Alternate Nekima

Sybaris

On 8/24/2017 at 8:35 AM, Kirby said:

And on the topic of size comparison, the Grootslang is silly huge while the Cyclops is pretty big as well.
YrLADtj.jpg

Just to be clear, in beta the Grootslang was a six point minion with seven wounds and a 2/3/4 damage track.  That model is awesome, I ain't gonna lie, but it's big enough to swallow Lilith whole.

That's true, but remember that while it was a 6ss minion in the beta, it was also height 3 and on a 50mm base. It was always going to be a large model.

That thing however, is the size of Chompy, who is height 4. So while he's bigger than expected, I was still expecting a big model anyway.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Severino said:

And the saga of random scale issues continues...

Just because it's very big doesn't mean it's a scale issue. There's nothing saying the Grootslang can't be a 20' monstrosity. And it's only Ht 3 because it normally walks on all four legs, making it shorter for game purposes.

I think it's a mistake to assume it's a mistake :)

• Like 2
  • Respectfully Disagree 1

17 minutes ago, Philosfr said:

Just because it's very big doesn't mean it's a scale issue. There's nothing saying the Grootslang can't be a 20' monstrosity. And it's only Ht 3 because it normally walks on all four legs, making it shorter for game purposes.

The $6 price jump on the Grootslang is what makes me suspect that it came out larger than intended.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, WWHSD said:

The $6 price jump on the Grootslang is what makes me suspect that it came out larger than intended.

Now that is a more reasonable argument for his size being big. Though it seems implausible. It's not like they would have been delivered a whole pile of plastic that was bigger than anticipated and said "oh, we better charge more". They would have had to at least place a PO before the Grootslang were even shipped to them in the first place, so they would have known their plastic cost was higher than anticipated long before. I'm guessing it was more likely a typo. 

10 hours ago, Philosfr said:

Yeah. The legs seem short for all that torso. I imagine that pose is surprise slap on the butt, big twist before a clumsy stumble.

I have my green stuff, sand paper, wood knives and dental tools ready for those big models. Can't wait to assemble them and fight off the evil seams. 

Finished converting one of the new alternate Nekima with the old Metal's sword. Kept the guard as the original one was too big for this new iteration.

It's borderline too long, but i think it still fits considering the old story which depicted it as such (Sonnia's story from M1E iirc). At the very least it goes well with the pose that shows Nekima as gathering strenght for a strike.

It completely dwarfs the Mini-kima models with the base addition.

Overall i am satisfied and with proper green stuff and paint work, it'll effectively replace the old metal one. The sword required cutting and filing work, but apart from that it's an easy operation.

Pictures are a bit shadowy, there wasn't much light to work with this morning.

72fPVt.jpg

Wd9uDc.jpg

bRehoD.jpg

• Like 5

54 minutes ago, Sybaris said:

Finished converting one of the new alternate Nekima with the old Metal's sword. Kept the guard as the original one was too big for this new iteration.

It's borderline too long, but i think it still fits considering the old story which depicted it as such (Sonnia's story from M1E iirc). At the very least it goes well with the pose that shows Nekima as gathering strenght for a strike.

It completely dwarfs the Mini-kima models with the base addition.

Overall i am satisfied and with proper green stuff and paint work, it'll effectively replace the old metal one. The sword required cutting and filing work, but apart from that it's an easy operation.

Pictures are a bit shadowy, there wasn't much light to work with this morning.

72fPVt.jpg

Wd9uDc.jpg

bRehoD.jpg

THAT was amazingly cool! :-)

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Sybaris said:

Thank you, hope it might encourage others to switch to this alternate model.

You have caused me to change my mind at least...

I have the old metal Nekima, but it's a little impractical. I have the plastic, but it's a little small. I was going to pass on this one due to the terrible sword, but now I think I'll make a cast of the metal sword and swap it out...

You can never have too many Nekimas!

• Like 1

I didn't like the sword either, but liked the rest enough to pick it up anyway. The sword grew less terrible with time, so I assembled and primed with it. That simple conversion is making me change my mind though, I think I have to go back and do that!

I probably even have a spare sword from an old metal Nekima that I modified for a Halloween theme, so I wouldn't need to sacrifice a sword from my other metal Nekima

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

@Sybaris. Love the conversion you got going there! Super simple and super effective.  Where's that base from? It really nice? 

If someone could kindly post a picture of the new alternative Nekima with the old metal, I'd be really appreciative! Especially a front on on so I can compare heights. 

Cheers! 

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

@Da GitHi, sorry to be late here...been too busy these days.

In any case, Gmort's blog has what you seek, if you haven't found your way there already.

http://gmortschaotica.blogspot.ca/2017/09/unboxing-malifaux-alternate-nekima.html

After some time, the new alternate Nekima fits the bill entirely in my opinion. It does scream for a decent base though, and the sword is one area of debate that has been going on, but that's not major in any way like the previous scale issues.

Edit, as for the base, it comes from a line called Dark Age Groundwerks. Might be some other name it goes by too but i found them that way.

On 11/16/2017 at 12:27 AM, Sybaris said:

@Da GitHi, sorry to be late here...been too busy these days.

In any case, Gmort's blog has what you seek, if you haven't found your way there already.

http://gmortschaotica.blogspot.ca/2017/09/unboxing-malifaux-alternate-nekima.html

After some time, the new alternate Nekima fits the bill entirely in my opinion. It does scream for a decent base though, and the sword is one area of debate that has been going on, but that's not major in any way like the previous scale issues.

Edit, as for the base, it comes from a line called Dark Age Groundwerks. Might be some other name it goes by too but i found them that way.

The problem with that shot is it's looking down at an angle so it's really hard to compare heights.  I'd like a direct front on photo of all three Nekimas like the photo above comparing Cyclops, Grootslang, Lilith & Nekima.

@GMort If you (or anyone else!) can provide this, I'd be very grateful!

4 minutes ago, TheLostOne said:

I had always assumed that the original one was out of scale. Is there anything in the fluff that says Lilith's sister is huge? I thought the smaller one was more correct in size since it's much closer to the size of all the other nephilim not counting the mature.

She's described as the biggest Nephilim in existence, so she should be at least significantly bigger than a mature...

• Agree 1