Fluff Question

Hi all! 

I would love to know all the fluff from start to end, the reason I'm posting here, and please forgive me if this is dumb, I am wondering if there is a good order/ way to absorb it all? I know there's the books, the podcast, the newsletters. Do all of these contain the same stories or is it spread out between all of these media? 

• Like 1

No question is probably too dumb for this place. ;)

The podcast works through the 1st edition books so you get the main story from the start. You can also buy them as relatively cheap downloads. The newsletter stories are mostly standalone so you can take them in any order you want, they have been releasing since way back, not sure if someone has worked out the chronology of them vs the main story. The last edition books continue the story so the important thing for continuity is doing the rulebooks in the right order.

Someone's really got to add this answer to the sticky threads at some point. :)

The books are the books. Current edition is Malifaux 2.0 and following, and those are loosely in chronological order but contain a lot of vignette stories that can be read out of order without harm. Malifaux 1.5 had a definite overarching storyline and so Malifaux 1.5, Rising Powers, Twisting Fates, and Malifaux 2.0 core want to be read fairly strictly in order cover-to-cover. Storm of Shadows was a 1.5 book as well but it started to include vignette stories and so doesn't demand the same strict reading order.

The podcast, called Tales of Malifaux or Breachside Broadcast (after its website) is freely available and are readings directly from the books. At the time of writing this the most recent book is Crossroads from Malifaux 2.0, starting at episode 54, a vignette story. The overarching plot of Malifaux 2.0 core is contained in episodes 48 through 53, and will resume in the as-yet-unreleased (presumed) episode 64. Where did the overarching plot go, you may ask...after Malifaux 2.0 core it was split between minis game, RPG, and magazine!

The e-zine Wyrd Chronicles or just the Chronicles is freely available at drivethroughrpg (as is the rules manual, free of fluff and free of cost). Issues one through three were released at the time of Malifaux 1.5 core, then after a pause it resumed at the time of Malifaux 2.0 core and continued to the time of writing this. Most are vignette stories but there are some which advance the overarching plot. I have not read them all yet, but of the ones I have Wyrd Chronicles issues 6, 14 [read it before Shifting Loyalties], and 21 [read it before Ripples of Fate] have stories which touch on the plot. Also it must be noted that Wyrd has a passion for scattering hints and sneak peeks through the Chronicles--it's unlikely to spoil the stories in the books, but re-reading the stories and looking at the art in retrospect of the book released after that issue may make you giggle.

The RPG Through the Breach has released on drivethroughrpg some "Penny Dreadful" self-contained adventures which advance the overarching plot. Of those the only one I am certain it relates to Malifaux is Nythera, which should be read between Shifting Loyalties and Ripples of Fate. There was a concurrent global Malifaux campaign set around the event, but if any logs of the weekly results were publically kept I haven't found them yet. [Also there's supposed to be one released very soon at the time of writing this, Fire in the Sky, to cross-over with The Other Side, but I cannot find a link for it at the moment. TtB is not my specialty. I've been avoiding adventure spoilers.]

There were other global Malifaux campaigns. Dead of Winter occurred near the end of 1.5 and became the story of Tara. Divergent Paths occurred during Ripples of Fate and became the story of models which will be released possibly later this year?

There is an incomplete character index at Gmorts Chaotica's Malifaux references website (along with some extremely helpful assembly tips!) if you'd prefer to follow a particular master instead of the plot. [I keep intending to cross-reference his page numbers with Breachside Broadcast episode numbers and write that down, buuuuut...]

At the time of writing this there is a special on Bundle of Holding for PDFs of both the Malifaux 1.5 book collection and the first four books (all that currently exist) for Malifaux 2.0. Getting the books gets you the fluff included with every model's stat card, as well as some hints of italicization and line spacing which a podcast, however excellent, cannot convey.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

There's a whole lot of fluff summed up and presented in a nice timeline in the TTB Core Rules, which is out next month. This includes a bunch of never-before-seen fluff such as what happened when the Breach closed (and why it was closed), Tyrants on Earth, how the Union and Ten Thunders came to power, and so on.

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, Mason said:

There's a whole lot of fluff summed up and presented in a nice timeline in the TTB Core Rules, which is out next month. This includes a bunch of never-before-seen fluff such as what happened when the Breach closed (and why it was closed), Tyrants on Earth, how the Union and Ten Thunders came to power, and so on.

Oh wow!  I want this, but I don't play TTB (nor am likely to start since I don't have anyone to play with... ), will any of this appear in a Malifaux source book?

20 minutes ago, Da Git said:

Oh wow!  I want this, but I don't play TTB (nor am likely to start since I don't have anyone to play with... ), will any of this appear in a Malifaux source book?

The future is unwritten.

If it does, it won't be for a good while.

This may be a large shot, as we have not seen novels, but I would love to see a Netflix, Hulu series. As no other gaming company has really done a Live Action movie, or series.  I think this would be amazing. I am sure this far fetch and just a dream for myself, but Wyrd has the story already, and Game of Thrones will be ending soon. Wyrd we need a new "Game of Thrones" Show!  

• Like 4