best ways to magnetize our miniature

TeddyBear

I magnetize all my bases for all my wargaming miniatures.

Usually I use 2mm thickness, but that won't fit Malifaux bases.

For malifaux, these work great:

https://smile.amazon.com/Multi-Use-Refrigerator-Magnets-Science-Crafts/dp/B073JZ42VJ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1506448851&sr=8-1&keywords=Small+Multi-Use+Refrigerator+Magnets+for+Refrigerator

They are slightly too thin to line up with the bottom of the base so I cut i tiny piece of cardboard from a cereal box to the bottom of the base and then glue the magnet to that.

Contrary to the comment above, I glue it to the center of the base to make sure I get the strongest possible hold of the mini to my transport box... But I see his point. These magnets are strong and you have to be careful not to snap thin legs from some of the more fragile minis.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I use Rare Earth Magnets (6mm x 1.5mm) which I glue in a center of a base. In order to not break my miniatures off their bases I just put a stripe of a paper under them, bend sides upwards and then, when I am taking the miniature out of the box, pull the "handle" on one side. The magnets are strong enough to hold a miniature (I even tried to shake the box and nothing happend.) but if you lift one side of the base few milimeters they loose their grip enough to pick the model up safely.

• Thanks 1

I use 1/8" x 1/16" *ya non-metric*, I think they would be like 3mm x 1.5mm in metric.  I also put them on the center of the base but I put a layer of paper towel across the metal.  It lets me pick them up by the model without breaking them.  I know another person used thin felt.

A friend uses even smaller magnets and uses hot glue to set them on the bottom of the base.  Apparently it gets the magnet snug enough to stay and being a smaller rare earth magnet *I think he uses like 1.5mm x 1.5mm, so pretty small*.  He has no problem picking them off his tin so far.

• Thanks 1

I use two 1.5 x 3 mm magnets for 30 mm bases, two to three 2 x 4 mm for 40/50 mm. I slide the models of the metal trays rather than trying to pull them off as the amount of magnets I use makes them stick pretty hard, which makes me less paranoid when transporting them. :) 

• Thanks 1

I think you are going to have to glue the magets to the base because otherwise removing the base from the sheet is very likely to leave the magnet behind. 

(I think the round grooves are hold overs from plastic pegs and the straight lien is from slotta bases, so you can have a guide if you want to use those models on tjhe base, but using them as magnet housing should eb fine)

• Thanks 1

• 2 years later...
13 hours ago, MrTuna said:

So, the new 3e style bases have no room for a magnet. What are people doing?

You can get smaller magnets. You can get roomier bases. You can say to hell with it and have the bases hover a few mm:P

I prefer buying generic 30mm lipped bases off of ebay etc.. About as much room as old style Wyrd bases. Took a rough comparison shot of old vs new vs off-brand style differences in another thread a while back:

11 hours ago, Nikodemus said:

You can get smaller magnets. You can get roomier bases. You can say to hell with it and have the bases hover a few mm:P

I prefer buying generic 30mm lipped bases off of ebay etc.. About as much room as old style Wyrd bases. Took a rough comparison shot of old vs new vs off-brand style differences in another thread a while back:

Makes sense. I had a pile of 30mm PP bases from my warmachine addiction. I just stole some of them.

They had slots which is annoying, but I can deal with those when I paint my base. Plenty of room for magnets.