it out a few times, but sadly it doesn't seem to perform as well on the table as in theory. It's been a while so I don't remember exactly what went wrong, but cover hurt it, and the Bayou Gremlins often ended up having to either split up or die.

On 05/10/2017 at 4:38 AM, Dogmantra said:

I've had pretty much exactly this idea and have tried it out a few times, but sadly it doesn't seem to perform as well on the table as in theory. It's been a while so I don't remember exactly what went wrong, but cover hurt it, and the Bayou Gremlins often ended up having to either split up or die.

Hmmm... Dire news indeed.  I've only tried the Bayou gunline once before, and found it too static, and I guess the above isn't very different in implementation. I'd wondered if the Emissary might help, instead of Lenny, giving them :+fate off the generic Conflux, but without the guaranteed :ram and the dmg reduction, I'm fairly sure it wouldn't work out as well...

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, Lokibri said:

Maybe you can get some inspiration from a list and a little guide i wrote. It is called "Pub fight" and essentially tries to force your opponent into more and more WP duels unless he/she fails some :).

PS: I would definitely get the new upgrade "A barkeeper never sleeps" now.

Nice one! I've had a few thoughts around Mancha myself, and am keen to get him on the field with Brewy. We're in the middle of a campaign at the moment tho, using unfamiliar factions (that'd be Guild for me), so it might be a while.

Tournament coming up end of November, tho... Could go Ironman Brewy and just see what happens!!