Fatemaster/mistress Discussion

Amberleigh

I thought it might be a good idea if I started a topic for other Fatemasters and Fatemistresses to discus their ideas and help with each others snags and issues they might be having.

The threads intended for us to help each other with our fatemastering, discus and delvelop ideas and resolving rules concerns. And of course to share rather special and memorable moments in our campaigns.  And any other things we might wish to discuss.

(Admin, if this is in the wrong secion, I apologise and ask for you to place the thread in the correct location.)

19 minutes ago, CaptianEinsteinAlucard said:

What do you think about the way stealth happens in through the breach? Is it supposed to be multiple flips or one flip and then you way the NPCs against it?

That would depend on the situation that steath is being used. In the case of ongoing challenges it would simply be multiple flips until the challenge is either passed or failed.

In dramatic time however, I would use a duel, a flip compared to the npcs notice tn or highest if there is an npc mob, which would run flips every round and action to maintain stealth. Obviously, if the npc is aware of their presence they would receive a negative flip as the npc would be actively looking for them, or they are being observed. 

Hope that helps :)

23 minutes ago, CaptianEinsteinAlucard said:

I was thinking about how my fated would make construct suits and how they would function mechanically in the confines of the game cause you see people in construct suits like exosuits and things like that

This is something that came up with my previous group. We never really got around to building them. However...

In the new core rulebook, there is actually a contruct building section on page 311, which would be a good place to start. If the fated wish to build an exosuit they could use that section to do so. However though it would likely need soulstone power (these are very expensive) or risky steam powered boilers which if pressure becomes too high might explode..

Instead of the subordinate character rules you could usually use for the construct, make it only usable with a pilot.

I cant really say exactly the best way to do this but thats a good start I think. :)

There's also the steam harness from Into the Steam for a suit of what is effectively robot armour. 

I also made one for my group to find and use. It's pretty beastly but is limited to a built in 2AP attack for combat and limits the number and type skills the fated can use whilst inside it. 

I think I can get a pic of the sheet up if you want to see it?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, sycorax said:

There's also the steam harness from Into the Steam for a suit of what is effectively robot armour. 

I also made one for my group to find and use. It's pretty beastly but is limited to a built in 2AP attack for combat and limits the number and type skills the fated can use whilst inside it. 

I think I can get a pic of the sheet up if you want to see it?

Ah forgot about the harness. Haven't used Into the Steam for a while now.

Here you are...

It took a lot of effort between them to find and then steal the thing in the first place. But i feel it was worth it. 

The engineer/doctor fated uses it to boost his combat power as he only has a few crappy constructs to do that for him. 

As you can see it limits the skills to a certain type. And those skills are set to what the harness has ( those aren't the skill ranks of the fated who uses it)

But the stats are derived from the fated that uses it. I.e. the engineers aspects. Boosted as per the Into the Steam harness. 

If you want to use something similar, remove the aspects and go right ahead. 

Screenshot_20170809-151644.png

• Like 1

Yes indeed. They worked hard to earn it. And all its attacks are 2AP so in effect it makes the user Slow permanently

But yes I had been scaling the enemies because they group are very combat focussed barring the doctor. 

Thing is, we've started over with TTB2e so the thing is gone. 

It's here mostly as an example of a or no suit. 

13 hours ago, sycorax said:

Here you are...

It took a lot of effort between them to find and then steal the thing in the first place. But i feel it was worth it. 

The engineer/doctor fated uses it to boost his combat power as he only has a few crappy constructs to do that for him. 

As you can see it limits the skills to a certain type. And those skills are set to what the harness has ( those aren't the skill ranks of the fated who uses it)

But the stats are derived from the fated that uses it. I.e. the engineers aspects. Boosted as per the Into the Steam harness. 

If you want to use something similar, remove the aspects and go right ahead. 

Screenshot_20170809-151644.png

How did you come up with the official looking bestiary page? I've been looking for a way to do that

I never thought of that thank you so much. Also I was thinking about soulstone weapons aka weapons forged out of soulstone or with soulstone powder and if they would take on magical qualities based on the creator or the first wielder of the weapon and how I would balance the weapon. Any ideas would be appreciated

Tara has a Soulstone sword. That shouldnt be too hard to port across. But then it is a rather unique weapon found in the heart of Obliteration's prison. 

I think the best way to do it would be to choose a standard weapon then apply a fixed magia and 1 or 2 of the more sensible immuto to it and make it a rare find. Like a flaming sword for example. Then just have the fact it's Soulstone based be part of its fluff. 

Or maybe take a look at the trinkets in Under Quarantine. Edict for example. It's a pretty normal gun with a soulstone built into the grip, giving it an extra ability over to other guns. 

• Like 1

Soulstone weapons are quite rare, like Sycorax has said Tara has a soulstone sword but its a very unique weapon.

I havent even concidered the creation of soulstone weapons or soulstone powered weapons. I personally feel they would be too powerful and will likely make the game too much of a shoot first ask later game, bypassing most of the NPC interaction.

2 hours ago, Amberleigh said:

Soulstone weapons are quite rare, like Sycorax has said Tara has a soulstone sword but its a very unique weapon.

I havent even concidered the creation of soulstone weapons or soulstone powered weapons. I personally feel they would be too powerful and will likely make the game too much of a shoot first ask later game, bypassing most of the NPC interaction.

