Clash test dummies

dstrout

I see lots of newbie painting questions, but haven't seen this particular idea, so I thought I'd throw it out here for general consideration.  I'll preface this with the comment  that I'm new to Malifaux, but have been doing 40K for a long time.

What I do is keep some "junk" minis around to test techniques and color combinations on.  You can pick up 4 or 5 elder or tau, which are similar in size and delicacy to Manifaux, for about $15 on eBay.  Strip them, prime them, and go to town.  Try the same techniques on a couple of them. For example, try the same colors with black primer on one, but grey primer on another.  See what you like, then strip them again.  They get beat up, but you do't care - it's just cheap practice.

Anyway, it's something to consider if you haven't thought of it.

• Like 1

I don't understand why you wouldn't pick

-something actually cheap like Bones

-a pack of 3 malifaux guys for not much more, that you would be more likely to use, even if not in great condition

...40k details are so chunky that I don't feel they're very solid practice for how thin most malifaux things are...

• Like 1

Fair point - like I said I'm new to malifaux. The point was more for new painters to get some cheap throw-aways before they try a new technique on a model they care about.

I also agree - much finer detail on Malifaux.  I'm enjoying the extra challenge- it's definitely the next level of painting.

Painting some minis for testing is ALWAYS a very good idea. For a beginner this seems as a lot of wasted time, but it's worth the effort.

But I think you will get best results on the actual range of minis from your system of desire. And you can alwas dip your testing minis in alcohol.