Dress Rehearsal - A Colette Guide for Stage Management

Boomstick

6 minutes ago, H4ml3t said:

You could always go with Dark Carnival if you don't like Smoke and Mirrors.

Other than possibly Cooper and the Monkeys, I think that I might actually like it less than Smoke and Mirrors.

I wish the Monkeys were sold seperately and counted as Raptors.

Interesting take on Colette. You're opinion on Shell Game and Cabaret Coreography are almost opposite of mine. I take Shell Game nearly every time and only take Coreography when I know I'm going to want the extra summoning or I bring my Colette Gunline.  Angelica is also one I normally leave home with Colette even though I take her in almost every single list outside of Colette. Prompt is usually enough to get models I want into position. Cassandra or Carlos usually carry PP in my Colette crews. Another model to almost always consider with her is Envy. For 8ss he can give out free focus and loves it when performers drop markers near targets. 

36 minutes ago, Mrbedlam said:

Interesting take on Colette. You're opinion on Shell Game and Cabaret Coreography are almost opposite of mine. I take Shell Game nearly every time and only take Coreography when I know I'm going to want the extra summoning or I bring my Colette Gunline.  Angelica is also one I normally leave home with Colette even though I take her in almost every single list outside of Colette. Prompt is usually enough to get models I want into position. Cassandra or Carlos usually carry PP in my Colette crews. Another model to almost always consider with her is Envy. For 8ss he can give out free focus and loves it when performers drop markers near targets. 

Huh, that is interesting. I do plan on giving Shell Game more of a try, but honestly, I find the idea od spending a stone for a trigger that, if I don't get it I'm cheating in a card just for another card, unhelpful.

As far as Angelica, I agree. That's why I mentioned her, to specifically point out that she's great. In other crews.

I've heard good things about Envy, but didn't mention him, since I don't own the band and have no personal experience. Thanks for coroborating what I've heard though!

And completely agee! The amount I am excited for our upcoming Most Dapper of Lycanthropes is not easily measured!

I just find that with Colette, the amount of times I land the tome trigger is pretty high. and when you do its just that much more of an addition. I'd never toss a tome out of my hand, unless my initial flip just didn't make it. However if I prompt 3 times a turn, chances are I'm getting a tome on one of those. 

1 hour ago, L14u0YkcuF said:

This should be the sticky Colette post - not the entire mumbo jumbo thread of 25+ pages

Thank you for such kind words! I just wanted to present a resource for new players to find her more easily approachable, but I certainly wouldn't complain at this post being stickied!

I find Colette is one of those models with reputation for being un-killable (for good reason) and in most of my games people won't even bother trying to attack her even if it's not actually a bad play. If you know how to deal with her she can be extremely fragile. A simple push is all it takes to make her vulnerable and I find a lot of people just don't put in the effort in taking her out. Most just write her off as un-killable and just try to ignore her to their detriment. 

I like using that to my advantage and now I tend to play Colette extremely aggressive, often putting her in the heart of the opponents crew (with some doves/mannequins for support of course). Once stuck in, I'll swing around her cane to drop additional scheme markers which creates a nice "nest" of markers to keep her safe. This also quickly brings her up to Ml8, which makes disengaging her quite difficult. She can be a nasty distraction piece but you do need to be mindful of pushes and other hard counters.

It's not going to be a great tactic every game but it's nice to see she has other styles of play other than strictly support. 

• Thanks 1

Interesting read.

With regards to Cabaret Choreography, I don't like it because False Claim is kind of unreliable/expensive (it takes a 7, which is ~54% of the cards) to "spam". And without False Claim, mostly using (0) interacts to get markers, the preparation and positioning becomes a lot more complex.

I do like Shell Game since it will be a couple of cards during the game, often from Artificial Soulstone. It's the only Colette exclusive upgrade I think is reliably useful to any degree (looking forward to what Broken Promises brings :)).

• Thanks 1

At least in my local meta Bettari changed the "Colette is unkillable" mindset. I won't even bring Colette if my opponent is playing Thunders anymore just for that reason. Bettari can straight up merc nearly any Arcanist master with an insane level of quickness but with so few wounds, Colette is the most vulnerable. That being said, I agree with @Jordon in that I tend to play her a bit recklessly knowing my opponents know how hard it is to get rid of her

35 minutes ago, Mrbedlam said:

At least in my local meta Bettari changed the "Colette is unkillable" mindset. I won't even bring Colette if my opponent is playing Thunders anymore just for that reason. Bettari can straight up merc nearly any Arcanist master with an insane level of quickness but with so few wounds, Colette is the most vulnerable. That being said, I agree with @Jordon in that I tend to play her a bit recklessly knowing my opponents know how hard it is to get rid of her

Great to know! I haven't faced Asami and friends yet, but a regular opponent of mine has been painting her up, so that's a great heads up.

Most of the time the Thunders player doesn't need her to be resilient. She turns off triggers and SS usage. She can charge through terrain and she has the flay trigger. All they need to do is get to Colette with a decent hand and she's done. Add in Sensei Yu and Shadow Emissary to offer extra pushes and Bettari can come across the board on turn 1. 

• 1 month later...

Really looking forward to seeing this article revised in the next 6 months.  More than any other book I think this release will see the entire meta change in play style and approach.  At least for us Unionists the master upgrades look both highly promising and challenging with real scope for changed play styles and Colette is certainly not left out.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 8/20/2017 at 5:24 AM, dancater said:

Really looking forward to seeing this article revised in the next 6 months.  More than any other book I think this release will see the entire meta change in play style and approach.  At least for us Unionists the master upgrades look both highly promising and challenging with real scope for changed play styles and Colette is certainly not left out.

I certainly look forward to updating it after I've gotten the new upgrades down pat. I'm pretty excited for a more aggressive Colette option, personally.

Meh. I disagree. Saber Trick isn't good enough to be spending master AP on IMO. Her other upgrade seems feast or famine. First of all, which minions do you want to take an AP on? While there are a few heavy hitters that seem good, for the most part minions don't really do all that much. Where it comes in handy is in denying interact placement. Most minions are there for scheme running etc. So being able to walk a model away from the proper placement to drop a scheme marker could be solid, but it requires not only 6" range from Colette  but within 3" of a scheme marker as well. Takes some set up. I would almost always run it if I was playing Stake a Claim with Colette. She could drop a scheme marker next to their stake runner, hit this ability and force them to walk instead of dropping stake. HOWEVER you should probably be running Marcus/Deep in Stake so the point is kinda moot.   focus on perfomers is pretty underwhelming and ice dancers will be way to far away to benefit. 

That being said, Vogel is a good tool in the Colette basket. I'd say he will have the biggest impact on my Colette lists over the upgrades.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...