Sign in to follow this  
emiba

What to buy next?

It's that time again, the time to decide what to buy next! Based on the information below, could you please help me rate my suggestions (and feel free to make your own!), preferably with a 'why' so I can weigh them all together. A final consideration, I'm (unfortunately) not on an unlimited budget and the two crew boxes take up about 40% of my entire budget, 60% if I add in the Carrion Emissary, and the budget should also cover some essentials for another faction.

What I have:

• Shadows of Redchapel box
  • Necropunks
  • Dead Doxies
  • Bete Noire

What I want to achieve:
Beaters - last game, which was without Doxies and Bete, I managed to kill exactly 1 Beckoner and 1 Depleted (if I remember correctly) and I'm pretty sure my opponent was happy to let the Depleted die to give 2 Belles and Sybelle Brilliance since Huggy was literally around the corner.
Variety - I'm trying to collect two factions in order to be able to demo the game to other players in the area to lure (yes, lure) them into playing Malifaux.
Synergy - with the already owned models and between suggested additions.

What I'm considering:

• Generalist Upgrade Deck 1 (the second one is unfortunately out of stock)
  • Body of Evidence (McMourning) - for another master, nurses and flesh construct
  • Mercy of Death (Reva) - for another master
  • Yin the Penangalan - for holding, nuisance and WP-duels
  • Datsue Ba and Seishen - for causing WP-duels, preventing walks and putting out Seishen
  • Flesh Construct - because McMourning needs more than one
  • Carrion Emissary - for beating things up and boosting stuff
  • Izamu - for beating things up
  • Rafkin - for synergy with McMourning
  • Johan - for beating things up and removing conditions 

Thanks in advance!

It's good to see some Malifaux stirrings in Christchurch. Hopefully you are able to grow the scene there.

McMourning's a good choice due to being dual faction. You can boost your own collection with him (his Nurses are exceptional with Seamus, and good with other masters too), or let someone else try him as Guild when demoing. 

For Seamus himself, he loves Datsue Ba and Yin. I usually aim for 3-4 other Terrifying models to go alongside Seamus, and these 2 are pretty consistently in that list. 

The Emissary is fantastic for Seamus, but I am loathe to recommend such an expensive model when you're on a budget since I've heard it's not particularly good with McMourning. Perhaps a veteran McMourning player can chime in whether or not its worth taking with him. 

Yan Lo is worth considering if you're already keen on any of Datsue Ba, Izamu or Yin. He's another dual faction master, brings Chiaki to fulfil your condition removal needs, and synergises well with Ancestors and moderately with Spirits (hence the Datsue Ba mention). He's also very, very fond of the Emissary.

I would discourage a Reva pick if you're trying to grow a community simply because of how aggressive and oppressive she can seem when someone's new. If you're sold on taking her though, then Yin and the Emissary should find their way into your budget since they work really well with Reva.

12 minutes ago, hydranixx said:

It's good to see some Malifaux stirrings in Christchurch. Hopefully you are able to grow the scene there.

McMourning's a good choice due to being dual faction. You can boost your own collection with him (his Nurses are exceptional with Seamus, and good with other masters too), or let someone else try him as Guild when demoing. 

For Seamus himself, he loves Datsue Ba and Yin. I usually aim for 3-4 other Terrifying models to go alongside Seamus, and these 2 are pretty consistently in that list. 

The Emissary is fantastic for Seamus, but I am loathe to recommend such an expensive model when you're on a budget since I've heard it's not particularly good with McMourning. Perhaps a veteran McMourning player can chime in whether or not its worth taking with him. 

Yan Lo is worth considering if you're already keen on any of Datsue Ba, Izamu or Yin. He's another dual faction master, brings Chiaki to fulfil your condition removal needs, and synergises well with Ancestors and moderately with Spirits (hence the Datsue Ba mention). He's also very, very fond of the Emissary.

I would discourage a Reva pick if you're trying to grow a community simply because of how aggressive and oppressive she can seem when someone's new. If you're sold on taking her though, then Yin and the Emissary should find their way into your budget since they work really well with Reva.

There are a few who own models but little to none organized play here, I'm hoping to change that. :)

McMourning does seem good for versatility, the nurses seem to find their way into a lot of Resurrectionist builds.

I'm not too sure about Yan Lo. He just doesn't speak to me but maybe I should read up a little bit more. I do like the look of the Ashigaru. But the fact that everyone breaks down in tears at the mention of assembling his beard and no one's even mentioned the Doxies that gave me gray hairs also scares me a bit. :P How does the Ashigaru work with Seamus and McMourning.

I see what you mean on Reva, maybe I put her on the back burner. To be honest, the emissary was mostly on the list due to the Building on a Budget article on Schemes and Stones that suggested Reva, Emissary and Yin as a start. Do you have any input on any other master (apart from Yan Lo) that would synergize with the contents of the Seamus and McMourning boxes?

