TTB Core Rules Discussion

Mason

Nah not at all. I knew the story. I just havent bought it or run it for any of my groups yet. Its the last PD i need for the collection. I own all the others. Including all the one shots from chronicles and the adventure boxes. 

All printed and kept in a huge binder. Any true GM/FM/DM has to have a binder!

• Like 2

I would like to comment that I love that Animating Constructs no longer requires a high Charm, but can also be done off of Cunning. It makes a lot more sense for a shut-in Tinkerer Fated to be building constructs with ingenuity than people skills they might never exercise. Changes like that allow for wider range of Fated, more player control of the Fated, and less concerns over trying to get the mental/physical flips working with a character concept devised before flipping the Tarot.

That Neverborn Stolen Tinkerer who was raised by Marionettes isn't going to really know how to talk to people, after all.

I think there's a misunderstanding.  On page 171, Enchanting is listed as "Charm or Cunning", but the 'Animate Construct' use of Enchanting is listed as Charm on page 264.

On the other hand, the rules for building the construct are on page 311, and the requirements are:

• At least one rank of Artifacting, acting value of the Artifacting skill irrelevant.
  • Some Engineering ranks if you want to grant skills.

Looking at the magic theories, the Oxford Method or the Darlin Theories seem like they'd be able to allow a low Charm character an easier chance of making the 10:ram target number for Animate Construct, since that gives the character the suit value or a reduced TN.

If there is a way to substitute Cunning for Charm in Animate Construct, I'm not seeing it.

Animate Construct Magia uses Enchanting Skill + Charm Aspect for AV.  :ram is required as part of the TN.

The Engineer Pursuit (Into the Steam) has the Mechanical Animation Talent, using Engineering + Artefacting Skills for AV; :tome is required as part of the TN.

I don't recall seeing a Magia that is associated with Cunning that animates Constructs.... but there is one in Into the Steam that damages them: Disassemble Creation (Enchanting + Cunning).

We got our 2e edition rulebook.

I haven't read the fluff yet as I'm a player and I leave that part to the fatemaster. The book is really apealing.
The core careers have been updated for the best and we really liked the new mercenary's mecanics.
The changes you made to Magic in general are great and balances things out.
We noticed the damages of weapons/spells/melee has been reduced and that's a good idea as it was too easy to make a powerhouse destroyer from the start.
We still don't like that an augmented with a crusher deals more damage than a greatsword and automaticaly inflicts slow at the same time and ignores :-fate to damage with absolutely no trade off. This particular augment feels really unbalanced.

To put things in perspective, I'd like you to know our group of players has played a lot of different RPGs and some of us really like to min/max our characters, so balance is important to us so we don't end up with everyone using the same weapon just because it's better and it makes no sense to take something else. I exagerate a little, but not that much.

Craft
The crafting rules have not changed and are still unbalanced, 1/4 of the price is basically nothing, so it's like to tell the players "take whatever stuff you want". We houseruled it to 1/2 and it's still huge.
Weapons upgrade are too powerful for zero trade off. Why not add :+fate flip to hit and damage when you can do it for a small fee?

Now the general talents
Some of them have been changed and it was needed (no more auto triggers or :+fate flips), but why not change the rest of them as well?
A few are powerful, most are meh... and the rest is pure garbage. It ends up with a lot of players taking the same ones because they can see the difference when they take them, insted of taking some cool ones but with virtualy no effect. Who cares about a :+fate flip when climbing?
The other good source of general talents is the invested ones, wich are really better than the rest. That alone makes invested superior to humans, so to balance things out, the fatemaster decided we can't play investeds.

To sum up, the 2e ed is better than the previous one by far, but some major issues have not been fixed.

In the future, I'd like to see some balance added in the general talents and the crafting rules. It could be a large errata or a book with updated talents and craft.

If you need help or don't have time to balance things out, why not ask the comunity for a collaborative effort? It could end up with some nice ideas.

• Like 1

I know the Fatemasters I have played with before balanced crafting by enforcing time on it.  It took time to making things like guns, swords, and the like.  Things like Alchemy were faster but a sword, at least a decent non shoddy one, is not something you finish in 8-16 hours.  To that extent they have required we have both time and facility to craft or modify things.  It led to a lot of times an item being tabled for the time being because we have to head out at first light in six hours and sleep might be important.  But ya, give us that week downtime and those with the means will spit out something.

• Like 2

New to TTB as of Origins 2017. Got my book recently and I love it. I do, however, have a question or two.

1) Under skills, the list shows Music's Aspect to be Charm but the skill description shows it as intellect. Which is correct?

2) In step 2 of the Duel Overview, a skill is mentioned as having a value of 2 masks. How does a skill gain an suit?

TIA!

36 minutes ago, thateffendude said:

How does a skill gain an suit?

Some carrers gives you a suits for a specific skill, like Dabbler's 3rd step gives a :tome for Sorcery and when you reach the 2nd destiny step, you can take the Specialized talent under general talents to add a suit of your choice to a skill.

3 hours ago, thateffendude said:

New to TTB as of Origins 2017. Got my book recently and I love it. I do, however, have a question or two.

1) Under skills, the list shows Music's Aspect to be Charm but the skill description shows it as intellect. Which is correct?

Huh, missed that on the Music myself.  I am going to guess Charm because it used Charm in the first edition rules.  It also fits that they like breaking up a couple skills in a category so they are not all the same Aspects.

14 hours ago, EnternalVoid said:

Huh, missed that on the Music myself.  I am going to guess Charm because it used Charm in the first edition rules.  It also fits that they like breaking up a couple skills in a category so they are not all the same Aspects.

That's annoying. It should be Charm.

On 8/26/2017 at 10:26 PM, solkan said:

I think there's a misunderstanding.  On page 171, Enchanting is listed as "Charm or Cunning", but the 'Animate Construct' use of Enchanting is listed as Charm on page 264.

On the other hand, the rules for building the construct are on page 311, and the requirements are:

• At least one rank of Artifacting, acting value of the Artifacting skill irrelevant.
  • Some Engineering ranks if you want to grant skills.

Looking at the magic theories, the Oxford Method or the Darlin Theories seem like they'd be able to allow a low Charm character an easier chance of making the 10:ram target number for Animate Construct, since that gives the character the suit value or a reduced TN.

If there is a way to substitute Cunning for Charm in Animate Construct, I'm not seeing it.

It's the bit on 171 that I was looking at when I got excited about that idea. It left me with a thought along the lines of:

On 8/26/2017 at 11:33 PM, Steamtastic Vagabond said:

Short answer, either flirt the robot to life, or shove a logic engine inside and hope it starts moving.

Later on I found that the specific Animate Construct spell still references Charm. I am still digesting the information and will need to go back through the books a few more times to flush out old information. Darlin Theory is the usual suspect, but one of the things I also only just picked up is how much Tinkerers changed as well--they're no longer a spellcasting class. 1e they had a grimoire with 2 magia and 3 immuto, 2e their 0-level pursuit lets them Animate Constructs. All they do now on creation is animate constructs (and consequently start with a construct instead of a grimoire), and are always considered to have that spell regardless of grimoire.

Unfortunately it means that the 1e character concept I had no longer can exist the way that they had. Which is fine, new edition means new campaign, right?