Dress Rehearsal - A Colette Guide for Stage Management

Boomstick

15 hours ago, Franchute said:

Hello

Following the recent conversations about sticky threads, should this one be considered? I have no clue about Colette but I'll certainly get her at some point.

<Modhat> I'm looking at the threads, and trying to work out the best way to organise it but I don't want to set the precedent of having multiple sticky threads about the same master. That would probably be more confusing to people looking for advice. </Modhat>

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Adran said:

<Modhat> I'm looking at the threads, and trying to work out the best way to organise it but I don't want to set the precedent of having multiple sticky threads about the same master. That would probably be more confusing to people looking for advice. </Modhat>

Some person with godlike patience might be able to just multiquote the crap out of them or do a fresh rewrite à la PMF? I think the format of years of discussions, part of which is OT, makes some of them really confusing. Having it all in the original post would be way preferable.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Ludvig said:

Some person with godlike patience might be able to just multiquote the crap out of them or do a fresh rewrite à la PMF? I think the format of years of discussions, part of which is OT, makes some of them really confusing. Having it all in the original post would be way preferable.

Maybe have a link to the old thread in the first post of the new one so that people who are interested in reading it can still find it.

Maybe lock the old thread and add a final post at the end explaining why it was locked and it will drop off the front page eventually.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, WWHSD said:

Maybe have a link to the old thread in the first post of the new one so that people who are interested in reading it can still find it.

Maybe lock the old thread and add a final post at the end explaining why it was locked and it will drop off the front page eventually.

This. I think it would be more beneficial for all potential Colette players if the more up-to-date guide (this one) is pinned at the top of the forum.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, WWHSD said:

Any reason other than just their stat-line efficiency for the points?  Is there some specific reason that they are particularly good for Colette?

It's mostly the efficiency, along with being generally hard to deal with at range/before they activate, along with their ability to self heal/stick around. Plus, they no longer compete with Performers or Union Minors.

2 minutes ago, Boomstick said:

It's mostly the efficiency, along with being generally hard to deal with at range/before they activate, along with their ability to self heal/stick around. Plus, they no longer compete with Performers or Union Minors.

It's a shame that Pass Through doesn't let the Hoarcats ignore models when they are being pushed. That would go nicely in a Colette crew.

For some reason I always expect Hoarcats to be any cat hired into a Seamus crew.

• Like 2

• Adran pinned this topic

I think at this point if you are playing Colette still, your best bet is to go for a sort of Arcanist good stuff list. By that I mean, all of the competitive models do fairly good with Colette and might make up for the things she is lacking atm. Plus a little prompt never hurt anyone. What are these models you ask? Well let's look:  Carlos, Cassandra, Myrandabus, Joss. These are all solid Hench people who hold their own in certain strategies and schemes.  Enforcers: Howard, Envy, Johan (maybe. he's a little too expensive now), Cojo (in the right pools), Cerberus, and  Mages.  Minions: Coryphee, Vogel (not as sold as I was when he first came out), Performers, Acolytes, Steamfitter. 

Couple models that have an honorable mention: Mech Rider, Captain, Arcane Effigy (does much less with Colette than others). 

Just shuffling around these models as needed is pretty much how I would play Colette in 2018. Use Prompt liberally, Disappearing Act when you need to. Summon Birds to help out here and there. Hope your good models don't die. 

Caveat: I would still take almost any other Master right now for 2018 and probably get more work done. 

First off, thank you for a wonderful overview of the Collette-themed stuff in the game. I'm (very slowly) starting Collette, and this post has been really helpful in getting an overview of what to do with all these triggers and extra AP.

I'm having a little trouble with this little trick, though

On 7/16/2017 at 8:13 PM, Boomstick said:

- The Perfect Double Act - Why spend Colette's AP walking when she teleports further without using any? Turn one, before Colette goes, get a scheme marker near her before Cassandra activates. Or even when Cassandra activates. All she needs to do is attack Colette once that marker's in place. All Colette needs is a low card (preferably a :mask, but use the fake soulstone if you have to) to make sure Cassandra's attack goes through with whichever trigger you'd like…and not black joker the damage. Note: Colette cannot relent this, she needs to be able to declare her Df trigger. So in a crowd-pleasing opening number, Cassandra appears to stab Colette, push 4" up (or understudy, but the push is built in), and then, in a puff of smoke, Colette appears 6" from where she fell bloodied, but no more! It all works because of the order triggers are taken in. Hell, if you have another marker waiting and another low :mask for Colette, Cassandra should be in range to do it again!

Collette's trigger reads: "After suffering damage, discard target Scheme Marker within 1" to reduce the damage to 0, then place this model anywhere within 6"."

And Cassandra's: "After damaging, push this model up to 4”.

In my understanding of triggers, they both trigger After damaging, with Collette's taking effect first because she's the defender. Then she reduces the damage to 0, which means Cassandra should not get her trigger, since she did not do damage. 

