Wave 5 Master Upgrades: Ressers

WWHSD

Can't he summon them too? Corpses usually turn up and their abilities are shortranged and often useless turn 1 aince there are no markers so early so just popping some down turns two and three to deny some of the most common schemes seems pretty useful.

5 hours ago, Bengt said:

I disagree strongly, undead are not the same as they were when alive, killing any of the showgirls and reanimating them should just result in Dead Doxies. This was just a very lazy way of giving Seamus some more models to play with (which might be needed mechanically, I don't have an opinion about that either way).

I also disagree strongly. Just because Seamus made Doxies from Showgirls doesn't mean Showgirl always = Doxy. Seamus created Rotten Belles from callgirls, if your supposition is correct then only callgirls= belle, and yet Seamus tried to make Perdita into a belle. 

2 minutes ago, Fetid Strumpet said:

I also disagree strongly. Just because Seamus made Doxies from Showgirls doesn't mean Showgirl always = Doxy. Seamus created Rotten Belles from callgirls, if your supposition is correct then only callgirls= belle, and yet Seamus tried to make Perdita into a belle. 

As far as I remember Seamus fought Perdita and mused about reanimating her afterward, there is no indication in the story what the result would have been if he has succeeded so I don't think that argument hold any water. 

My principal point is that they wouldn't be the same. Dead Doxy is the closest potential result from existing models, at least for the minor Showgirls. The more fate-enthused characters (whatever we should call them), e.g. Cassandra, Carlos, would perhaps result in something new and unique. There is absolutely no support for them remaining the same.

A bunch of models were released at the same time as these upgrades, if Wyrd thought Seamus needed "fixing" and were willing to put any kind of effort in it, they could have made some new belles. Instead they went with an incredibly unfluffy and lazy solution.

P.s. I don't like Tara having undead Death Marshals either. :P

The point of cross faction hiring is to make you start a new faction and buy more stuff. I don't think the story is the sole driving factor for any cross hires because then there should be story elements preventing some masters to hire in-faction models. There were several masters who got the option to hire or summon new out of faction stuff with these upgrades, it's how the upgrade deck is supposed to sell new models. I don't think it's lazier than Marcus hiring beasts of any faction. That interaction isn't thematic either since alligators don't have the beast tag which is pretty darn odd when poison gamin (gamin, who had fluff of being magically created constructs and not beasts) got the beast tag. It's all balance and rules interactions with a little bit of story to go with it.

Besides, corpse and scrap markers let you summon the weirdest shit from dead people with no real story to support it. How do a couple of dead metal gamin turn into a teddy, where does the Widow Weaver get the fur? How does dead guild guards turn into a rogue necromancy? How does a guild hound being expunged turn into a flesh construct? Seamus summons belles from any dead model when he only does it from attractive ladies in the stories. It's mechanics. They probably didn't feel like producing several new kits for Seamus or they realized that those kits would be far too good for Nicodem and help him more than Seamus.

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, spafe said:

I like the fact that it opens up other stuff for seamus to hire... but then I'm still very new to this so complex tactics are well over my head when considering the balance issues...

Performers are awesome. Don't mind me is a really good ability in a lot of scheme pools and they have some pretty good actions on their card. Their main drawback is dying easily but if you can just summon more that won't be a big drawback. Apart from that I'm not sure if the others bring super unique combos, don't know the showgirls by heart.

• Like 1

I like it just for the number of times (playing as other factions) I've said to myself "I wish I had hired a performer" or rarely "I wish I hadn't".

As far as fluff goes, necromancy is getting a bit unreliable in Malifaux these days, what with some corpses getting up and behaving as though they had free will (draugr, Emeline Bellerose, shieldbearers, etc.). I would not be too surprised that Seamus had been trying to make a dead doxy or a rotten belle out of the usual source material but the corpse reasserted enough of its prior personality to botch the process. I would certainly be interested in seeing a weaker summoner--probably Karina because she's both supposed to be brilliant and very, very behind the curve mechanically--gain some mechanic to reflect that unreliability, see Forgotten Marshal for details. (And to rework her card, because a red joker for a mere death marshal? really? there are better guild marshals these days.)

• 2 weeks later...

This might have been discussed above, but if I played seamus, Carlos vasquez would be looking pretty interesting.

Living Showgirl henchman for hire. The guy seems to be capable of some obscene damage (min 5), and I think there was a new Resurr model that also did stuff with fire for potential synergy.

It's possible seamus might also be able to find a use for the ht5 blocking hazardous terrain markers Carlos can poop out (2 with my little helper, and which he can move as he walks).

Just saying, seamus' act might benefit from some man-candy...

• Like 2

Yes, there's been some chatter about what they can provide Seamus with; I've heard at least one podcast featuring some excitement about combining Carlos with Lampads. This does seem like it invests a lot in models that don't normally synergise of buff Seamus, and I think Carlos will sorely miss his personal Stunt Double upgrade... but it could be worth exploring.

I'd like to bring Cassandra in to copy some of our nasty trademark Resser spells. Lure, Take your Meds, Weigh Sins, or Whispers from Beyond are all very appealing, especially so if you cast one of them from the trigger on her saber attack for free. Her (0) Southern Charm coupled with My Little Helper's one off use seems particularly nasty to deal with. 

Maybe Cassandra, Carlos and 1-2 Lampads could produce some vicious Burning results, but that's a heck of a lot of soulstones spent trying to make Burning really work. Also since it's in Ressers, the opponent will often bring condition removal to cover some of the numerous debuffs we have access to. I might have to try it out to see for myself.