TTB Core Rules Discussion

Mason

24 minutes ago, Amberleigh said:

My LGS received theirs back on the 1st of August. I dont think you guys will be disappointed. Its a shame its taking a while for your LGS to receive their delivery.

I hope so, my local store always gets their new game orders on Friday from their distributor. I will be really sad if I don't have a copy waiting for me tomorrow. I have been wanting this since I first got into Wyrd products. Waiting for it has caused me to delay my TTB game for over 3 months now.

1 minute ago, spect_spidey said:

I hope so, my local store always gets their new game orders on Friday from their distributor. I will be really sad if I don't have a copy waiting for me tomorrow. I have been wanting this since I first got into Wyrd products. Waiting for it has caused me to delay my TTB game for over 3 months now.

Sorry to hear that. Mine estimated that they would receive the delivery on the 4th as well, fingers crossed for you.

From a flick through i can confirm that it is easier to navigate the book, without to many flicking from one side of the book to the other. Also they have published an Intro adventure called Bad things Happen. Looks to be a great adventure to get into the malifaux world.

• Like 2

As discussion goes, Im not quite sure where to start lol

First the cover: I have a soft spot for all hard backed books, I much prefer them to paperback books, The cover is delightfully colourful while still depicting the subtle/not-so subtle darkness of malifaux. Its seems have a soft velvetine feel to the cover which was unexpected but very welcome, it helps minimise slipping in ones hands. 

The formatting is much easier to navigate than the previous editions, for example all of the pursuit talents are found in the pursuit entry rather than a seperate location. Magic seems easier to understand and construct, the skill triggers in the main rulebook is very much welcome. As a fatemistress, this means I carry arround less books. There appears to be more equipment avaliable for the fated to purchase as well, though i could be wrong and I simply missed these in the previous rulebook.

Lastly, the addition of not one but THREE ribbons for book marks is so much easier to mark what sections you require for your sessions. My father used to work in the printing trade and he has said that it is a very well bound and finished book.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Nathan Caroland said:

Thanks. :) 

Put a bit of work into that cover, binding and ribbons - most folks wouldn't give it much of a second thought, but it was more work than you would think. 

It was really well done, :) good job. Im a dead doxy for a good quality book it ticks all the boxes.

• Like 2

Got mine yesterday. It is an absolutely beautiful, well produced and gorgeous book dripping with Lore, full colour art and well thought out wordings on rules in addition to the well thought out layout. 

The changes are generally for the better. Though my girlfriends rifle toting Merc has been whacked with a rather heavy handed Cuddlebat now Mercenary is all about the money. The pursuit is better for it in general don't get me wrong... but she was not happy at all when she saw it last night. She's all good now though. We had a character rebuild!

Overall I'm loving all the changes. But most of all, and it's a tiny thing but a glorious attention to detail that could have easily been missed is the addition of the M A on the spine. So eventually the books will spell out malifaux still just as planned with the fated and fatemaster almanacs originally. 

@Mason Did spot a few typos though! I'll hunt them down again and let you know in case you wanna correct em for the next print run?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, sycorax said:

Got mine yesterday. It is an absolutely beautiful, well produced and gorgeous book dripping with Lore, full colour art and well thought out wordings on rules in addition to the well thought out layout. 

Overall I'm loving all the changes. But most of all, and it's a tiny thing but a glorious attention to detail that could have easily been missed is the addition of the M A on the spine. So eventually the books will spell out malifaux still just as planned with the fated and fatemaster almanacs originally. 

@Mason Did spot a few typos though! I'll hunt them down again and let you know in case you wanna correct em for the next print run?

I will agree with you. I have only time to read through the fluff so far. It is fantastic though! It gives me insight that I have missed and I love reading bits that I recall from reading a one shot or short story. I love that there is new art in the book. However in flipping through the book, I did see several instances of the same art being reused. I don't mind this when it is across books. But will all the Malifaux art available, there should not be any duplicated art. The typos are definitely improved. The proof reading has been much improved. I read PDFs of the previous two books and it was full of typos and grammatical errors. I am loving the book so far and the three ribbons to help mark key areas of the book is fantastic. This was well worth the price. Well done!

