New careers

Le gob

Hi everyone,
There's plenty of mage and figthter carreer options, but the social ones are a bit lacking. Could we get some more?

Among the things I'm eager to get:
- guild lawyer
- someone from the high society
- bureaucrat (Mr Tannen/ Amina Naidu style)
- burglar
- bandit
- smuggler
- journalist
- investigator
- beaconer beckoner

I know a book about the guild is expected and some of them might be planned already.

What are the new carreers you'd like to get?

Scientist-types would be cool too...a luck-driven archaeologist is an OBVIOUS example, although I suppose Academic and Engineer might cover those, at least in concept.

I definitely like the idea of an investigator, journalist, and smuggler.  What would a "beaconer" be?

2nd ed Academic would make a great lawyer, Wastrels often represent high society, burglars, bandits, and smugglers are all criminals (just different skills). I think the Guild book is coming out next, and I think the Reporter and some type of investigator will be in it, along with some type of sharpshooter. One of the things I love about TtB is that almost any Pursuit can be used to give unique twists to characters with similar "jobs". A lawyer could be an academic, a criminal, a wastrel, or even an Infiltrator.  A burglar could be a Forgotten, a sniper could be an academic, etc.

• Like 1

Agree with explorator.  A lot of those can be covered by one of the core pursuits or a mixture.  Not saying they might come out with something in the future *like how Tinkerer and Engineer overlap a bit but have some key differences*, but at the very least they can be covered as is.

Honestly a sharpshooter with longarms is about the only thing missing of the primary guns right now as we have a Boomer for Shotguns, a Gunfighter for pistols, and several pursuits can help melee in different ways but none currently directly associate with long arms in the same manner.  There are several general talents that can match up well but no pursuit.  That all said I suspect we will see something in the Guild Book.

That all said I am not to sure about the Beckoner.  They are pretty much tied to the Hungering Darkness.  Perhaps as an Advance pursuit but not as a core one *as once you become a beckoner you basically are one, no going back*.

51 minutes ago, EnternalVoid said:

That all said I am not to sure about the Beckoner.  They are pretty much tied to the Hungering Darkness.  Perhaps as an Advance pursuit but not as a core one *as once you become a beckoner you basically are one, no going back*.

The beckoner would likely come in From Nightmares if anywhere.

• 3 weeks later...

So for me from what I have seen

Don't know if they would be advanced or not but I'd like to see samurai, moon shinobi, gokudo, anatsu sniper, shieldbearer, thunder archer  ( thread the needle is awesome), and more related to tyrants.

Also as odd as it may sound a chef would be fun to as  well as something like a psychologist, and swamp witch character 

On 8/31/2017 at 1:20 PM, Le gob said:

Hi everyone,
There's plenty of mage and fighter career options, but the social ones are a bit lacking. Could we get some more?

Among the things I'm eager to get:
- guild lawyer - that does seem interesting, doesn't it?
- someone from the high society - that's just character background
- bureaucrat (Mr Tannen/ Amina Naidu style) - that does seem interesting, doesn't it?
- burglar - basically just a Criminal
- bandit - basically just a Criminal
- smuggler - basically just a Criminal
- journalist - I try to avoid Pursuits that are actually jobs, which is what journalist would fall under. But the core concept seems interesting if you can move it away from the profession, doesn't it?
- investigator - *wobbles hand*
- beaconer beckoner - basically just a Performer with a Brilliance addiction

I know a book about the guild is expected and some of them might be planned already.

What are the new careers you'd like to get?

I like green text.

• Like 1

Piggybacking on @Mason's comments:

• Lawyer: let's see.. good with paperwork, knows procedural stuff, lives and dies by contacts and ability to argue.
  • high society: Wastrels typically come from there, and backgrounds are wide open. Are you thinking like the "Noble" class in Star Wars d20? Features of that class: knows diplomatic stuff, lives and dies by contacts and ability to present themselves.
  • Bureaucrat: Good with paperwork, knows procedural stuff, basically a lawyer that doesn't argue?

These have a lot of common ground and can be answered with a single Pursuit that focuses on contacts and procedural knowledge, with Talent branching that gives Lawyers non-magical arguing (or access to Procedural Magic similar to Tinkerers' access to Animate Construct), and the other branch of Talent selection allowing for things like easier access to supplies and personnel (requisitioning) and tracking of others' supply requests (useful for tracking illicit activities, but may be tricky to shape into something within the game without the FM planning for it). If you're a high society bureaucrat, you're like a noble, if not actually one. Low society bureaucrats are the ones who handle the leg work, the paperwork, and in some cases act as a sounding board for their betters. Middle society would give you assessors, customs agents, law enforcement, supply yards, etc. Basically someone that would work for (or against) Overseers in support of [Faction] operations.

See the lawyer I can easily see using some type of contract magic filled with loopholes for him but iron clad for everyone else. Also can make contracts with the party (buff effects or some healing)or employers ( might be a clause that generates more script). That is just the combat. I can also see an ability that would allow them to discard a twist card to reverse a ruling (instead of a skill failing it passes). Or using a social skill in place of defence so that the enemy can be lawyered into missing them. And using a social skill in place of another one in skill challenges like the overseer.  

Now add the guild part to it they could easily be used for either chasing criminals or even using their talents against other guild employees  ( kinda like an oversight committee.) Could be part of the elite division since I didn't see much info about them.

Investigator and journalist could easily be done as a detective. Think mix of merc and a legal version of the criminal.

If they went the Lawyer route I could see the division of talents being between the "Magical" side of it and the actual lawyer side of it.  So when you have a choice of this talent or that, one being more the Guild Lawyer or the Arcanist Amina Naidu abilities while the other is more actual lawyer talents *Or at least non magical ones*.

That said I still think you could make a pretty good Lawyer with just the current pursuits if you were willing to hope about a bit

Journalist and investigator could be rolled up together into one. Both are people who look into things and figure out the various facts behind them. Could make for an interesting social class, with access to Sherlock scans and abilities that allow you to insinuate innuendo into conversation and learn info on things without people figuring out what you are doing. 

No idea what the lawyer would play like, but considering how they are one of the most popular units for the guild, I would bet money on them being either a pursuit or an advances pursuit. 

Personally I am curious about what the new tarot will be (if there is one) and what it's backstory keystone would be. (perhaps place of birth.)

By the way does anyone know how to change signatures?

18 hours ago, Xavian and Deathgrip said:

Journalist and investigator could be rolled up together into one. Both are people who look into things and figure out the various facts behind them. Could make for an interesting social class, with access to Sherlock scans and abilities that allow you to insinuate innuendo into conversation and learn info on things without people figuring out what you are doing.

That's what I was thinking. But then I also thought about it some more and realized that with the professional levels available in this time period, a professional investigator was literally anyone paid to look into something.

Which means all the Fated are investigators if they're being paid to check something out. Specialization (i.e. Sherlock-type investigators, career detectives) still wasn't a requirement, though it certainly would help if the "investigator" in question had a consistent record of finding the truth of matters, provided the people hiring investigators want the truth as opposed to a truth that would forward their agenda.

I would not be surprised if Mason's being cagey in his inline responses because there is something along those lines either on its way to production or currently in test. All of the people who know for certain are most likely under an NDA so won't be able to comment--but if its still in development and test, then there's still time to help shape it by planting ideas.