6 minutes ago, emiba said:

There are a few who own models but little to none organized play here, I'm hoping to change that. :)

McMourning does seem good for versatility, the nurses seem to find their way into a lot of Resurrectionist builds.

I'm not too sure about Yan Lo. He just doesn't speak to me but maybe I should read up a little bit more. I do like the look of the Ashigaru. But the fact that everyone breaks down in tears at the mention of assembling his beard and no one's even mentioned the Doxies that gave me gray hairs also scares me a bit. :P How does the Ashigaru work with Seamus and McMourning.

I see what you mean on Reva, maybe I put her on the back burner. To be honest, the emissary was mostly on the list due to the Building on a Budget article on Schemes and Stones that suggested Reva, Emissary and Yin as a start. Do you have any input on any other master (apart from Yan Lo) that would synergize with the contents of the Seamus and McMourning boxes?

I found Yan's beard easy enough to do. Not sure why everyone gets upset about assembling it lol.

Unfortunately, the Ashigaru have almost no synergy with Seamus or McMourning. They're fun models, but a little lacklustre as hires unless you have a plan for them specifically.  I've found them really useful when I bring Anna Lovelace into Turf War/Extraction. Otherwise they're also good summons with Toshiro and situationally good summons with Nicodem.

Speaking of Nicodem, he would be the master I'd suggest next - he synergises with almost our entire faction.

With what you already have, Nicodem+Emissary would be a good pick, with or without McMourning. You would have a reasonably good summoning stable already - Necropunks, Belles, Doxies, Punk Zombies. If you go with Nicodem, consider Hanged too. They're filthy summon options, especially when Emissary is nearby boosting their attacks. Some players bring 1 with Seamus too, to make the Terrifying a problem for your opponent that they can never get away from.

For Seamus I'd get Yin ASAP, she works as a beater and there's tons of synergy.

If you go with McMourning I'd suggest picking up some Canine Remains along with the extra Flesh Construct.

If you want the Emmissary, you'll need Mindless Zombies as well.

This is a general thing with Ressers though (maybe with Malifaux in general?), with so many dependencies and synergies, its hard to pick up just one box...

Despite her oppresiveness I would go for Reva, but use her only against skilled players, in tournaments or in demo games (where you play Seamus and newbie plays Reva).

If you are going to buy Datsue-Ba, which is indeed a good addition to Seamus crew, please take into consideration that she summons Gakis and Onryos. I would rather postpone purchase of her box for later.

If you really want to branch into another faction, I would go for McMourning. With the release of Domadores you will be able to use other Resser models with any Guild master. But again, to play McMourning you need another Flesh Construct and a box of Canine Remains. I'm not sure how usefull they will be with other masters.

Emissary is a good addition to many crews, so I would go for him. His default upgrade is simply amazing with belle and doxies (especially if you manage to lure someone into a belle cluster) and shards can disrupt early aggression.

I'm an avid Seamus player but I have never thought about bringing Datsue-Ba. Anyone care to give me a run down of why you think she is good with him?

1 hour ago, JisaacT said:

I'm an avid Seamus player but I have never thought about bringing Datsue-Ba. Anyone care to give me a run down of why you think she is good with him?

She can attack WP and make Seishins wich also attack WP ... and can teleport to Seamus to block line of sight

A lot of food for thought here, thank you all so much. :)

What I keep coming back to is the nurses. I believe that I will eventually get around to buy McMourning, but if I don't do so now, I feel almost forced to buy separate nurses and no one needs four of them, right?

I guess I could bank on being able to trade or sell them once I do pick up McMourning.

So, does Nurses, Emissary, Yin, Hanged and Reva or Nicodem sound like a good direction? Which of Reva or Nicodem would be your top pick? Does this give enough beaters and WP-shenanigans for Seamus to play with?

10 hours ago, JisaacT said:

As mentioned, she oozes WP duels (up to 4 if you use MLH for Denial of Sanzu, and even more if the enemy target her since she is Terrifying), plus any Seishin WP attacks. All these WP duels get really difficult to handle if Seamus takes Sinister Rep. The Seishin's best feature is that they can automatically teleport to Seamus when he activates, making Back Alley really easy, and that they can emergency heal him above Hard to Kill if he takes a big hit. Datsue Ba's own damage is good if you're targeting the right enemies, and when she finally dies, she forces 2 discards, which is great when your crew has lots of Terrifying effects in it.

8 hours ago, emiba said:

A lot of food for thought here, thank you all so much. :)

What I keep coming back to is the nurses. I believe that I will eventually get around to buy McMourning, but if I don't do so now, I feel almost forced to buy separate nurses and no one needs four of them, right?

I guess I could bank on being able to trade or sell them once I do pick up McMourning.

So, does Nurses, Emissary, Yin, Hanged and Reva or Nicodem sound like a good direction? Which of Reva or Nicodem would be your top pick? Does this give enough beaters and WP-shenanigans for Seamus to play with?