How do you make Cassandra's After damaging trigger take effect before Collette reduces the damage to 0?

• Thanks 1

On 1/23/2018 at 10:56 AM, Carecalmo said:

I'm having a little trouble with this little trick, though

Collette's trigger reads: "After suffering damage, discard target Scheme Marker within 1" to reduce the damage to 0, then place this model anywhere within 6"."

And Cassandra's: "After damaging, push this model up to 4”.

In my understanding of triggers, they both trigger After damaging, with Collette's taking effect first because she's the defender. Then she reduces the damage to 0, which means Cassandra should not get her trigger, since she did not do damage. 

How do you make Cassandra's After damaging trigger take effect before Collette reduces the damage to 0?

You're quite welcome! It was fun to write up!

As to your question, that interaction IS a big ol' ball of timing wonderment, isn't it? In all honesty, when figuring it out I was going by the timing chart on p51 of the little rulebook, and forgot that Defender's trigger resolves first. So, that trick won't work as I have it written. Instead, you's have to start Cassandra engaged with Colette, hit and damage Colette, declaring her :mask trigger, Colette poofs away, Cassandra uses her Nimble to catch up (where, if you have another scheme marker well placed, Cassandra can hit Colette again - though I'd probably suggest using Understudy for Prompt or something at that point. It's very easy to over-extend doing that trick twice.

Anyway, thanks for pointing that fallacy out, I've updated it now!

• Like 1

Question for folks, what's your favourite "put a Scheme Marker within 3" of an enemy model" system?  I was playing a Colette game this Monday with Envy and I didn't get his If I Can't Have It... ability go off until about turn 4 when my Union Miner trundled far enough up the board to toss down tons of False Claims.  Also, Envy with Well Rehearsed is pretty fast in a Colette crew apparently, he was just zooming all over the board with all the Scheme Markers being dropped lol!

On 1/24/2018 at 9:55 PM, retnab said:

Question for folks, what's your favourite "put a Scheme Marker within 3" of an enemy model" system? 

I like your use of Envy! I don't own the band yet, so I haven't played around with him. 

For getting scheme markers within 3" I'm always a fan of Practiced Production (at least 3" away *is* exactly 3" away, after all) though I do find I sometimes need more than one marker that close. In that case I am a fan of a Performer/Mannequin duo, or, with the proper delivery system, a Union Minor for false claim.

I've been thinking of an Ice Dancer as well, but haven't done extensive testing on it yet.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Coryphee are powerful but against anything that ignores Armor they die incredibly fast, so Howard is usually considered a safer choice.  I'd say 1 Performer and Mannequin is a good choice, 2 of each is getting pretty pricey in-game for scheme running.

• Agree 1

On 5/21/2018 at 1:08 AM, retnab said:

Coryphee are powerful but against anything that ignores Armor they die incredibly fast, so Howard is usually considered a safer choice.  I'd say 1 Performer and Mannequin is a good choice, 2 of each is getting pretty pricey in-game for scheme running.

Thank you! 

What about Mechanical Doves? Two is enough or need three?

1 hour ago, Danatolievich said:

Thank you! 

What about Mechanical Doves? Two is enough or need three?

That depends on how you use them. If you take the summoning  upgrade for them then you may well have times that you'll have 3 out. I don't think you'll hugely suffer by only having 2, but I've used 3. 

Corephyee (and the duet) are much less a beater than Howard, but are great for scoring VPs. They do have problems against models which ignore Armour, but they can cover ground and threaten support models much better than anyone else, and against most foes they will last longer than Howard. 

I very rarely want 2 performers or Manniquins. I have used 2 performers before, but its only in very special circumstances. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've been starting up Colette, and is looking to get Rasputina too eventually. What are people's thought on Ice Dancers and the Oiran? I'm a complete sucker for the showgirl aesthetic and want every model within that category eventually. Are they useful or merely redundant in a Colette list?

Oiran are usually not considered worth it, especially with the Mercenary fee (they have a helpful upgrade but it's only available to the Ten Thunders).  Ice Dancers on the other hand are great!  I typically only take one, but they're really good speedy scheme runners.

• Like 1

+1 for the ice dancers. Their push after taking walk/charge can actually be really handy for non-obvious reasons. Of course moving a total of 16" and dropping a scheme marker is pretty sweet, but they actually could be fun in something like Ply for Information (this is just theoretical, I haven't tried it). Walk to just within 1", ply, then push 2" out (unless they have a 3" engagement, they are unable to hit you back now, at least unless they can shoot (to hit you in melee they now have to walk, then hit, wasting an AP)

1 minute ago, retnab said:

I never take more than 1 of each, and TBH I'm more likely to take one Mannequin and Cassie instead for my speedy scheming needs.  Performers' Siren Call being a weaker Lure always makes me a bit sad, but they're not awful.

i mean yeah, but im more curious what do they do when people hire them. i've never even found it worth to hire mannequins so.