Fated Progression Questions

Guyon

I want to make sure the players get all the points they earns as we play, so please make sure I am doing this right.

1 - After the Prologue players select a Pursuit (execpt for the first game).  They temporally receive the current ON THE PURSUIT, and gain the step zero talent if they do not already have it, Or advance one Talent on the list.  They also keep any previous Talents from other Pursuits that have earned.

EPILOGUE:
2a. During the Epilogue (even if they fail) they receive the paragraph under ON THE PURSUIT
OR
2b If the session revolves around the character and a Certain Advanced Pursuit  then they move up one on this list instead of 2a.

2c. Players also receive 1XP (even if they lose?)to be spent on Skills or saved.  The Fate master suggests what they should be spent on.
Here is my issue. on PG 318 Core 2e halfway done on the second column it says they can spend the point on the paragraph under ON THE PURSUIT

3- what do you get for completing one of the 4 TAROT stages?

I am kind of confused about character development as the game is played so if you want to scrap what I did above and just explain it, that works too.

Thanks

The On the Pursuit talent provides a bonus that is just for those following that pursuit, it is not gained in the sense that skills and talents are. In addition it adds a category of skills that may always be chosen for Advancement in the Epilogue.

After the prologue, each player selects a pursuit (and therefore gains the On the Pursuit bonus), and gains the Zero level talent if they do not already have it. All talents gained from other pursuits are retained. 

During the epilogue, each player advances to the next consecutive step of their pursuit, this is when the character gains a non-zero step talent.

Each session may revolve around one players Destiny Step. That player gains all the normal benefits for finishing the session, plus gets the very strong bonus of being able to raise a single Physical or Mental stat by one. There should be Five 'tarot' or destiny steps for each character.

Each player gains one experience point. That exp may be saved or spent to increase one of the two skills presented by the fatemaster, or one of the skills listed under the On the Pursuit.

It works well, but also feel free to change whatever does not feel right. Some Fatemasters do not have each session revolve around a characters Destiny Step. Some FM's award bonus exp for outstanding role-playing. The best thing about TtB character-wise is that players can really adapt to the particular setting and/or requirements of each session, while still growing into a well-defined persona.  The prologue is awesome. If the characters were trapped by a cave-in while exploring a mine in the previous session, in the current session some players may want to pick Drudge as their pursuit, while others may choose Engineer all with the intent to get out of the darkness.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, explorator said:

Each session may revolve around one players Destiny Step. That player gains all the normal benefits for finishing the session, plus gets the very strong bonus of being able to raise a single Physical or Mental stat by one.

Or they can get a manifested power/ability.

Also worth noting, that if the session is focused on a fated gaining or advancing an advanced pursuit, they'd "level up" the advanced pursuit instead of the pursuit they chose after the prologue.

• Like 1

Also, I may be misinterpreting you here, but there is not usually a 'win' or 'lose' at the end of a session. An RPG is not like a boardgame, with a clear winner and loser. If your character dies in an RPG you might consider it a fitting end to his story, not a 'you lost the game' moment.

Again, I might just be reading your words in the wrong way.