Nurses show up all the time, even across factions with Jack Daw or Zoraida. I'm certain you'll find players who would be happy to trade or buy one. I bought a set of two and traded one off the sprue on the same day. 

I would rate Datsue Ba higher on your priority list for Seamus, as high as Yin and much higher than Emissary.

Reva and Nicodem are both good master choices. My bias says Nicodem is the better pick, since you already have a damage-based master so Reva would add less value to your collection that he would from a competitive perspective. However, it's also possible that Reva is the right choice for you since you were drawn to her originally; presumably you like her aesthetic/theme etc and that makes her a fine choice too. Also, she needs fewer additional purchases (shikome, mindless zombies etc) further down the track. 

If you're taking Nicodem, pick Hanged.
If you're taking Reva, ignore the Hanged for now.
Try squeeze Datsue Ba in there :) 

5 hours ago, hydranixx said:

Nurses show up all the time, even across factions with Jack Daw or Zoraida. I'm certain you'll find players who would be happy to trade or buy one. I bought a set of two and traded one off the sprue on the same day. 

I would rate Datsue Ba higher on your priority list for Seamus, as high as Yin and much higher than Emissary.

Reva and Nicodem are both good master choices. My bias says Nicodem is the better pick, since you already have a damage-based master so Reva would add less value to your collection that he would from a competitive perspective. However, it's also possible that Reva is the right choice for you since you were drawn to her originally; presumably you like her aesthetic/theme etc and that makes her a fine choice too. Also, she needs fewer additional purchases (shikome, mindless zombies etc) further down the track. 

If you're taking Nicodem, pick Hanged.
If you're taking Reva, ignore the Hanged for now.
Try squeeze Datsue Ba in there :) 

Alright, hypothetically, if I go with Nicodem, nurses, Yin, Datsue Ba and hanged. How well does the nurses and Datsue Ba synergize with Nicodem?

You should definitively add gakis to that list, Datsue Ba summons them each time she kills something with her Ca action. Unfortunately, she has no particular synergy with Nicodem. What's more, she summons what he can't, so you will need to expand your collection in less congruent way. As for nurses, they can effectively support any crew. So if you are sold on both Nico and Datsue Ba (for your Seamus crew), I would buy gakis instead of nurses. Or switch faction for the one with less summoning until it is not too late ;)

Datsu Ba synergises really well. Nicodem can give bonuses to ML and CA attacks. Datsu Ba, if made fast, is potentially getting 6 attacks if triggers are hit. I've always been a fan of Datsu and Nico. 

• Like 2

Datsue Ba is Undead, so works well with Nicodem. She likes all the :+fate flips and especially appreciates receiving Fast from him since her Ch range is enormous and her attacks can trigger additional attacks, as noted above. She also makes up for his relative lack of ways around Armour (without access to summoning Shikome/Students).

Nurses have very little 'synergy' with anyone who isn't McMourning and still routinely make their way into crews lead by all 10 masters that can hire them. Their toolbox is just so broad that every master can benefit from their inclusion. With Seamus, I'm pretty much bringing a Nurse every game. With Nicodem, usually about a third of the time, when I'm worried about the opponent being hyper aggressive.

Ok, I think this is what I'm going to do:

• Nicodem - Another, varied master.
  • Hanged - Because Nicodem
  • Carrion Emissary - Because generally good. Shards to hide Seamus, spawning zombies for Nicodem
  • Mindless Zombies - Because Emissary and Mwahaha
  • Yin - Because Seamus
  • Datsue Ba - Because synergy with both Seamus & Nicodem

My alternative would have been to drop Nicodem and the Hanged for Reva and used the remaining money on Neverborn instead. More of my decisions than I'd like is based on budget. There's a very narrow sweet spot between having to pay for shipping and being hit with customs and duty.

Thank you all so much for your input, I'll remember it for the next round of buys, because there's always another round of buys... :P

• Like 2

It looks like a very solid shopping list.

Seamus can get use out of a Hanged as well. You're also pretty well setup to run Molly now, if she strikes your fancy :)

Mollys box doesnt have a lot to offer the other masters and to make her work you need at least Seamus' and either Nicodems (horrors) og Kirais boxes (spirits). And even then she'd like either Killjoy, Izamu or Rogue Necromancy as beaters, and the Hanged, the Drowned, the Students, Gaki and more for summons.

From what I've read on the forums Crooligans arent all that popular. Most people seem to prefer Necropunks. Phillip and the Nanny are good, but a little expensive.

Take Phillip and the Nanny with a Dead Doxy and you have a nice card generating machine, but its rather expensive for what it does.

If you decide to pick her up on your next shopping spree, I'd pick up Kirai too and a bunch of spirits.

Philip and the nanny is really good in most summoners as the utility they offer can swing games. From extra card draw with a necropunk to messing with enemy schemes, Philip is definitely a strong piece. Of particular note is his synergies with Kirai, as the Take Back the Night upgrade along with his inbuilt card draw allows you to gain significant card advantage for his cost.