Wave 5 upgrade hype thread.

4thstringer

Lady J:

2ss, limited - gives pine box but with CA7 and (1) CA7 vs Df attack action that can targeted only buried model

Dita:

1SS - (1) action to discard scheme markers

1SS - permanent +2 to initiative, if lose initiative, draw a cart

Nellie:

2SS - if you have more VP then opposing crew - models heals 1 damage then activates and + to WP duels. (0) change unreveal scheme

2SS - aura to get +1 evidence if eneme place a marker(in any way, not matter was it interact or not), trigger to propaganda - target gains +1 Fees and the best (0) end evidence condition and draw as many cards as was a value on the condition

35 minutes ago, MinimumPhase said:

The cyborg can only borrow once.

That doesn't sound too limiting, because the non-construct models tend to have better raw stats. Avoids some Ca sillines, when you can't spam actions with borrowed Ca 8 from a Metal Gamin. Death Marshals could still be pretty annoying, especially since Hoffman could also copy Pine Box with OSA.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, MinimumPhase said:

Lucius gets an upgrade that gives him arcane reservoir, and the ability to discard a card to draw one.  If the drawn card is worse, he can discard it to draw another.

His other upgrade has three abilities.  The first is that he can discard an opponent's scheme marker at the start of his activation if he has more vp. The second is that when he kills a model with Devil's Deal, he gets another soul stone.  The third is an action that can give a target the condition that it cannot cheat fate.

Oh my stars!

More than I had dared to dream!

The enhanced Arcane Reservoir is 2SS, the other one is 1SS. These upgrades have, in my opinion at least, the potential to push Lucius to the top tier. He's actually now a better support Master than Colette with more useful scheme and Soulstone manipulation tricks - who would have thought we'd ever say that?

Plus you get to spend the game calling your opponent a dim bulb with a straight face (Dim Bulb is the condition applied to prevent the enemy model cheating fate).

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, PanzerHarris said:

The enhanced Arcane Reservoir is 2SS, the other one is 1SS. These upgrades have, in my opinion at least, the potential to push Lucius to the top tier. He's actually now a better support Master than Colette with more useful scheme and Soulstone manipulation tricks - who would have thought we'd ever say that?

Plus you get to spend the game calling your opponent a dim bulb with a straight face (Dim Bulb is the condition applied to prevent the enemy model cheating fate).

I would have argued lucius as better than Colette since the Jan errata.

4 minutes ago, wizuriel said:

I'm kind of concerned with abilities that punish opponents from being behind. That kind of mechanic is usually not healthy in a game

It's maybe not that useful in a tournament game, as it doesn't help you win, it's often just 'win more'.

But depends greatly on the available schemes of course.

1 hour ago, Myyrä said:

That doesn't sound too limiting, because the non-construct models tend to have better raw stats. Avoids some Ca sillines, when you can't spam actions with borrowed Ca 8 from a Metal Gamin. Death Marshals could still be pretty annoying, especially since Hoffman could also copy Pine Box with OSA.

And your opponent, for all they know, could be facing Lady Justice and her new coffin as well. Is this what it was like in the very early days? Opponent declaring Guild meant a high-percentage threat of a bury crew?

46 minutes ago, PanzerHarris said:

Nellie is just fine for that too.

"Scathing Review--you're a stupidhead!"

"Nuh-uh...eighteen."

"Yah-huh...nineteen."

"Fine...*writing down Humiliation* but I'm still not answering any questions."

[It was late game and we were sleepy. :mellow:]

I am happy to see someone got the card draw I was hoping for.

51 minutes ago, Tris said:

It's maybe not that useful in a tournament game, as it doesn't help you win, it's often just 'win more'.

But depends greatly on the available schemes of course.

VPF is still useful for breaking ties. 

In a casual game though the upgrade just punishes people for being behind. Either healing your models or just removing a scheme for free will also greatly hamper an opponent already behind. 

Being behind in VP does not necessarily mean being behind in the game. There are also schemes you score at the end of the game.

Although, the upgrade could also punish a player who is actually behind in the game, but that could be said about a lot of abilities.

6 minutes ago, Myyrä said:

I'd still posit that Hoffman got much more than Lucius.

I'm sure he did. It will be odd to use a 6ss model that isn't a warden. It's too much to contemplate, though, being able to make non-constructs into stompybots. That overwhelms everything else.

The VP thing plays into my style of picking schemes that score early, even though I'm not as terribly slow as I used to be while playing. (Except for learning Nellie.) Off-topic, it was proposed that the Always scheme revert to being an end-of-game scheme, which while it is not my style I absolutely support. Full credit to he who suggested it first.

What other abilities specially punish someone for being behind?

While I agree it is possible to be behind in VP but not the game (example having covert breakthrough as a scheme), just having a scheme like that will make it harder for you to score the 2nd scheme or strategy (potentially).

Personally would have rather seen the upgrade be the other way around, it gives you a bonus if you're behind in VP. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wizuriel said:

While I agree it is possible to be behind in VP but not the game (example having covert breakthrough as a scheme), just having a scheme like that will make it harder for you to score the 2nd scheme or strategy (potentially).

Personally would have rather seen the upgrade be the other way around, it gives you a bonus if you're behind in VP. 

But that is the schtick of Ten Thunders. We shouldn't mimic them.

For example, Nico's summoning works like that to an extent, the more models the opponent loses the more Nico can summon. It also works under other circumstances, but it will still beat his opponent while he is down.

The effect doesn't sound awfully strong to begin with, so I don't really care.

6 minutes ago, Gnomezilla said:

I'm sure he did. It will be odd to use a 6ss model that isn't a warden. It's too much to contemplate, though, being able to make non-constructs into stompybots. That overwhelms everything else.

I'm not actually sure being able to turn other models to constructs is actually stronger than being able to make that Peacekeeper's armor unignorable.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Myyrä said:

I'm not actually sure being able to turn other models to constructs is actually stronger than being able to make that Peacekeeper's armor unignorable.

Oh I am so happy about that I have no words. A guardian with patchwork plating and way more tomes than me solo tanked and dismantled Nellie's peacekeeper. That was just embarrassing. Not seeing that happen will be very nice.