Goryo assembly....

Paddywhack

Please for the love of all that is good in this world, stop making tiny plastic heads in two pieces!

I butchered the kneeling model's head badly. Ended up chopping it off and using a spare head from a mindless zombie instead. No fancy white mask, but the zombie head is screaming so it kinda works. It's still a bit messy as I damaged some of the plastic, but I'll have to see what it looks like after a prime. I think I can save him with clever painting and maybe a bit more green stuff. Might have to buy another box set and try again for that pose. 

Haven't assembled the standing one yet - at least his head is one piece. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Athiko said:

The Goryo are the the model I've found the most difficult to assemble so far. In fact I only managed one then I needed to have a lie down 

I haven't seen the goryo yet, but I'll get them for kirai in the future.

Have you assembled the brutal emissary though? To get the prisoner into the cage and to have the cage fit together perfectly ain't exactly a walk in the park :)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Freman said:

Rule for new models. Always have two points of contact on the base. Try to make it in as few pieces as possible. Try to make heads in one piece.

Wyrd sees your first rule and laughs. After all, Printing Press has what, eight points of contact on the base! :lol:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hound Grey said:

Count yourself luck you haven't tried to put together the last two nightmare boxes, they actually wish you good luck putting them together on the box!

The Wild Ones was the most miserable modelling experience ive ever had.

I had a Punk Zombie's face ping off my desk and land in my cat's litter tray. That was definitely a new low point for me :(

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

One Goryo stands assembled and primed on my desk....he is my badge of honour....he is the physical embodiment of every time I cursed and asked myself "Just WHY exactly am I doing this to myself ?!"....and then laughing....of all the possible challenges available in life I have chosen to focus on searching for tiny parts on the kitchen floor and adding filler to parts that could have been single pieces....Goryo stand at the pinnacle of that challenge and as value for money have given me SO much enjoyment that I'll almost be sad when they're finished....

....but then Curiosity Killed The Cat just landed on the table....So...I'm either going to demand a Wyrd Mad Modellers t-shirt be crafted or I'm going to start a modellers therapy group....in the meantime I'm just going to get back under the table and look for something I lost earlier

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

So I just finished building the 2nd Goryo. Some of the ghosts aren't where their supposed to be but I got them on there with a lot of green stuff.

Just want to say to anyone embarking on the Goryo assembly journey, the build instructions imply that you should assemble the Goryo completely and then attach the ghosts after. I don't recommend doing this as it caused me a lot of problems. Leave the arms off and dry fit everything first.

For the standing one I built the body, including the head and the back swords first. Then added the ghosts. Then glued the two arms together at the sword hilt and added them as one piece. Then added the belt ribbon and the extra wispy bit of the left ghost last. It wasn't perfect but I found it easier than when i did the first Goryo following the build instructions. Hope this helps anyone struggling

• 4 weeks later...

@Lokibri Do not dismay ;)....think of Goryo assembly as a journey....it may turn out to be a long journey...there will be highs and lows but once you finally get there you will look back with a smile and say "ok...so yes I am definitely crazy...but boy those Goryo look fantastic !"

Two days ago I finished building the kneeling Goryo to complete the pair....having just finished paying for therapy needed after the first one I anticipated that it was not going to be plain sailing...having said that I should point out that I was determined from the outset to leave the ghosts separate so that I can add them after the body is painted....mwah hah hah 😱...

...let me also point out that the level of invective used during assembly would have made a Viking blush as the third ghosts jaw pinged out of my tweezers to fly across the kitchen...BUT...after seeing the cat leap from its sleep as it heard my wail of dismay I now look back in great amusement....they are built...AND...of all my Malifaux collection are possibly my favorite sculpt...next comes the paint and doubtless some filling once the ghosts get added but am confident that it will all be worth it in the end

@GMort An unboxing overview and subsequent tips on assembly would be a HUGE bonus for everyone ;)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Burnin' Coal said:

@Lokibri Do not dismay ;)....think of Goryo assembly as a journey....it may turn out to be a long journey...there will be highs and lows but once you finally get there you will look back with a smile and say "ok...so yes I am definitely crazy...but boy those Goryo look fantastic !"

That sound pretty nice :D. I think this weekend i will make my first step on this long frustrasting journey to Goryo :D

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry everyone. My local hobby store has been having a bit of financial trouble and I've held off buying the last few months malifaux releases as I would have had to buy them from somewhere else. I've said I'll give them a few weeks to sort themselves out and get some stock in before I go elsewhere...

I know it's been a pain for the newer releases but I think supporting actual 'brick and mortar' hobby stores is important enough to warrant the wait.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 17/11/2017 at 3:15 PM, GMort said:

Sorry everyone. My local hobby store has been having a bit of financial trouble and I've held off buying the last few months malifaux releases as I would have had to buy them from somewhere else. I've said I'll give them a few weeks to sort themselves out and get some stock in before I go elsewhere...

I know it's been a pain for the newer releases but I think supporting actual 'brick and mortar' hobby stores is important enough to warrant the wait.

I waited long enough and having had no joy so have placed a somewhat substantial order for Malifaux with some-one else so as soon as they arrive I'll start up again...should be early next week all being well...

• Like 3

@GMort....can understand you hanging on for your local games store but this is great news...

....can we also please get an audio recording of your reaction to Goryo assembly ? ;)

....no need for audio recording of  the bag of legs, tails and noses that make up Curiosity Killed The Cat....we'll hear your wail all over the world 😉

1 hour ago, Burnin' Coal said:

@GMort....can understand you hanging on for your local games store but this is great news...

....can we also please get an audio recording of your reaction to Goryo assembly ? ;)

....no need for audio recording of  the bag of legs, tails and noses that make up Curiosity Killed The Cat....we'll hear your wail all over the world 😉

The first features should start appearing next week but I may start with a few single model boxes due to time constraints. The company I ordered from (Leodis Games) have been very helpful in sorting out my somewhat garbled requests as I hadn't really kept track of releases over the last few months...I also sprung for some of the limited edition bits and pieces I've missed out on courtesy of the Black Friday sale so they'll be in the mix as well...once they wind they way through UK Customs...

Assembled my Goryo in as methodical a way as I could including cleaning, dry fit of all parts and gap filling with green stuff and it took me 8 hours across 2 days. It pains me to paint them in 1 piece but there would have been so much mess and rework assembling and painting major parts separately.

@Stewbert...eight hours over several days was pretty much what I spent cleaning/building and filling as well...was determined to paint them separate...will be trying to build them up as units in the coming days...fingers crossed...if you hear a banshee wail that'll be me off to the store to buy them again

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 05/12/2017 at 8:53 AM, Burnin' Coal said:

@Stewbert...eight hours over several days was pretty much what I spent cleaning/building and filling as well...was determined to paint them separate...will be trying to build them up as units in the coming days...fingers crossed...if you hear a banshee wail that'll be me off to the store to buy them again

I've pretty much assembled every plastic model ever created by Wyrd and the Goryo are only the 2nd set I've ever rage quit during the assembly of...there are currently 35 assembled models sitting in front of me that I've assembled over the last few days and the second Goryo now has it's own tub of bits where it'll be staying till I've had a nights sleep and can face the bloody thing again, lol. I'd rather base the other 35 than look at that bugger again today...

• Haha 2