Interact-based Henchman Hardcore using 3-marker Squatter's Rights?

iamfanboy

So I got to thinking about a more Interact-based Henchman Hardcore around the core of a 3 Squat Mark version of Squatter's Rights - with three, it would be a case of only one player can score from it a turn, making it a much more tense affair, with control circling around the middle. But I started wondering what two Schemes to pair with it? It seems like there's nothing that quite fits...

Until I hit on the idea of having a cut-down version of regular Malifaux, where instead of 5 different Schemes to choose from there were 3 - you still pick two and hide 'em, but now it introduces variables that you can design a list around. Three wasn't enough, though; I wanted two about Interacting with enemies, and two for Scheme Markers. These are the four I was thinking about and why, all of them from GG2017 (mostly because the book ones require reveal/hide and I actually don't care for that mechanic too much).

Tail 'Em: With only four models, it makes moving one out of LOS a difficult proposition - unless you can kill the only models in LOS, it's not too hard to scheme off of, and introduces a reason to NOT take double Henchman lists (I'm really fond of pairing Angel Eyes as leader and Candy w/FGF in HH..)

Accusation : So Don't Mind Me models would be powerhouse choices for this format. Accusation hurts them because their typical game (Not caring about engagement for Interacts) ends up HURTING them - if they can't kill or get away from the model engaging them, they're freebie Accusation scorebait.

Covert Breakthrough: Because deployment zones are so far forward, it's not hard to drop a couple of Scheme Markers to score from this. It also makes an excellent counterbalance for...

Set Up: Oh, gee, your opponent has that one model based around removing counters? Or a Doppelganger? Well, then, this is the Scheme to pick and psyche out that you're going Covert Breakthrough - or do both!

I mean... is this a bad idea? It seems like a much more interesting game than traditional HH which is all about killing and getting in the middle - so it favors tanks and beaters exponentially.

17 hours ago, Gnomezilla said:

Tail 'Em just means automatic 3 points scored against melee crews, thus skewing the pool even further towards shooting.

Our last Henchman Hardcore had Mark for Death as one scheme, which penalized shooty crews and resulted in a lot of melee crews gunning for the full 10 points.

A good point. What about adding Dig Their Graves to the pool? Or Search the Ruins, to keep it even more centralized? Hmm... Search the Ruins... i think I like that better than Covert Breakthrough because we want the action centralized, not really spread out.

Search the Ruins, Accusation, Set Up. Pick two.

1 hour ago, Dogmantra said:

Fingers likes pretty much all of these situations very much.

Wow, yeah, Fingers would be awful - pretty much any Chatty model would close the game down until it's killed, and Fingers takes some killing. Maybe I should ban Chatty, since it kills the entire purpose of this variant? Bonus interacts are one thing, but shutting them down entirely would lead to too many stalemates.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Gnomezilla said:

I can't say. I'd just slap Dampening Field on the offender, but I don't know what options other than blocking LoS other HH crews would have.

Dampening field can't target leaders I think (could be masters). Besides, the other factions aren't as lucky.