Guild Lucius post errata

RustAndTheCity

Nope.  You, from a safe location put Santiago at 4 wounds.  Then, he helps Santiago by teleporting him to the place where he can have a single glory turn, and then makes him take one shot (or more) shots with commanding presence.  Then Santiago drops DttG, and removes things that don't have armor.

(I got this off the forums.  I wanna say it was Admiral V, but I can't say for certain.)

Witchling Thralls were seemingly designed for Lucius. They will automatically pass any Horror duel he makes them take, they're Minions so he can Issue Command, and then if he uses any scheme marker shenanigans they can attack when a marker is dropped nearby (once per turn but it's still cool!). That means under his tender ministrations, you can have one of these things attack 5 times in a turn (its 2 AP, his Horror duel walk, Issue Command, and then order someone to drop a nearby scheme marker) and it can do so at positive attack flips if he's nearby.

He wasn't able to order Austringers around pre-errata - he can now. Those birds are still as useful as they ever were.

I was put onto Guild Pathfinders by the Scottish Wizard Dave Laing. They work well with Master Queeg who has a similar I'll-walk-over-here-and-you'll-do-something mechanic with Minions and 0 actions, so Queeg can walk and make the Pathfinder summon or move traps, then Lucius or the Pathfinder itself can get more work out of that potentially armour-ignoring musket. Plus traps are great for Devil's Deal damage if you can't find anyone else to take it.

Have tried a Rifleman line that actually worked. 2 Riflemen, Dashel and Queeg. Queeg walks twice, orders both Riflemen to Focus for a 0 off Dashel's aura. Queeg is a Guardsman himself so counts for the Riflemen Firing Line ability. Then the Riflemen can activate, take a Focussed shot at double positive to attack (Dashel giving an extra positive) with 14" range at Sh6 and a now 3/4/6 track, Focus for a 0 off Dashel, then shoot again. 4 of those hurts, and that's before Lucius orders more Focussed shots. Be prepared to use Dashel and Queeg to keep enemy models off the Riflemen though - Queeg's whip with its built in push is pretty great for that, as are summoned Guild Guard to block attack lanes.

Guardians can give a lot of beef to a Lucius list. They can't be Inspiring Presence-d but they can be Issued Orders and they can receive the positive flips to attack at Ml7. And their Protect (double defensive to target model for a 7) is great to look after a vulnerable target. Of themselves Df6 with Armour and Grind to a Halt, they can stick around if you need them to.

And all of that is just the Guild tech, without touching on Changelings for amusement value and Terracotta Warriors for swapping around Lucius' upgrades so he always has the right tool for the job.

The key to any support Master who gets more AP out of their crew is to make sure you have actions in that crew that are worth taking.

• Like 3

How is warden working with Lucius? A guardsman with build-in [+] to Horror Duels, the warden looks like a perfect target to receive Lucius' order.

And the Changeling, I read tons of articles talking about him with Lucius can become a cheaper copy of austringer. Is there any other ways to use them? Because I am not sure should I trust a Sh4 austringer.

12 minutes ago, Rufess said:

How is warden working with Lucius? A guardsman with build-in [+] to Horror Duels, the warden looks like a perfect target to receive Lucius' order.

And the Changeling, I read tons of articles talking about him with Lucius can become a cheaper copy of austringer. Is there any other ways to use them? Because I am not sure should I trust a Sh4 austringer.

I want to love the warden, and have had some good games with it.  BUT I wish their damage spread ramped a little more than it does.  I've found less of a place for them in my games since the errata because the Guardians are so much more survivable for 1 pt more.

When it comes to the austringer, I think most suggestions to run it with changelings are pre-eratta.  I don't think they are as good with them now.  The austringer bird attack really isn't impressive at sh 4.  I'd much rather copy a FK trapper for shoot with them.  TBH, I haven't loved the changeling recently.  I tried them with lawyers to spam fees without much success, but my opponent's list was one that was largely immune to fees (either non-damaging attacks, samurai with their upgrade, master, etc).  I'm sure I will build that list again, but it really wasn't very good.