• Like 1

I just picked up my copy yesterday and I absolutely agree with @Amberleigh 100% It is all the most amazing things about rulebooks that I love. Fantastic "velvety" hardcover, 3 ribbons and combining multiple books. That  being said....this is my very first TTB book, although I have been playing Malifaux for several years, and am looking into starting a campaign (so way to set the bar very high Wyrd). Any tips on where to start? Aside from the core rulebook of course. I have never DM'd a day in my life so I am a bit nervous but everything seems to be laid out quite well for Fatmasters and the Fated without giving away too much...

Thanks in advance! 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Broken Clock said:

I'm still new to this game. What is in this book? Are the rules all new or something? Will they be available online? Is my regular manual outdated now?

From what I read, it's not really TTB 2.0.  It's more like 1.3.    It combines the Fated and Fatemaster books, tweaks and trims a few things, brings the original pursuits more in line with the expansion books' pursuits and adds a bestiary along with a lot more fluff.   It's supposed to be fully compatible with all the existing expansions. More something you'll want eventually than something you'll need right now.

On 06/08/2017 at 0:44 AM, lizard8908 said:

I just picked up my copy yesterday and I absolutely agree with @Amberleigh 100% It is all the most amazing things about rulebooks that I love. Fantastic "velvety" hardcover, 3 ribbons and combining multiple books. That  being said....this is my very first TTB book, although I have been playing Malifaux for several years, and am looking into starting a campaign (so way to set the bar very high Wyrd). Any tips on where to start? Aside from the core rulebook of course. I have never DM'd a day in my life so I am a bit nervous but everything seems to be laid out quite well for Fatmasters and the Fated without giving away too much...

Thanks in advance! 

Well knowledge of Malifaux helps you with the setting, making sessions from scratch is a little harder. Im in the process of writing my next session of the Cult of the Crow story arc.

I would suggest you start with the intro in the back of the rulebook, its well written and gives you and your players a taste of the setting. I would suggest follow this with Cold Front from the Wyrd Chronicles, followed by northen aggression (you might want to pick up Into the Steam.) this gives you enough content for 6+ gaming sessions. Any one shots are good to jump into as well.

I would also reccomend setting up a Session Zero to make characters and discuss the type of game your players are interested in. Any info you get about the characters backgrounds gives you some bits to play on as you write the sessions. Though be mindful, that unlike games such as D&D TtB is more roleplay intensive rather than combat.

Hope that helps :)

• Like 2

Thanks! That does help, I was thinking of getting started with Northern Aggression after the intro in the book so it's good to know I am headed in the right direction.  I will definitely be paying more attention to the adventures in the Wyrd Chronicles going forward, and I'll check out Cold Front. Thanks again for the suggestion! 

• Like 1

On 8/3/2017 at 7:08 AM, Nathan Caroland said:

Thanks. :) 

Put a bit of work into that cover, binding and ribbons - most folks wouldn't give it much of a second thought, but it was more work than you would think. 

Just picked up my copy yesterday, and I definitely appreciate the ribbons. A solid add; having multiple ribbons allows me to mark several sections so that if I'm preparing for a session I can use them to mark sections for player reference (especially that Session Zero that @Amberleigh mentioned) so that they can do their Tarot flips, Creation, and Equipment purchases--while I compile notes on what they've flipped and what they sound excited about. Whether I'm running a Penny Dreadful or a custom story arc, I can make sure that the game gets up and greets them properly.

I also really appreciate the background information being all right there. Stories (and storytelling) are enhanced by fully fleshed out characters, so knowing why Nekima and Lilith are murderous towards humans helps shape interactions both in scene and behind the scenes. It especially helps solidify what the Quarantine Zone really is and is not. I'm still digesting all of the added fluff and haven't gotten into a whole lot of the mechanics yet, but I'm loving what I'm seeing so far.

..and yeah, beautiful book. :)

• Like 2

15 hours ago, lizard8908 said:

Thanks! That does help, I was thinking of getting started with Northern Aggression after the intro in the book so it's good to know I am headed in the right direction.  I will definitely be paying more attention to the adventures in the Wyrd Chronicles going forward, and I'll check out Cold Front. Thanks again for the suggestion! 

Your Welcome

Cold Front is an adventure that involves the Journey to Ridley, where Northen aggression begins. Its a good filler. Feel free to ask if you need any tips or what nots. :)

13 hours ago, spooky_squirrel said:

Just picked up my copy yesterday, and I definitely appreciate the ribbons. A solid add; having multiple ribbons allows me to mark several sections so that if I'm preparing for a session I can use them to mark sections for player reference (especially that Session Zero that @Amberleigh mentioned) so that they can do their Tarot flips, Creation, and Equipment purchases--while I compile notes on what they've flipped and what they sound excited about. Whether I'm running a Penny Dreadful or a custom story arc, I can make sure that the game gets up and greets them properly.

