Monthly painting challenge 2017 -- September

prof_bycid

Okay, so I'm calling Miss Deed done.  That makes 18SS this month.

I messed up glueing her right leg and it was kicked up a bit.  So when I thought about how to paint her, two things were a factor: How am I going to compensate for the leg, and what style am I aiming for. 

The answer to one came after the answer for two - I wanted a full on old school cowboy look for her.  I saw a picture recently of a muddy jacket and I wanted to give that a shot... and I wanted to stick with one brown and try mixing in colors with it to get variation.  So it's really only two major paints at work; Averland Sunset and Mournfang brown, just with random other paints mixed in.  I like the overall end result. 

The answer then to question 1 was, where did the mud come from?  I tried to make a cracked earth look for the base and I'm relatively happy with how it turned out. 

What are your thoughts? 

large.59ba80435508e_MissDeed1.jpg.6481cc

large.59ba804f9b456_MissDeed3.jpg.54cc34

• Like 7

Here are work in progress photographs of my Wind Gamin.  The idea is to make them look like they are flying around clouds, high above the landscape found on an old issue of Dragon magazine.  I have the nucleus of the clouds attached to hide the piano wire holding them up.  I will add cotton to this cloud center with the hopes that it will appear more dense in the middle and diffuse outwards.  It will at least give me a strong core to glue the rest of the cloud to.  The cloud nuclei are lichen sprayed with watered-down PVA, then covered in crazy glue, then primed white.  

... and they didn't upload.  Back in a few ...

Still not working.  Darn.  Will try again tomorrow, and see if the Wyrd computer goblins are still there.

large.2017Sept_WindGamin_WIP1_comp.jpg.f711c87248ea00a8aae95d166b6c1ac0.jpglarge.2017Sept_WindGamin_WIP2_comp.jpg.05ef4cf06537c1f638f5cb819b68f46e.jpg

Edited by prof_bycid
Got photos to upload---1 at a time worked
  • Like 6

I got my Grootslang all painted up.  That's 3 of 7 for the month, and I'm at 24SS so far.

I know what you're thinking though, "Why did you make a huge model taller??"  Well, I read up on Grootslang, found out he hoards diamonds, and I liked the idea of a muddy mound of diamonds.  I think it came out more or less how I pictured it, and I like the end result, but I know it's not going to be for everyone :)

What do you think?  

large.59c09730528aa_Grootslang1.jpg.3c7flarge.59c0972864ae1_Grootslang2.jpg.f0e3

• Like 6

Lots of great work this month!  

Welcome @Shock & Awe.

I should have the tracking sheet up to date now.  Into the final stretch for this month---it is going to be a busy weekend for painting, although you still have the following Saturday to finish up this month's pledges.  My plan (tentative enough that I should put quotation marks around it) is to finish up September models this weekend, assemble some in the final week, and be ready to put a brush to them on Sunday Oct. 1.  

Not by best work (or my best photos... couldn't figure what was up with my lighting today) but I'm calling the Midnight Stalker done.  That's 4 models for a total of 32SS this month.  I'm thinking I will fall short a bit though.  I'll get Talos done, for sure, and perhaps one Thalarian Queller, but not both.  C'est la vie.  

large.S1290015.jpg.62c9048d4b9683bbd02cdlarge.S1290011.jpg.e8f7ac69373db2b1bde94

• Like 6

So, a bit late to the party. About 2,5 months, actually. Haven't touched a brush or mini or pot of paint in July and August (work, sick, work, tired, some family trouble, and ofc lazyness). So I now used both my mulligans. And I didn't pledge anything in September either, so I don't know if I'm still in.

Doesn't matter though to me, because last weekend I went on an assembling-and-priming-and-basing-and-finally-some-painting-binge. The result so far is this:

iMQRlHn.jpg

This one I consider to be done already, although it took way longer than I expected. Srsly, fck orange.
MpzbMVe.jpg

Quite far along are Nightmare Tara (some details on the base and in the face are missing) and the Waldgeists (no highlighting done yet):
Xhg1otB.jpg

Hfd0uzf.jpg

While I had a nice wood brown on my palette, I painted Graves' stick. And a mixture of Citadel's Nurgle Rot and Typhus Corrosion makes for an appropriately disgusting sewage:
0YT1dW0.jpg

And then there is this guy (and his little friends). Still not sure what to do with him. I started out with matte spraying him, to use as a primer. If I were very lazy I'd say that actually doesn't look too bad already. But I want to do something with it, paint some parts thinly, something, I don't know. Plus I'm afraid I might screw it up. Will have to do some experimenting on the sprues beforehand, which takes time which I don't know if I want to spend. We'll see.
DHXfGtc.jpg

There's other stuff ready for painting now, that is further back in the queue. Alt Nekima and the Autumn Knights, or the Mature Nephilim. Still, let's see what I can maybe get finished before the end of the month:
- The Gorar - 3 SS
- Nightmare Tara - 15 SS
- Waldgeists - 3x 6 SS = 18 SS
- Mr. Graves - 8 SS

So, since the month is almost over (I won't be able to paint today, maybe tomorrow, the rest will have to be during the week after work), a best case scenario pledge (if still possible) would be 44 SS.

• Like 4

Here are my finished models for September.  I am happy with the basing of the wind gamin, but not the paint job.  It needed more contrast, but I am moving on.  The librarian is okay, but a bit bland, paint-wise.  Kandara is a joy to paint, look at, and play.  Can't see any of the shading or details in this photo.  Must learn to take good photographs someday.  The one thing that did show through is the metal reflection effect on her bracelets and leg thingees, which I am glad of.  The idea with her was to have her floating just above the floor, with the runes in the flow glowing brightly underneath her, and fading with distance from her.  Base is by microarts studio/cmon.  

(2 x 4 SS) + (2 x 7 SS) = 22 SS for September.

large.2017Sept_WindGamin.jpg.ee3dc9fe937a57b8b1fb801bfc2edf06.jpglarge.2017Sept_Librarian.jpg.744a9d3688d91164ede2fafacf64e02c.jpglarge.2017Sept_Candara.jpg.95907039670c2c0c6231f6289eaf0434.jpg

• Like 7

I got Talos painted up.  I've got some touch up work to finish (especially on his back), but he's 99% done.  That makes 5 models for a total of 40SS this month.  

As soon as I saw the art for this model I thought, "rusty old furnace" so that's what I was aiming for.  I know it could use a bit more contrast, but I had a lot of fun playing with and learning how to make 'rust'  

large.59c86769dbe65_Talos1.jpg.9d2def432large.59c867732bcd7_Talos2.jpg.838982bed

• Like 7