• Like 1

Changelings feel almost dirty with a freikorps trapper who has a good attack to copy. Apart from that they work better in neverborn since guild has a lot of their effectiveness tied into triggers like built in crit strikes. 

The threat of a warden's paralyze can be used to keep some opponents in line. It's almost useless against soulstone users because it's after damaging on a 1/2/3 track unfortunately. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Ludvig said:

Changelings feel almost dirty with a freikorps trapper who has a good attack to copy. Apart from that they work better in neverborn since guild has a lot of their effectiveness tied into triggers like built in crit strikes. 

The threat of a warden's paralyze can be used to keep some opponents in line. It's almost useless against soulstone users because it's after damaging on a 1/2/3 track unfortunately. 

There are some good attacks in Guild that they can copy. Phiona has good damage track and :+fate against activated models and Jury has good damage and gives out slow or draws cards. Even Jury's book attack might be kind of okay on Changelings.

• Like 2

Wastrels I find work well with Lucius's devil's deal ability due to cast offs, and built in :+fate to sh attack flips is quite good against enemies in cover. 

I find Lucius starting crew has his best play potential at heart. Captain dashel is a reliable forward piece, especially when backed up with hard to wound +1 from the guild lawyer.

I generally drop the guild guard for the sergeants and equip dashel with the arrest him! Upgrade.

The scribe is invaluable, its 2 soulstones with legs. 

Guild lawyers are surprisingly resilient and offer the fee's ability which can cause a reasonable amount of misery for your opponent.

If you take the surprisingly loyal upgrade on Lucius my 3 mimics that stand out are as follows.

Terracotta Warrior: the Thousand strong ability has great synergy for devils deal however its 5 ss that won't do alot more than follow Lucius.

Doppelganger: To steal the initiative. 

Candy: A good heal for Lucius and summoned Guild Guards. Also more control for the guild lawyers a true recommend.

Finally if you feel like really driving a point home for guild Lucius. A pair of guild rifleman backed up with Lucius bearing the secret assets and vengeance bullet upgrade will reliably delete most soulstones enabled models. 

Ive also used Sidir, but I put sidir in everything so that's most likely a bias, but the promises upgrade allows you to run more henchmen and enforcers with Lucius thanks to :+fate to the Wp duels to everyone in 6" of him with an upgrade.

I have the notion that Lucius, Queeg, and a pair of monster hunters are going to be obscene against more expensive lists. I also have the notion that Queeg and an investigator are a comfortable duo, with or without Lucius, but that with Lucius anyone close enough can pop out of engagement on a (0). Quellers and riot breakers are things you hire against the opposition, not so much to pair with masters. I'm still trying to grasp what a domador may do.

On 9/18/2017 at 12:39 PM, 4thstringer said:

I want to love the warden, and have had some good games with it.  BUT I wish their damage spread ramped a little more than it does.  I've found less of a place for them in my games since the errata because the Guardians are so much more survivable for 1 pt more.

Unfortunately, I agree. Last year was the time to proxy wardens with existing guardians; this year the wardens have seen lots of table time as proxy guardians.

12 hours ago, Gnomezilla said:

I have the notion that Lucius, Queeg, and a pair of monster hunters are going to be obscene against more expensive lists. I also have the notion that Queeg and an investigator are a comfortable duo, with or without Lucius, but that with Lucius anyone close enough can pop out of engagement on a (0). Quellers and riot breakers are things you hire against the opposition, not so much to pair with masters. I'm still trying to grasp what a domador may do.

What is Queeg doing for the Monster Hunters?   The only thing I can come up with is getting two stalks out first activation.  

30 minutes ago, Ludvig said:

Not sure how they work but can't they juat stalk something themselves after they killed whatever had stalk before? 

If they kill out of activation with their activation shot, Queeg could help get something new stalked.  (That being said, since they both have stalked someone, I would imagine that getting a second thing stalked wouldn't be that important.)