TTB Core Rules Discussion

Mason

The new book is well done Wyrd Crew. I was a bit disappointed that the Scrapper call out box changed from the last edition ;)

My only gripe is the continuation of the reversed gendered pronoun usage. Just changing "him" to "her" and "himself" to "herself" in the text is really sort of missing the point in my opinion.

In the new book it makes mention of the book from nightmares, which to my knowledge isn't out yet when can we start expecting news about it. If the core book is anything to go off of when it comes to the quality of the books going forward I'm so excited. The core book is so amazing the fluff is exceptional the redone magical theories are absolutely the best and the art work and care to detail are so superb 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, sycorax said:

I'd just like to say, now I've had a chance to sit down and read the fluff parts of the book, after a week of dealing with  character stuff and absorbing the changes to rules, that whomever wrote the fluff parts about the various historical breaches, and particularly the Tyrant The Dragon, is a full blown genius. 

The way they have intrinsically linked a fictional world and it's characters to major events and philosphies of actual real life historical earth is a thing of pure beauty. Truly.

I did the fluff (and the rules) for the book.

I'm glad that you liked it!

10 hours ago, Omenbringer said:

My only gripe is the continuation of the reversed gendered pronoun usage. Just changing "him" to "her" and "himself" to "herself" in the text is really sort of missing the point in my opinion.

I naturally default to using female pronouns when writing rules.
If it feels like it's missing the point, it's because there really isn't much of a point, other than "that's how I write."  :P

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Mason said:

I did the fluff (and the rules) for the book.

I'm glad that you liked it!

The whole book by yourself? I assumed there'd be a team of you. 2 or 3 people at least.

So the only other people involved were playtesters and maybe a layout guy?

Impressive. If ever we're in the same part of the world I'm buying you a beer! 

33 minutes ago, sycorax said:

The whole book by yourself? I assumed there'd be a team of you. 2 or 3 people at least.

So the only other people involved were playtesters and maybe a layout guy?

Impressive. If ever we're in the same part of the world I'm buying you a beer! 

We had people to look it over and help edit as well, and my playtesters are pretty great at helping to ensure that everything ends up nice and balanced.

I won't turn down free beer, though. :P

Just got the book ordered in from my FLGS and have read the majority of the rules (skimmed a bit at the nuts and bolts how to flip etc. bits) and here are my impressions.

First the book is gorgeous.  Hard cover, full color, good feel, great art (though most of it is recycled from other things), and as has been stated before the three bookmarks was so good I could probably be talked into sending a monetary tip to whoever was in charge of the binding.  Seriously, those bookmarks are killer.  Also, organization makes so much more sense.  Layout person, you did good.  You did real good.

As for rules content, I am seriously impressed as well.  The book would be worth it for the updated core pursuits alone IMO.  We went from some ok options, some interesting but probably under powered options, and some downright forgettable options in the original fated almanac to a list of pursuits that I legit can't choose which is my favorite.  They are all so great and offer some really cool possibilities.  Like seriously some of my top picks include Pioneer, overseer, wastrel, and academic which I pretty much overlooked in 1e.  What I really appreciate most is how many of the pursuit abilities really lend themselves to setting up teamwork combos and working with your group to strategize for both combat AND social situations.  Also most classes get something cool that runs off of discarding twist cards so there's way less being disappointed with a terrible twist hand.

Skill triggers go from being an optional side rule to the standard and pretty much all the ones I read through were really neato (My favorite is literacy on Tomes which let's you "realize" the text you just read is a low-power grimoire).  Also many skills got cut and rolled into other skills which was a nice change as far as I'm concerned.  Crafting generally doesn't require skill checks anymore which I am a fan of.

All the magical theories got updated and for the most part they all offer some cool trade-offs in ability. A couple of them I could only see in very specific builds but for the most part they all offer something very useful with a minor trade off to balance it out.  Thalarian Doctrine is actually one of the better ones in there now so being Guild approved doesn't feel like quite so much of a handicap.  Magic itself seemed to remain mostly the same with a couple of immuto being pulled out and given to magic pursuits as pursuit talents instead.

I haven't looked super closely at the bestiary yet but from my cursory glances it seems like they buffed up the badguys a bit and gave higher tier monsters/FMCs more options to make them legitimate threats.

