Shock & Awe's Acrylic Slather House

Shock & Awe

Hard luck with the Nothing Beast, but if it's any consolation when I first saw it I though "Awesome conversion" :). The kind of mossy texture on it puts me in mind of the beasties from Stranger Things.

Speaking of moss your Neverborn Herald and Bad Juju are particularly nice to my eyes. You've really captured the natural look of the sculpts. Shame about the seam-line on Juju's leg. Some of those plastics are an right pain in that regard. The joins can be so close to perfect that it actually makes them more annoying to fill than if they were massive. 

• Like 1

On 2018/4/10 at 1:23 AM, lusciousmccabe said:

Hard luck with the Nothing Beast, but if it's any consolation when I first saw it I though "Awesome conversion" :). The kind of mossy texture on it puts me in mind of the beasties from Stranger Things.

Speaking of moss your Neverborn Herald and Bad Juju are particularly nice to my eyes. You've really captured the natural look of the sculpts. Shame about the seam-line on Juju's leg. Some of those plastics are an right pain in that regard. The joins can be so close to perfect that it actually makes them more annoying to fill than if they were massive. 

It's ironic, but a lot of people like my messed up Nothing Beast. I've grown to love him too. 

Not sure which model you are referring to in the NB as "Herald". Bad Juju is one of my pride and joy models. The mold line does irritate me though. That is one of my great weaknesses as a modeler right now, figuring out how to spot mold lines and fill gaps. I've only been at this for about a year, so my aim this year is to get better at gap filling and mold line removal. 

Thanks for the feedback!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

Long time no see, Malifaux. 

It's been a difficult few years, but I'm back into painting... so it's time to start chucking up pictures of my recent stuff. 

Hit me with some feedback if you see techniques I need to work on ;) 

Here's my SE Pandora (as you can see, I left her hands and box in the default "smoke translucent" state) 

large.IMG_4363.jpg.0ce7809ebb9770c38ca0c

Then I moved onto the Vintage version - made this one blonde for a bit of a change

large.IMG_4364.jpg.288901c8cdd395591cb62

and Pandora isn't having any fun if she doesn't bring the little psycho Candy with her - went with an "Alice" from Alice in Wonderland theme there.

large.IMG_4365.jpg.fb357f77864aa6c96e25a

Then I made up a pair of Miss Anne's for my Rollins Crew - need to fix the eyebrows on the one on the right... she looks a bit...shocked?

large.IMG_4368.jpg.08003b2605ff531d7735f

After that it was McTavish and the Gators for Zoraida 

large.IMG_4369.jpg.b8ef21854bdaa6bdc05calarge.IMG_4372.jpg.9a59b5574560d21eae2ff

Then I finally got to my Alt Lazarus - which I only got to paint an homage to Shockwave from the Transformers. 

large.IMG_4375.jpg.1f0c8255e95794e56379a

Then I painted some Guild Autopsies... which were originally meant for Tara... but, well, 3e took that away from Karina, so c'est la vie to that plan :)

large.IMG_4382.jpg.2e48c74ac709d8b47b735

And, finally, the model I finished last night - the Forgotten Marshal. He came out more suave than I intended - especially for a Resser model

large.IMG_4378.jpg.cb4a7e4d703a9456cbc3d

So there's my mini bomb that covers all my work from the start of Corona till now. It has been a long, strange two years! here's hoping for stability of some sort in '22

Edited by Shock & Awe
fixed picture links
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • Shock & Awe changed the title to Shock & Awe's Acrylic Slather House
On 9/9/2017 at 6:52 AM, Shock & Awe said:

The issue I am juggling now is my range of paints vs the new models I want to buy.  I have to budget my money, and it's hard to save on models to buy more paint... but then not have enough to paint.  But I am slowly building up my collection of paints as well and I think that may help with my ability to put that distance in there.  

Just because there are a lot of pre-mixed nuances for sale doesn’t mean that you have to get a huuuge collection. It’s nice to have some for the colours you use more than others, amd those that are hard to mix, but you only need 5 colours in your collection to create any nuance out there. Indeed having a limited palette and forcing yourself to mix paint is one of the best decisions you can make in order to improve your skills.

Just take a look at this guy

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

• 4 weeks later...

Got most of my Witches and Woes set painted up this month. 

Started with this guy... I'm happy with him, but he really made me realize I need to move away from high contrast (I'm assuming that is the right term, if not, please correct me.) The separation between the dark and light areas was too drastic. Still, I like some of the highlighting I did (tried to completely avoid my dry brushing crutch).

large.IMG_4576.jpg.a38983189bbd829e7bd35

So then I moved onto the Poltergeist. I tried to focus on assuming the light source was coming from the upper right (from my perspective, upper left from the model's perspective) and highlight lighter as I moved toward spots where the light was hitting more directly. Not perfect, but I'm starting to get a clearer idea of how to do this.

large.IMG_4561.jpg.0f5cd1e57adfd93af3be8

Then I went onto the next Sorrow and tried my hand at NMM. This was my first attempt at it, so please give me some tips on how to do it better next time. 

large.IMG_4577.jpg.e96a379985b252e3bd468

With one Sorrow left I decided to add in making a GLOW effect. I made a sphere out of epoxy and stuck it into the hollow underneath the model to make a kind of "magic orb" that's causing him to float around - then tried to make it seem like that was casting a glow onto the ground. I also used the NMM method from the last model, and some directional highlighting to pile up all my challenges for this month. How did it come out?

large.IMG_4573.jpg.49f61ddd2e3052e725a83

• Like 3

On 12/27/2021 at 5:18 PM, Regelridderen said:

Just because there are a lot of pre-mixed nuances for sale doesn’t mean that you have to get a huuuge collection. It’s nice to have some for the colours you use more than others, amd those that are hard to mix, but you only need 5 colours in your collection to create any nuance out there. Indeed having a limited palette and forcing yourself to mix paint is one of the best decisions you can make in order to improve your skills.

Just take a look at this guy

Thank you very much for the advice! I watched the video (and several others after it) and now have a wealth of other things to try out now. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Shock & Awe said:

Thank you very much for the advice! I watched the video (and several others after it) and now have a wealth of other things to try out now. 

Marco is a hurricane of inspiration 😊

And I know all about juggling your hobby budget between miniatures and paint stuff (and your other hobbies).

One of the great things about faux is that a keyword is a very contained project. So they’re great for setting yourself a goal; a technique to try out or a certain colour scheme to add a couple of extra colours to your collection or trying out a new brand.

BTW your Woes are coming along great. 

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 15.05.2022 at 20:46, Shock & Awe said:

большой.Rougarou1.jpg.28b2c070ef91f099b01d

Пытался использовать здесь схему «серый волк», и серый оказался слишком светлым. Живи и учись:)

Good job! The only thing is that you need to clean the seams, but in this work they are not very conspicuous

• 2 months later...