Advices for choose the right faction.

TeddyBear

Hello everyone!

usually, who "open" a thread, with a title like this, is a new player that have starting play malifaux..

i'm already almost one year, that i'm playing at this great game, and when i started, i was tied so much that i have bought almost anything until wave 4..

Now i know, that this is a very subjective and improbable question, but how can i choose the right faction for me?

I'd like to do some tournaments; like i'm doing now i know generally all master, but none of them very very well..:(

Parameter for to make a very subjective decision like that, are always for all the same:

• Miniature's Aesthetics, but i like them all except those have too human's aspect
  • Power level (if you can call), personally i find that there are some master/set up that are better than other but i think with wave 5 will be all more balanced
  • Personal taste, ok this is the most subjective point, i like Zoraida because i like witch figure in folklore.

Okay so do you have any suggestions for me perhaps?

I've done a cherry-pick of masters that i have, but there are still a lot of them, and i've actually thought (that in anticipation of tournaments) i'll no take summoning master, for a question of comfort :P

Guild: None

Resurrectionists: Reva, Seamus, McMourning

Arcanists: None

Neverborn: Zoraida, Lilith, (Titania, Pandora)

Outcasts: Tara, Hamelin, Leveticus (Jack daw, it's one of my favourits but i find him least likely for a tournament)

Ten Thunder: Shenlong, McCabe (but i don't know to do with strategies like Interference :Pin gg2017)

Gremlins: Zipp

Thanks in advance who will want help me ;) and sorry for language mistakes

I'd say for your first tournament, go with 2 or 3 masters you are comfortable with.  It looks like you would be set for Ressers or Outcasts.  The Outcast crews you have should be able to handle most Strats/Schemes, have some common models between them, have limited summoning (since you were trying to stay away from summoning).  All three of those Masters can be very strong players.

As far as the Ressers, Reva is strong but somewhat of a "one trick pony" in that if your opponent knows her thing they can limit her effectiveness.  Seamus is considered one of the lesser masters but wave 5 may have changed that.  McM can be a beast depending on how you run/build his crew.

Keep in mind these are just my opinions and I am horrible at this game (but still love playing it).

In the end, just go with the one you like best and have fun with them.

• Thanks 1

You could probably solo Lilith or McMourning and be quite comfortable.

In ten thunders you can handle interference by tanking up at your own table edge with Katanaka snipers and possibly trappers and just making sure you get the two quarters you deployed in while denying some enemy scheme points, that is how guild and TT tend to have to play it. Hounds help McCabe get more activations and do most marker schemes. Tournament tables tend to be a little light on terrain so your snipers will get a chance to dictate a lot or movement and/or pick their preferred targets. Add some melee threat to counter the enemy alpha strike and you're set.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Ludvig said:

You could probably solo Lilith or McMourning and be quite comfortable.

In ten thunders you can handle interference by tanking up at your own table edge with Katanaka snipers and possibly trappers and just making sure you get the two quarters you deployed in while denying some enemy scheme points, that is how guild and TT tend to have to play it. Hounds help McCabe get more activations and do most marker schemes. Tournament tables tend to be a little light on terrain so your snipers will get a chance to dictate a lot or movement and/or pick their preferred targets. Add some melee threat to counter the enemy alpha strike and you're set.

I like much shenlong and mc cabe, i'm trying them in these days.. i need to understand how to magnetize some of tt pieces like yasunori or emissary..because just purchased i've broke them in classic foam-case

• Like 1

So I've played a lot of games with Zipp, Zoraida and Tara.
My honest oppinion:

- If you wanna have fun and be competitive at the same time - Play Zipp. He is flexible, fast, super hard to bring down and his wave 5 upgrade is crazy! He can do basicly anything. 
- If you want to be flexible, fast and have good tanky options, Tara is the way to go. She got a nice boost in power with wave 5. I'd stay with Resser Tara tho since Centauroi are absolute beast with her. (Expand Tara's Threatrange by 18"(24" with some Medication) And who doesnt like a Nothing Beast with armor+2 incorporeal, 1dmg Voidblock and Soulstones and Voidshield against Severes or Red Jokers. And heals. =D 
- Zoraida can do a lot of things and is far away from being a non-competitive master right now. But she still feels like working way harder for her wins. 

• Thanks 1

On 1/10/2017 at 10:26 AM, Drunken Kung Fu Kid said:

- If you want to be flexible, fast and have good tanky options, Tara is the way to go. She got a nice boost in power with wave 5. I'd stay with Resser Tara tho since Centauroi are absolute beast with her. (Expand Tara's Threatrange by 18"(24" with some Medication) And who doesnt like a Nothing Beast with armor+2 incorporeal, 1dmg Voidblock and Soulstones and Voidshield against Severes or Red Jokers. And heals. =D 

can i ask you please how t give it armor + 2 and advices about voidblock and heals it?

I like much use Tara, but always i have to be careful when my opponent plays with many "beaters".. after all she have def 5.. 

The generic resser Totem "graveyard spirit" gives armor+2 to anything in base contact to it. Since nothing beast is ht3 its pretty easy to hid the graveyard spirit behind it.

Also Ressers have options like Yin who has really good synergy with things attacking WP like the Nothing Beast. I played a game of extraction vs a Lynch crew and put yin, the Nothing Beast right in the middle, with the graveyard spirit behind them giving them both armor 2 and tara a bit further behind, with some rotten belles. The forgotten Marshal and Tara did Claimjump and NB+Yin scored Extraction and Show of Force. Lynch had a pretty good crew vs my Incorporeal Void models cause he had Stiched togethers and his own casts. 

When he tried to break my Tanks at turn 2 and 3 it blocked basicly his whole crew my Nothing beast just by Armor+2, discarding card and blocking 1 dmg cause NB was near Tara and it is a void model (New Dead of Winter Upgrade) and soulstone prevention. I lured his stuff in and he slowly lost his crew over the turns 2-4. 

I didnt bring a nurse but she can basicly heal the NB back to full if its getting dangerous. Or bring Chiaki. 
Also Decaying Aura is strong on the Nothing Beast. 

With the new upgrade "out of time"  tara can stay alive longer is she playes defensively. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Drunken Kung Fu Kid said:

The generic resser Totem "graveyard spirit" gives armor+2 to anything in base contact to it. Since nothing beast is ht3 its pretty easy to hid the graveyard spirit behind it.

Also Ressers have options like Yin who has really good synergy with things attacking WP like the Nothing Beast. I played a game of extraction vs a Lynch crew and put yin, the Nothing Beast right in the middle, with the graveyard spirit behind them giving them both armor 2 and tara a bit further behind, with some rotten belles. The forgotten Marshal and Tara did Claimjump and NB+Yin scored Extraction and Show of Force. Lynch had a pretty good crew vs my Incorporeal Void models cause he had Stiched togethers and his own casts. 

When he tried to break my Tanks at turn 2 and 3 it blocked basicly his whole crew my Nothing beast just by Armor+2, discarding card and blocking 1 dmg cause NB was near Tara and it is a void model (New Dead of Winter Upgrade) and soulstone prevention. I lured his stuff in and he slowly lost his crew over the turns 2-4. 

I didnt bring a nurse but she can basicly heal the NB back to full if its getting dangerous. Or bring Chiaki. 
Also Decaying Aura is strong on the Nothing Beast. 

With the new upgrade "out of time"  tara can stay alive longer is she playes defensively. 

Many Thanks!