Realistically, wouldn't a soulstone sword just be a regular custom sword that functions as a soul stone with like lade 5+ (Size 5, Quality X)?

3 hours ago, Steamtastic Vagabond said:

Realistically, wouldn't a soulstone sword just be a regular custom sword that functions as a soul stone with like lade 5+ (Size 5, Quality X)?

I feel like there's a big difference between a sword made from soulstone like Tara's and a sword with a soulstone built into it. 

Mechanically, maybe not, but it'd make a huge deal to the story. You could have an entire campaign dedicated around purely being on the run from the dozens of groups trying to take the Soulstone sword from you. Arcanists. Guild. Random mercenary groups. Ressers. They'd all want it, for power or profit. 

Whereas a sword with a soulstone in it is quite a common occurence. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, sycorax said:

I feel like there's a big difference between a sword made from soulstone like Tara's and a sword with a soulstone built into it. 

Mechanically, maybe not, but it'd make a huge deal to the story. You could have an entire campaign dedicated around purely being on the run from the dozens of groups trying to take the Soulstone sword from you. Arcanists. Guild. Random mercenary groups. Ressers. They'd all want it, for power or profit. 

Whereas a sword with a soulstone in it is quite a common occurence. 

I was referring to Tara's sword, but a standard sword infused with a metric crap ton of molten soulstone dust would probably function like a soulstone, but with a really small lade, like 0 or 1.

Also, are we talking about Fatastering, or bickering about soulstone properties. I read it all anyways but I digress.

2 hours ago, Steamtastic Vagabond said:

Also, are we talking about Fatastering, or bickering about soulstone properties. I read it all anyways but I digress.

S'all good buddy.

One of my fated groups will be hitting step 5 very soon.  None of them want the story to end or to start over with new characters... so i came up with a rather bonkers compromise...

We are going to play No Strings Attached PD, with some modifications namely the fated know they are reaching their foretold ends and want a way to avoid them. So they travel to see the witch of the swamp to bargain for their lives. 

When she turns them into dolls as per the PD, their psyches under go massive trauma...

And this is the bonkers part i came up with... A new character is generated using the Tarot, but all skill points must be put into the same skills as they had. And they get all the pursuit and general talents they took already. Basically their old character with new aspects and starting skill numbers. And nost importantly a new destiny. 

Even if you put the highest numbers into the same aspects as before it wohld create a slightly different personality. 

But... Zoraida has taken and scattered a piece of their soul. The piece that contains the original stats. 

The first few steps of their stories will be them recovering their shattered psyches. 

When they do, Then I'll make them flip a card....
Ram keep 1st physical & 1st mental 
Tome keep 2nd physical & 1st mental
Mask keep 1st physical & 2nd mental
Crow keep 2nd physical & 2nd mental
Black joker only pick worst aspects
Red joker keep best aspects

Thoughts? Good? Bad? @Mason Care to weigh in?

On 11/08/2017 at 9:58 PM, sycorax said:

S'all good buddy.

One of my fated groups will be hitting step 5 very soon.  None of them want the story to end or to start over with new characters... so i came up with a rather bonkers compromise...

We are going to play No Strings Attached PD, with some modifications namely the fated know they are reaching their foretold ends and want a way to avoid them. So they travel to see the witch of the swamp to bargain for their lives. 

When she turns them into dolls as per the PD, their psyches under go massive trauma...

And this is the bonkers part i came up with... A new character is generated using the Tarot, but all skill points must be put into the same skills as they had. And they get all the pursuit and general talents they took already. Basically their old character with new aspects and starting skill numbers. And nost importantly a new destiny. 

Even if you put the highest numbers into the same aspects as before it wohld create a slightly different personality. 

But... Zoraida has taken and scattered a piece of their soul. The piece that contains the original stats. 

The first few steps of their stories will be them recovering their shattered psyches. 

When they do, Then I'll make them flip a card....
Ram keep 1st physical & 1st mental 
Tome keep 2nd physical & 1st mental
Mask keep 1st physical & 2nd mental
Crow keep 2nd physical & 2nd mental
Black joker only pick worst aspects
Red joker keep best aspects

Thoughts? Good? Bad? @Mason Care to weigh in?

I like this idea, messes around with things just like the malifaux world would, especially Zoraida.

On 8/9/2017 at 9:44 PM, CaptianEinsteinAlucard said:

How did you come up with the official looking bestiary page? I've been looking for a way to do that

On 8/10/2017 at 0:24 AM, sycorax said:

I took a screen shot of a page from a PDF. Then ran it through Ms Paint :lol:

I've come up with a better solution for those who have access to Microsoft Word, I've created a template that can be copied and pasted and edited with relative ease, even with faction borders, it looks much like the NPC profiles from Into The Steam and other expansion books, please take a look if you're interested. Just swap out the X's with the appropriate numbers and things ;)

.NPC Profile.docx

3 hours ago, Steamtastic Vagabond said:

I've come up with a better solution for those who have access to Microsoft Word, I've created a template that can be copied and pasted and edited with relative ease, even with faction borders, it looks much like the NPC profiles from Into The Steam and other expansion books, please take a look if you're interested. Just swap out the X's with the appropriate numbers and things ;)

.NPC Profile.docx

I did something similar but just in black and white. This will come in real handy in future. :)

While i think about it, what do others do when vreating their own npcs? which dont really share an archetype in the rulebook or expansions?