Next Allegiances

RumbleMunkey

Hey all, with the GenCon (and elsewhere) revelations of two additional upcoming allegiances, I'm having trouble convincing others to buy in now. They're feeling like they'd rather wait and see if in of the two future allegiances appeals more. Any hints on when those two might come out? It was unexpected to get spoilers this early when the backerkit is still rolling.

12 hours ago, RumbleMunkey said:

Yeah, that would make sense. I'm just impatient to get in on the game, and they're willing to wait for the new Allegiances.

I hear you. We've got someone who is Thunders mad, so I thnk Three Knigdoms will push him over the edge into playing the game. Alas, being so far away, he'll probably watch us play until the Allegiance is out.

5 minutes ago, retnab said:

A little while longer at least, they've said they'll keep it up for a while after the official shipping prices are announced.

This is good...the longer backerkit stays open the more I have been able to add...one unit at a time...;)...but am now up to to dual commander and almost full strength...Court Of Two needs to be at least a year away to give me any chance at all of getting two factions fully painted

• 2 weeks later...

Considering that there's Earth and Malifaux Allegiances, I'm guessing Three Kingdoms will be the Earth Allegiance and Kimon/Oni will be the Malifaux Allegiance. Though this might be a first time case of a dual Allegiance master crossing the Earth/Malifaux border, but I wouldn't count on it.

I like the idea that the Ten Thunders, a criminal organization, meld the Oni and Three Kingdoms styles, while the actual Three Kingdoms army remains separate from Oni.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, MetaphoricDragn said:

I admit it can  be kinda frustrating to see the new  stuff that will eventually be coming.  The 3 Kingdoms, Kimon, and Court of 2 models all look amazing, and if given the choice to have one of them to start with, it seems likely I would have chosen one of them @_@ 

My solution is to just go with everything.

I'll probably wind up with an allegiance box from every Malifaux allegiance, even if I don't completely follow each Allegiance. The fact that the Allegiance boxes are complete 1 commander armies is a huge boon, and dual Allegiance commanders let you bring one you've dabbled in to a 2 commander game.

I'm now curious how dual commanders will work with more than 2 Allegiances per side. Horomatangi lets you take the full scrip of either Cult and Hordes for one company. Will we have Cult/Kimon, Cult/Court, Hordes/Kimon, Hordes/Court, Court/Kimon as well? Or will it be more selective and we only get dual Allegiance commanders linking some Allegiances but not others?

You'll probably never see anything close to all game combinations possible by dual commanders -- over time that's just too much. We're already missing 4 combinations (Empire/Cult, Empire/Hordes, Aby/Cult, Aby/Hordes), and as the Guild and Court line up, we'll be missing that combo, too... not to mention things like Empire/Court. As we add more Allegiances, it will only get more pronounced.

That said, you should certainly expect more in the future... just don't expect every combination.

54 minutes ago, Aaron said:

You'll probably never see anything close to all game combinations possible by dual commanders -- over time that's just too much. We're already missing 4 combinations (Empire/Cult, Empire/Hordes, Aby/Cult, Aby/Hordes), and as the Guild and Court line up, we'll be missing that combo, too... not to mention things like Empire/Court. As we add more Allegiances, it will only get more pronounced.

That said, you should certainly expect more in the future... just don't expect every combination.

I both want ALL THE THINGS! while simultaneously knowing I cannot handle all the things ;-;

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/7/2018 at 3:47 AM, Saduhem said:

Has any art from the Kimon/Oni allegiance been shown?

Not that I know of - the only info we have on the Kimon is a sentence or two pretty much confirming that they'll be an Allegiance in TOS. The closest you can probably get to pics is by looking at the Oni found in Malifaux. I like to think that Ohaguro Bettari, the Obsidian Oni, Yokai and Jorogumo in particular would inform the design of the Allegiance as a whole. :) 

On 4/18/2018 at 10:38 PM, Rathnard said:

Not that I know of - the only info we have on the Kimon is a sentence or two pretty much confirming that they'll be an Allegiance in TOS. The closest you can probably get to pics is by looking at the Oni found in Malifaux. I like to think that Ohaguro Bettari, the Obsidian Oni, Yokai and Jorogumo in particular would inform the design of the Allegiance as a whole. :) 

Events from the Obsidian Gate event also suggest that their forces will contain Arabian Djinn, Hindu Asura and Chinese Yoagai, and hopefully even some European demons. Albeit I must admit that I cannot confirm the last.  

Banasuva also seems to be one of such creatures. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

There is plan for a 2-player starter set and 2 allegiances (Three Kingdoms and Kimon). I would like to know when these will be released compared to the four allegiances that were in the kickstarter during retail. It would allow me to decide on how much money I can spend in the near future. Three Kingdoms and Kimon allegiances sound like the allegiances I would prefer to collect before the other allegiances.

12 hours ago, retnab said:

I don't know about the starter pack but i'd be shocked if any more allegiances dropped before next year.

Completely agree. TOS and the first four Allegiances look to have an official release this year, probably around Gencon since that seems to be a thing games companies do. 

The rumoured Guild/Court Starter box is something we have almost no info on - just a couple of art pieces and IIRC, a few *possible* prototype sculpts shown at previous conventions. Beyond that, we've no idea where this set is at in terms of production, so it's anyone's guess as to when it's coming out. If we're really lucky it'll be Gencon, but I'm not holding my breath. 

The Three Kingdoms/Kimon will presumably be part of the next major expansion for TOS, likely with it's own book full of rules and background. If Wyrd follows the pattern they have with Malifaux then I'd expect to see a Gencon 2019 release. But that assumes they don't decide to stagger major releases with Malifaux (ie. Malifaux book one year, TOS book the next). I think it's very unlikely they'll do that, since surely they'd want to maintain consistent releases for both systems year round? But then again, who knows what nefarious plans they're brewing? ;)

• Agree 3

Honestly I wouldn't be a fan of staggering game releases over years. Infinity really suffers from only one content drop every 2 years - it's hard to maintain a groups interest when there's a year with nothing new. Then if they push some releases forward to build hype, they reduce the new content in the book (like CB releasing the Druze army list before Uprising and USAriadna before Human Sphere) and need to do it again with the next book and it turns into a cycle of needing to drop the next books content before it's release to maintain hype.