Plenty of lore at the beginning that I will need to take my time and process through but what I have read was pretty cool.

Only real dissappointement I have with the book is that the equipment section wasn't in the same "sears and roebuck catalogue  with notes in the margins" style that the original had.  Of course that's been a minor disappointment ever since into the steam so I'm used to it by now.

Overall I a super happy with my purchase and cannot wait for more expansions to come down the pike.  Seriously you guys, TTB is my favorite TTRPG and this new edition is pretty much nothing but an improvement.  I highly recommend it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 8/11/2017 at 11:59 PM, GummyGator said:

As for rules content, I am seriously impressed as well.  The book would be worth it for the updated core pursuits alone IMO.  We went from some ok options, some interesting but probably under powered options, and some downright forgettable options in the original fated almanac to a list of pursuits that I legit can't choose which is my favorite.  They are all so great and offer some really cool possibilities.  Like seriously some of my top picks include Pioneer, overseer, wastrel, and academic which I pretty much overlooked in 1e.  What I really appreciate most is how many of the pursuit abilities really lend themselves to setting up teamwork combos and working with your group to strategize for both combat AND social situations.  Also most classes get something cool that runs off of discarding twist cards so there's way less being disappointed with a terrible twist hand.

Now that my digestion of the new book has gotten far enough in to be puzzling over the pursuit reworks.. I definitely agree with this. For example, the rework to Drudge didn't hurt the concept at all but better illustrates it through the skills and gives the Drudge tools that can help the team beyond being harder to kill. The old core Drudge struck me and a few others I know of as just a way to start with an augmented limb and potentially build towards a tank. The rework gives it more than just being a Rail Worker in game, especially at higher ranks with being able to cheat down incoming damage and gain additional AP from being badly hurt--and the option to have a toolkit instead of augmented limb(s), which allows for being too stubborn to die as a mere human. That's not even looking at the healing flips for a speech, to include allies who hear it. Stoic "cannae stop industry" seems better represented there.

I love that Academics can actually use their background in more circumstances than even before (being able to think around a problem by treating it as something the Fated was already knowledgeable in is cool), to include giving them some ability to figure out what they're dealing with even in combat. There's some priceless ability there: to be able to tell your beaters where to shoot/stab/hammer in combat, what weapons to use, or when to leg it and find some mercs or thugs to take the brunt of it. Or, let's avoid combat altogether by having the long-winded academic bore everyone into a daze, if not unconsciousness with a lecture about some nuanced reading of Darwinian Evolution as it applies to Gremlins in a specific region of the Bayou, or the socio-political ramifications of [zzzzzzz....].

28 minutes ago, vinush said:

Quick question about this. Are the 1st edition books, such as into the steam, still useable with the new edition? 

All 3 Expansion books yes.

Fated almanac and fatemasters almanac no. This book replaces those two.

There are a few talents and skills in the expansions that have been updated in the new book. But it specifically calls them out.

Also the skill trigger section in into the steam has been replaced. But that's in the new book too.  

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Mason said:

If there's a lot of interest, maybe we can do a web supplement with master stats.

Yes please! I'd be happy to pay for it on drivethrurpg/wargamevault like the penny dreadfuls as well.

Probably worth 10 bucks or so if it's got all the masters in it. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mason said:

Possibly, if I get a good opportunity to do so!

If there's a lot of interest, maybe we can do a web supplement with master stats.

Definitely lots of interest from where I sit (and Fatemaster)!

In fact, my bunch would love major character stats, additional historical and/or current-times details, more detailed maps of areas and infrastructure.... pretty much anything you folks would be willing to have a try at doing!

15 hours ago, Mason said:

Possibly, if I get a good opportunity to do so!

There seems to be alot of interest. who doesnt want the fated to have a run in with Saemus hehe

A web suppliment would be perfect. :D

31 minutes ago, Amberleigh said:

There seems to be alot of interest. who doesnt want the fated to have a run in with Saemus hehe

A web suppliment would be perfect. :D

Seamus already has rules in TTB :D! In the Christmas Carol Penny Dreadful. 

Other masters with rules already include...

So'mer, Sonnia, Von Schill, Zoraida and a weakened version of Yan Lo in a disguise