Box Sets to complement Herald of Obliteration

Phinn

Yesterday I won Herald of Obliteration, Nightmare Edition in a tournament. I wasn't planning to purchase Tara, but she was one of, many I must add, masters that allways interested me. It feels wrong to sell the box set and it would be nice to play something else than Zoraida (and to paint something else than trees, frogs and bugs) and the more I read about Tara the more I like her, but the more I am confused as well. That's why I come to you with a plea for help.

What would you say are 3 or 4 box sets I should purchase next? Thematic models, preferably.
Talos, Scion of the Void, Death Marshals and The Drowned?

Outcast Tara versus Resurrectionist Tara. What are some differences in their playstyle? Do they use similar models?

Outcast and resser Tara are pretty similar in gameplay. For 4 boxes thematically I would go into Death Marshals, Killjoy (not Void theme, but good synergy with Tara's bury mechanics), Scion and Aionus. I haven't tried Talos so can't recomend him or not. You do not need Drowned. If you want to summon with Karina go for Guild Autopsies and Punk Zombies.

Outcast Tara has cheaper ways to get killjoy, can equip him with oathkeeper and can give scout the field to NB (Nb can charge without line of sight and ignoring terrain). Outcast tara can as well go for merc-spam with "i pay better" or do abomination spam (many activation and card-draws turn one) for better alphas. Or do the reactivating beast bomb through emmisarry or Rusty.

Outcast Tara has more and better options sending Models Out for Alphastrikes.

Resser Tara has Nurses and Belles to pull stuff into a fast ball of death. Resser Tara has overall more ways to abuse her WP-duels to use her WP-Debuff.

You can play her at Ressers as an Alpha-Strike Master as well but outcasts can do better Alpha-Striking.

Ressers can turtle up and pull single models into a ball of death.

Thank you :)

I made the same post on A Wyrd Place, asked local Tara player, read more and listened to some podcasts to learn not just about Tara, but about The Outcasts as such, because I realized how little I know.

At the moment my plan is to purchase:

• Scion of the Void
  • Miss Terious, Female Death Marshal - As I was told that a single Death Marshal is enough most of the times.
  • Talos - If I am not mistaken he should be released at the end of october.

Would this be enough?

I do understand why a box set of 3 more Void Wretches would be useful, but can't see myself painting 6 of the same model, so they will have to wait.

I will also wait with buying Guild Autopsies and Punk Zombies for Karina to summon and instead ask local Resurrectionists if I could borrow a single model of each.

Is Aionus considered a core Tara model or is he just a nice model to have?

Should I also get Bishop, Johan, Sue or Hans? I am not a fan of Killjoy, both sculpt and rules.

1 hour ago, Phinn said:

Thank you :)

I made the same post on A Wyrd Place, asked local Tara player, read more and listened to some podcasts to learn not just about Tara, but about The Outcasts as such, because I realized how little I know.

At the moment my plan is to purchase:

• Scion of the Void
  • Miss Terious, Female Death Marshal - As I was told that a single Death Marshal is enough most of the times.
  • Talos - If I am not mistaken he should be released at the end of october.

Would this be enough?

I do understand why a box set of 3 more Void Wretches would be useful, but can't see myself painting 6 of the same model, so they will have to wait.

I will also wait with buying Guild Autopsies and Punk Zombies for Karina to summon and instead ask local Resurrectionists if I could borrow a single model of each.

Is Aionus considered a core Tara model or is he just a nice model to have?

Should I also get Bishop, Johan, Sue or Hans? I am not a fan of Killjoy, both sculpt and rules.

I have Aionus, he is great fun to run with Tara but in my opinion not cost effective (I could be using him ineffectively too).

On the Killjoy front, you could also go with a Carver (if you like the model) as he is an official proxy for Killjoy.

As far as summoning, I haven't had much luck with Karina and summoning (again, I am probably doing it wrong).

I would get
Scion of the Void
Death Marshals
Aionus
Guild Autopsies
and 1 or 2 punk zombies if you can.

MY typical list is
Tara
Karina
Nothing Beast
Scion
2x Death Marshals
2x Void Wretches
It plays well with aggressive burying and taking advantage of a low hand size.

Switch out Nothing Beast and some upgrades for Aionus, and the wretches for Autopsies and you won't have to worry about hand size.

5 hours ago, Mikey_C said:

I would get
Scion of the Void
Death Marshals
Aionus
Guild Autopsies
and 1 or 2 punk zombies if you can.

MY typical list is
Tara
Karina
Nothing Beast
Scion
2x Death Marshals
2x Void Wretches
It plays well with aggressive burying and taking advantage of a low hand size.

Switch out Nothing Beast and some upgrades for Aionus, and the wretches for Autopsies and you won't have to worry about hand size.

Not a lot of hitting power outside of the Nothing Beast though....

so I take it you're focussing on summoning with Karina?

Just now, Raimu said:

Does the thing like focusing Karina summoning even exist? :D It's too unreliable to make it main tactic

well you can aim to save your high crows, and build card draw into the list to make it more reliable. In all honesty its more reliable than Nicodem summoning in 1st edition, and people managed to play with that as their main tactic. 

59 minutes ago, CapnBloodbeard said:

Not a lot of hitting power outside of the Nothing Beast though....

so I take it you're focussing on summoning with Karina?

Scion has a 1/4/7 attack, and another that does as much damage as the enemy has already suffered to a max of 3. 
If the Scion is buried anyone can copy those. Tara herself with 6 attacks is a competent fighter herself and it can force 6 bury tests, which messes with the opponents hand. Death Marshals IMO hit way above their weight class with pine box. Then factor in that the Tara crew will often benefit from fast, while key enemy models will suffer slow. What it lacks in raw  hitting power it makes up for by bury threats and forcing so many simple duels.    

I typically play Karina but spending 2-3 ap total on walking. I get her into cover nearish the center, from there she can shoot, summon or attack buried models.

Her summoning is more reliable than you think, you just have to dedicate any 9+ of :crow to her, and if when her activation comes up you don't have anything useful to do you can always focus twice and then try to summon a guild autopsy or crooligan. 

I have to recommend Bishop with Tara if you are wanting to drop a beater into the enemy turn 1. Tara gets round Bishops slow nature and combined that with 4 AP means you can position Bishop in a place to charge and flurry or flurry twice very easily. Combined with the Tara upgrade to give :+fate to the initiative flip you could get two Bishop activations in a row. I have had great fun dropping him into the enemy master and getting 10 attacks on them which generally results in a dead master.

5 minutes ago, SirRocketPants said:

I've never thought about this.... if you stone for another initiative flip.... does that one also get a + flip?

3 minutes ago, Raimu said:

Why not? It gives + to all initiative flips

It sure does! It means you have close to a 1/3 chance of tying or beating an 11 (I think, been a while since I did the math on that one). 

Asking questions left, right and middle, because I know nothing about The Outcasts.

I haven't finished assemling Tara's crew yet, but out of sheer curiosity...
With what master/s does Tara share models? From what I've read I understand that Outcast masters unfotunately generally do not share a lot of models apart from "all stars" like Johan.