Broken Promises (Spoiler Free)

Mike Wallace

And yes I'm aware of the irony of that title.

But if I can take a minute to be spoiler free about this book: stones take me if it isn't gorgeous to flip through.

- A clean, stylish format.

- Full-page, full-color art.

- Entertaining stories.

- A horde of fresh, enticing new models and upgrades.

- My name is everywhere.

It's some of the best stuff you guys have produced thus far. Kudos to the developers and editors who gave it 110% when it would have been so easy (perhaps even forgivable to some) to let it be merely average in the shadow of The Other Side's impending arrival. Well done. 

• Like 2

Not sure we're looking at the same book. The stories are, for lack of a better word, stupid. The characters have become caricatures of themselves. Joking about Lady J's love life? Perdita throwing a tantrum? A FLIRTING HOFFMAN? 

The characters used to have nuance and depth. Now it's like they're in a Friends re-boot.

@Lemonjello with some patience since I haven't actually read this book yet...it's hardly the first time. :unsure:

Well, good news then, pursuant to previous conversations: looks like there has finally been found the hit-upside-the-head-with-a-relic-hammer level of un-subtlety that was needed to get through to the average reader. :mellow:

Now I think I'm going to go throw a private tantrum. Again, with some patience, since I haven't actually read the book yet and this is more directed at my fellow players...

23 minutes ago, Gnomezilla said:

@Lemonjello with some patience since I haven't actually read this book yet...it's hardly the first time. :unsure:

Well, good news then, pursuant to previous conversations: looks like there has finally been found the hit-upside-the-head-with-a-relic-hammer level of un-subtlety that was needed to get through to the average reader. :mellow:

Now I think I'm going to go throw a private tantrum. Again, with some patience, since I haven't actually read the book yet and this is more directed at my fellow players...

I'll just note that I find this really quite condescending and insulting. The fact that you correctly guessed that Tara and Karina were apparently romantically involved (which I still find a bit weird because of the vast gulf between their mental capabilities) doesn't mean that all the rest of us are dumb-as-bricks as you keep insinuating (with bonus cutesy phrasing to boot). The writers could've just as easily said that no, they are just good friends and have a sort of a niece and her favourite aunt type of thing going on it would've still fit the stories just fine.

Book 5.

Con's:

had too much re-used art,

each taking up half a page at a time creating a lot of dead space.

I found many of the new character designs to be lacking in the style that I had come to expect of weird as before this I would have a hard time pointing out art or models I didn't care for.(friekorp engineers not wearing their signature suits, lotus eaters looking like wanna be sumo wrestlers, steam fitters-everything.)

Guild story read like a bad sitcom and would have been better in chronicles. If Perdita was actually asking Hoffman out or if McCabe had gotten together with Nellie, It would create interesting plot as one or both of them get into the inevitable trouble. 

Lack, or low levels of, character development.

Several of the lower teir master upgrades didn't give their masters the love they need.

Pro's: 

Got to read about the Gov. General so he seems more human than a mystery.

The new full page art for each faction is wonderful.

A hand full of the models or art for models looks amazing, Guild necromancers, alt Yan lo, McCabe, Lynch, to name the memorable ones

couple of decent one off scenarios.

Increased cross faction availability.

New units and upgrades (a no brainer, but still worth saying)

I have more thought on this book but I think this is enough for now, without going into a huge discussion.

15 hours ago, (Keenan) said:

What!? Admittedly I've been reading very little bits at a time and very late at night, but what did I miss?

The author that wrote their story (in a previous book) based their interaction upon a RL couple.

The status of Tara's and Karina's relationship is basically 100% forum speculation at this point.

• Like 2

There's no thread for real-life references in book five yet, so I'll drop this here for later.

BBC article about "the man with two hearts", his natural heart and a mechanical one, and how it warped his self-perception--and how Marlena the little mechromancer may be warped by what happened to her. Not a direct reference, but neurology is just neat to learn about. :)