Damage Negation

Flib Jib

Question

In the rule book under the "poisoned" section there's this line; "During the Upkeep Step, any model with the Poison Condition suffers 1 damage that may not be reduced or negated." came up in a game where there was discussion of what "negation" actually was. It's not actually a mechanic in the book and in all 9 Malifaux books, (old and new) and the FAQ I could only find 4 instances.

1.5 Core rule book "Fast negates slow"

M2E Core rule book: "... reduced or negated" also, a second time in the fluff

Shifting Loyalties: "Arcane Emissary :mask Negation: After damaging an enemy, the target gains the following Condition for the rest of the game: "Negated: This model loses all non-Station Characteristics."

So is negation just a fluffy literary choice that's ambiguous, or does it have some mechanic I'm missing...It's not reduction, not prevention.... what are your thoughts?

4 answers to this question

My hunch is this was something that was originally added likely as future proofing, but never actually got used and has since been abandoned.

Or at some point in the future we'll get a model/upgrade with "negate all damage done to this model by conditions" or something... 

• Like 1

The original meaning, that I take, is that "negated" is just the dictionary definition.  So in that regards, it means cancel.  So "can't be reduced or negated" means "you're taking the poison."

It's different when it's used on a condition.  In the first regard, it isn't being used as a keyword for the game or in reference to an ability.  For the Arcane Emissary ability we're looking at, it gives a specific condition called "Negated," but then specifically defines afterwards what it means in this case.  That's how I've always seen it, anyway.

• Like 1