I also really appreciate the background information being all right there. Stories (and storytelling) are enhanced by fully fleshed out characters, so knowing why Nekima and Lilith are murderous towards humans helps shape interactions both in scene and behind the scenes. It especially helps solidify what the Quarantine Zone really is and is not. I'm still digesting all of the added fluff and haven't gotten into a whole lot of the mechanics yet, but I'm loving what I'm seeing so far.

..and yeah, beautiful book. :)

Custom campaigns are great fun, im writing my session three of the first part of my story arc, its getting interesting.

A little tip I can share is, Dont base an adventure around the fate steps, create "cut scenes" or events within your main story arc to cover them. It gives you more freedom with the story you are trying to tell.

• Like 1

Just so everyone is aware. Ive started a topic on Fatemastering/mistressing for thoughts, questions, disscussion of ideas etc etc. Feel free to use it if you have any questions or ideas you want to throw around. I'm happy to help in any way that I can.

• Like 2

On 8/8/2017 at 0:57 AM, Amberleigh said:

Custom campaigns are great fun, im writing my session three of the first part of my story arc, its getting interesting.

A little tip I can share is, Dont base an adventure around the fate steps, create "cut scenes" or events within your main story arc to cover them. It gives you more freedom with the story you are trying to tell.

Thanks, Amberleigh. I just created an account here to ask about this... and here it is. This opens up the game structure much more for me as a Fate Master.

50 minutes ago, Lorgryt said:

Thanks, Amberleigh. I just created an account here to ask about this... and here it is. This opens up the game structure much more for me as a Fate Master.

I'm glad it opens up the game structure much more for you. :D

If you have any other questions, im happy to answer them.

On 8/8/2017 at 0:57 AM, Amberleigh said:

This is along the lines of what I was thinking. I appreciate the Penny Dreadfuls for doing something like this (each one suggests that specific Fate Steps can be met by interacting with a specific sidebar character or setting), which seems like a good idea and easy to either build in, swap out on the fly, or skip altogether (especially important because every DM/GM/FM has had to deal with no-shows and other things that derail what was intended for the session). Avoids Railroading the Fate Steps and makes them related to the story without being critical to the parts of the story that aren't solely about the one (or more) Fated with that Fate Step.

• Like 1

Yup!

Sometimes everything comes together and you can have a session that hits a Destiny Step like a freight train of awesomeness... other times, cut-away scenes and general theme make more sense. They're all tools in the Fatemaster toolbox, and most games will benefit from mixing and matching them to ensure a variety of approaches to the session.

I'd just like to say, now I've had a chance to sit down and read the fluff parts of the book, after a week of dealing with  character stuff and absorbing the changes to rules, that whomever wrote the fluff parts about the various historical breaches, and particularly the Tyrant The Dragon, is a full blown genius. 

The way they have intrinsically linked a fictional world and it's characters to major events and philosphies of actual real life historical earth is a thing of pure beauty. Truly.

SPOILERS START! At least they are new to me but I don't know everything put into print about malifaux but they may have existed before so may not be spoilers to some of you.

Having the Dragon's arrival be the earthquake which caused the formation of the straits of Gibraltar...

Linking it's form to the Rod of Ascelpius, the well known snake symbol of medical healing...

The famous myth of the temple by the waters that flooded its construction over an over...

The idea that the central tenet of Buddhism is that of enlightenment purely to create a suitable host for the tyrant plus inclusion of important historical Buddhist figures of Padmasanbhava and Santaraksita...

The idea of native american skin-walkers being interbred human and malifaux native to create things like the Yenaldooshi. 

The bit with Horomatangi (i know nothing of Maori myths) But I assume it is one? Can some one shed light on it?

The idea of early explorers bringing back stories of voracious plants in the Amazon Rainforest actually being malifaux Waldgeist

The whole history of Aztec blood sacrifice stemming from a sighting of the malifaux badlands

SPOILERS OVER!

Mega congratulations to the writers of that. As a student of history my entire life,  it was actual bliss to read and have lightbulb moments as I linked these fictional events with the real life ones in my head. It has made me exceedingly happy. 

Like a wonderful Robert Harris-esque alternate history of Earth. 

KUDOS! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1